You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So many things to do in such a great country and region. I really liked the mountains of Sapa and Motorbiking along the mountains of the Chinese border. No other westerners for a week, slowly touring along stunning scenery and not knowing where you were going to sleep that evening.

I loved partying in Hanoi and Saigon, hiding from the police in a bar past curfew is such a laugh and drinking Bia Hoi in the street with locals and other backpackers. There were some sweet views on the rooftop bars...

Then there was getting a new suit in Hoi An that was equally nuts and money as fuck. Canyoning in Da Lat was really boss as well.

I can explain more if any of that interests you, I'm just knackered at the moment. 

• 1 month later...

Not very. 3 weeks is giving Vietnam a little of a rush I think. To cram another country in, which needs 2 weeks in itself, would leave your head spinning and your wallet empty.

All in my opinion obvs. It's possible for sure, but why rush things.

SE Asia is amazing, it needs digesting slowly to fully appreciate it.

• Upvote 1

Been told this a lot. It's been described as 20 years behind Vietnam, more naive, less commercial and more friendly.

1. Is this possible? And

2. If we only have 3 weeks how feasible is this?

it's a struggle to do Vietnam and Laos in 3 weeks.  I've done Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.  With Laos (which was the first one I did, about 10 years ago), you really need 3 weeks or so to get used to the tranquility and the otherworldliness of the country.  It was like nowhere else I'd ever been on earth.  Went from northern Thailand across the Mekong into Laos.  No real roads to speak of, tiny villages on stilts, I spent 3-4 days travelling down the Mekong on a very agreeable small boat, stopping off to stay in glorified shacks fighting off mosquitoes.  Spent 4 or 5 nights in Luang Prabang, which was the most heavenly place (though I'm informed is now virtually ruined by student and hipster 'adventure seekers').  it was absolute bliss - the evening markets, getting up at dawn to watch the monks walking the streets and receiving their food for the day from the locals.  I flew down to Vientiane, the capital, though there is precious little to see or enjoy there imo.  Pakse and Champasak in the South are lovely, and I spent some time chilling in the one of the 4000 islands before crossing back over to Thailand. 

So, if you're thinking of going over there again Col, maybe focus on Vietnam first.  

• Upvote 3

Stringers found a nail but instead of hitting it on the head- he smashed it to pieces.

The beauty of Laos, Thailand and Cambodia especially are the laid back nature of their very existence. Trying to rush around and squeeze too much in negates some of what makes it so awesome. It's the days when you've nothing much going on, when you come accross random awesomeness that makes it so brilliant. A fully loaded itinerary is a travellers worst nightmare. Turn up, and just let shit happen.

Breathe it in slowly, don't chug it like a bong.

• Upvote 1

Stringers found a nail but instead of hitting it on the head- he smashed it to pieces.

The beauty of Laos, Thailand and Cambodia especially are the laid back nature of their very existence. Trying to rush around and squeeze too much in negates some of what makes it so awesome. It's the days when you've nothing much going on, when you come accross random awesomeness that makes it so brilliant. A fully loaded itinerary is a travellers worst nightmare. Turn up, and just let shit happen.

Breathe it in slowly, don't chug it like a bong.

I didn't take stringers advice that way, but it's certainly our plan to do whatever the fuck we want each day.

• Upvote 1

I didn't take stringers advice that way, but it's certainly our plan to do whatever the fuck we want each day.

Is fucking right.

Booze, bitches, beaches, bikes (motor powered obvs), and err temples and shit.

It's fucking awesome. You'll have a blast mate

Will you do any biking at all? One of the best things I ever did was hiring a Minsk for a week and driving up the mountains on the Chinese border.

I'll also echo the sentiments regarding Laos. Slow boat down the Mekong and Luang Prabang were in-fuckin-credible. I managed Laos in a week, though I would have loved more time.

Will you do any biking at all? One of the best things I ever did was hiring a Minsk for a week and driving up the mountains on the Chinese border.

I'll also echo the sentiments regarding Laos. Slow boat down the Mekong and Luang Prabang were in-fuckin-credible. I managed Laos in a week, though I would have loved more time.

We've only a very rough plan Rem and nothing is set in stone.

We fly into Saigon, couple of nights saying hello, then we hire bikes and travel up the coast to Hanoi. A few nights there partying then come back down doing the killing fields, temples, tunnels and museums giving ourselves a couple of nights in Saigon before flying back.

That's as much as it's planned apart from folksy has booked us one night in a nice hotel with a Vietnamese cooking course which should be brilliant.