You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Wiggins just a Armstrong #2 ??

Gav

The French and others have asked questions about the success of the track cyclists too, can it not be that British cycling currently has the best set up, with the best coaching and development staff and great talent spotters who are able to identify the best up and coming riders?

The answer to your question is yes, British cycling is the best at all those things but thats not why they win so much on the track.

I think a big reason BC does so well is because we are one of only two nations along with Australia who give a toss about track. I guarantee you that any rider from the european heartland of cycling would sooner win a single stage of the tour or a one day classic than an olympic track gold medal. They would be both more presigious and more lucrative in terms of prize money, contracts and sponsorship.

Its nice for GB to win a load of medals at the big championships but in terms of cycling prestige its largely irrelevant.

Armstrong used to ride off from the front of the peleton and blow away the best climbers in the world like they were amatuers out for an afternoon ride.

Wiggins has never done or shown he is capable of doing anything of the sort , the times and power outputs are all way down from the Armstrong era to.

The competition at the Tour was weak aswell , this years Tour will be very interesting with Contador , Rodriguez and A Schleck.

Il'd be gob smacked if Wiggins was doped and Brailsford was orchastrating a doping program , just cant see it.

Proper shithouse thread this.

Its really not. Fans of cycling have to be cynical about riders and DS's claiming to be clean because we've heard it all before. Every pro cyclist has to deal with the legacy not just of Armstrong, but Anquetil, Coppi, Merckx, Fignon, Kelly, Simpson and a whole load more besides. Almost all the top riders throughout the history of the sport have either admitted doping or been caught.

Sky said they would never hire an ex-doper but this autumn we've seen Bobby Julich, Sean Yates and Geert Lienders all leave the team because they're all ex-dopers. There is no way Sky should be above suspicion.

FWIW my opinion is that the peloton is getting cleaner because the advantage the riders can gain from the undetectable doping methods are getting smaller.

Armstrong used to ride off from the front of the peleton and blow away the best climbers in the world like they were amatuers out for an afternoon ride.

Wiggins has never done or shown he is capable of doing anything of the sort , the times and power outputs are all way down from the Armstrong era to.

The competition at the Tour was weak aswell , this years Tour will be very interesting with Contador , Rodriguez and A Schleck.

Il'd be gob smacked if Wiggins was doped and Brailsford was orchastrating a doping program , just cant see it.

Rodriguez might not be there, his team hasn't made the world tour for this year so they are dependant on a wild card.

Its really not. Fans of cycling have to be cynical about riders and DS's claiming to be clean because we've heard it all before. Every pro cyclist has to deal with the legacy not just of Armstrong, but Anquetil, Coppi, Merckx, Fignon, Kelly, Simpson and a whole load more besides. Almost all the top riders throughout the history of the sport have either admitted doping or been caught.

Sky said they would never hire an ex-doper but this autumn we've seen Bobby Julich, Sean Yates and Geert Lienders all leave the team because they're all ex-dopers. There is no way Sky should be above suspicion.

FWIW my opinion is that the peloton is getting cleaner because the advantage the riders can gain from the undetectable doping methods are getting smaller.

Sean? Was he caught doping?

Sean? Was he caught doping?

Talking to a lad who knew his onions on this last week funnily enough, problem was I was a bit drunk at the time but he told me Kelly was caught twice I think and Stephen Roaches name is mentioned in the famous diary of the (spanish?) guy who basically invented doping.

The Spanish fella got banned but there was a load of guys who worked under him who have carried it on.

Told me theres a brilliant book on it but I can't remember much from that night. Sorry for my vague information.

Talking to a lad who knew his onions on this last week funnily enough, problem was I was a bit drunk at the time but he told me Kelly was caught twice I think and Stephen Roaches name is mentioned in the famous diary of the (spanish?) guy who basically invented doping.

The Spanish fella got banned but there was a load of guys who worked under him who have carried it on.

Told me theres a brilliant book on it but I can't remember much from that night. Sorry for my vague information.

Your mate might be getting a bit confused, Roche's doctor was an Italian named Conconi, the Spaniard who came a few years after him was called Fuentes.

Your mate might be getting a bit confused, Roche's doctor was an Italian named Conconi, the Spaniard who came a few years after him was called Fuentes.

I reckon I was the one getting confused but cheers for that, bang on with the names.

Any idea of the book he was on about, its about doping in cycling he was telling me its excellent for any sports fan?

Doping is also supposed to be rampant in f**tb*ll as well, apparantly the drug testing is useless.

Just googled it there mate and it won sports book of the year, its called The Secret Race. Definitely going to get a read of it.

ah ok, Ty Hamiltons book. I read it a few months ago its very good, Seven Deadly Sins is the ideal companion.

The roche/kelly thing had me thinking of older titles.