You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manc's. Anfield Sunday 23rd 1:30pm

The Chef

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wont happen, and even if it did, there is no desire to FIX things.

Because they are already fixed.

What we are watching is not "sport" anymore.

It just repeats and repeats.

The shit reffing against us in these games never ends.

Its as predictable as crackers at christmas.

You know I feel like that too sometimes, especially when our players, especially Suarez, get nothing. I can see he's an irritating moaner on the pitch and I wonder if that goes against him, but there are many other moaning players who still seem to get decisions. For me it's ever since Ferguson made that comment about him diving that he gets very very little.

The thing for me is that I have lost a little interest in the game over the past few years, since the money men have come to play fantasy football. The refereeing has definitely got worse too. Now whether that's just due to dropping standards or what you are implying, I don't know.

Didn't get to see the game (don't ask), so I have a question or two. From the sound of things, there were a number of 50-50 decisions for the referee:

- Jonjo/Evans tackle: red or yellow, if so for which player

- Evans tackle on Agger in the box: pen or no pen

- Evra tackle (on Sterling): red, yellow, or foul, was it in the box

- Scholes tackle in the box(also on Sterling): pen or no pen, if so red or yellow

- Evans tackle on Suarez in box: pen or no pen

- Johnson tackle on Valencia in box: pen or no pen

- van Persie tackle on Suso: red or yellow

Is that accurate? And, if it is, from the looks of it, every one of those was given United's way. That's rather hard to swallow, even for someone likes me who thinks blaming the referee is usually a loser's excuse.

I think you are right about Borini.He looks a bit shocked with the pace of a typical Premier League game.Some players do need time to adapt,but why do we always seem to buy them?.I cant see Stevie starting up front for us and I am not entirely convinced with Shelvey.He gave the ball away quite a lot today.Suso looks to have a bit of class though.

Quite true, we always do.

Shelvey is by far the finished product and is often culprit of giving the ball away and making the wrong decision. But what he has is character and frequent flashes of quality. He nearly always imposes himself in the game too. Thats why I think in time he will come good.

It was weird seeing Henderson come on today. I'd really forgotten about the guy and his ever bobbling head.

Borini was bought in to be first choice. I doubt Rodgers would talk about him being an exciting signing if he wasn't intending to start him in most games and was going to use him as mostly a sub.

He was?

As for the second part, of course he would, he was his first signing, a good young player who was just finding his feet at the top level of club and country - he is.

He was?

As for the second part, of course he would, he was his first signing, a good young player who was just finding his feet at the top level of club and country - he is.

Without a doubt. You don't spend a third of your budget for a player who could be a good back up when you don't even has a starter for him to compete with.

The Dirk Kuyt who scored a crap loads of goals from right wing, not to mention a hat trick against Man Utd? Criminally undervalued.

Aside from that, I agree with most of your post. Borini looks lost and simply not good enough. His movement hasn't seemed anything to phone Rome about either, in my opinion.

I think we should have Stevie Suarez and Sterling starting up front. If we need him in the middle, we should play Suso, who looked very adept today. He definitely has composure and quality, lets just hope he is also able to impose himself on a game too. If he can do that he can be a real player.

Shelvey will be a very good player for us too. Feel sorry for him today. The ref expected him to either not challenge for that ball or allow his leg to get broken.

What does Kuyts goal scoring exploits have to do with his first touch? Do you deny it was shit? Also a players technical ability is far more important under Rodgers than it has been under just about any previous manager we've had. When we spend an age patiently building up the play, it becomes obvious where the leaky sieves are that fuck it up by giving away the ball time and time again. And given we don't look for scoring chances by hoisting the long ball anymore it hurts the team much more.

I'm not saying Borini has no value, just that he should not be playing out wide in a team that is attempting to play a pure short passing game. We create few enough chances as it is despite our possession. The midfield pretty have to all be technically competent (better than that actually). Optimally every single player on the pitch should be.

Didn't get to see the game (don't ask), so I have a question or two. From the sound of things, there were a number of 50-50 decisions for the referee:

- Scholes tackle in the box(also on Sterling): pen or no pen, if so red or yellow

It's all subjective, but for me

1 - both should have got a yellow

2- I thought Agger could have got a pen for that, but it was one of those maybe maybe nots

3 - just outside the box, a yellow was right

4 - can't remember scholes tackle...

5 - evans might just have got to the ball....

6 - NEVER a pen on Valencia, he fell over

7- for me a yellow, but if Shelvey's was a red...

Is that accurate? And, if it is, from the looks of it, every one of those was given United's way. That's rather hard to swallow, even for someone likes me who thinks blaming the referee is usually a loser's excuse.

Yellow jonjo

Arguable, but honestly? no peno

Yellow, a foul, outside.

Nothing

no peno

Yellow valencia for acting like a cunt

yellow at worst

Halsey, red for being bought by slur.

What does Kuyts goal scoring exploits have to do with his first touch?

:lol:

Also a players technical ability is far more important under Rodgers than it has been under just about any previous manager we've had.

Like, for instance, playing for Holland?

- Jonjo/Evans tackle: red or yellow, if so for which player - Both players

- Evans tackle on Agger in the box: pen or no pen - Wasn't a tackle Evans had hold of and was pulling back Aggers right arm. Pen for us.

The above is how I saw the decisions

He was?

Without a doubt. You don't spend a third of your budget for a player who could be a good back up when you don't even has a starter for him to compete with.

Pretty much. Also on the exciting bit, most people disagreed after he was signed that Borini was an exciting signing and people were actually claiming that there was another signing in the pipeline, which would be the actual exciting one.

Carroll was still in the side- you are assuming Rodgers knew what the budget was and with hindsight seeing him unable to sell Carroll at any price.

Right, so you're saying the Andy Carroll he actively touted since he got here and gave approximately 0 opportunities on the pitch was meant to be our first choice striker ahead of Borini? So was Carroll supposedly going to play on the left with Borini as his back up?

Yes, I am assuming Rodgers knew what the budget was because it would be absolutely retarded if he didn't. He did though, as he confirmed the day after the window closed by affirming how "frank" and "honest" the owners have been throughout the whole process.

Pretty much. Also on the exciting bit, most people disagreed after he was signed that Borini was an exciting signing and people were actually claiming that there was another signing in the pipeline, which would be the actual exciting one.

Agree, it was a winger - he thought other players were nailed on and he thought he would be able to go out again after he flogged Carroll and bring in another CF. Which suggests Borini was not a first 11.

Hendo was terrible when he came on. I have no problems with playing a backward or a sideway pass per se.. but for him that's his first instinct. Joe Allen for example, you could see that he assesses his options, holds onto the ball, looks for better options, then if a backpass is the right one, then he'll make it..

Jordan on the other hand, shows for the ball, hears footsteps behind him, and passes it back straightaway. I mean, anyone in the world could do what he does surely.. You just need to be fit, run around a lot, harass your opponents, and give the ball straight back where you got it from.

What does Kuyts goal scoring exploits have to do with his first touch? Do you deny it was shit? Also a players technical ability is far more important under Rodgers than it has been under just about any previous manager we've had. When we spend an age patiently building up the play, it becomes obvious where the leaky sieves are that fuck it up by giving away the ball time and time again. And given we don't look for scoring chances by hoisting the long ball anymore it hurts the team much more.

I'm not saying Borini has no value, just that he should not be playing out wide in a team that is attempting to play a pure short passing game. We create few enough chances as it is despite our possession. The midfield pretty have to all be technically competent (better than that actually). Optimally every single player on the pitch should be.

What are you on about? You didn't mention the words "first touch", you said Kuyt was shit "on the ball", which is a load fucking bollocks because he was often very good. Was he the most adept of players, not really - but his decision making and, 50% of the time, his end product was very good. I don't deny that he was often just as frustrating too, and did some utterly shit things which made me pull my hair out.

Im not disagreeing about Borini though. I agree. He has been terrible so far and I think its fair to expect more. He needs to improve an incredible amount to deserve a starting place for the team and justify Brendan spending a third of our budget on him.

Quite true, we always do.

Shelvey is by far the finished product and is often culprit of giving the ball away and making the wrong decision. But what he has is character and frequent flashes of quality. He nearly always imposes himself in the game too. Thats why I think in time he will come good.

It was weird seeing Henderson come on today. I'd really forgotten about the guy and his ever bobbling head.

Henderson can bob his fucking head like Paula Radcliffe if he played anywhere near what his transfer fee would suggest.The same goes for Henderson and Carroll.Over £60 million between them and none of them in our starting line up.

Thought we were the better team on the whole. I'm not normally one for criticising refereeing decisions but why is it that ever time against this mob we end up having highly contentious things go against us. Perhaps I have a selective memory but I can’t never us getting consistently lucky decisions in our favour in these fixtures, especially in comparison with the sizeable number they seem to get (with perhaps the exception of Carras tackle on Nani a couple of years ago which could have been a red card).

While decisions in this match tend to be picked over to the point of no return due to its high profile nature, it would be great if for once it was some dodgy penalty that had been awarded to ourselves rather than them in every instance.