You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Yeah, ok.....

I watched the game, what did he do? He was very rarely in the box, kept hitting the deck with very little contact, didn't get an assist or a goal and lost possession every time people played it into his feet.

He won a few knocks on, well done he's 6'3 I expect him to win a few fucking flick on.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Yeah, ok.....

He did what he's good at. He used his body and height to hustle about a bit. I mean, it wasn't Suarez vs Norwich, was it? It wasn't Ronaldo vs Mancs. It wasn't even Crouch vs Arsenal.

It was a very bog-standard performance. They played direct football and he did some flick ones and knock downs. With the best will in the world, that's not something to be blown away by. Bog standard in the lower leagues, that type of performance.

I watched the game, what did he do? He was very rarely in the box, kept hitting the deck with very little contact, didn't get an assist or a goal and lost possession every time people played it into his feet.

He won a few knocks on, well done he's 6'3 I expect him to win a few fucking flick on.

Yeah, ok....

Guest Numero Veinticinco

That said, the video of Andy's best bits that goes around doesn't do anything for me at all, and some say he looks amazing. Different perspectives, I guess.

I'm quite certain that Andy Carroll will do better on West Ham's pitch than our bench! If he does well for the Hammers we should be happy as it will lead to a sale. We can't lament what he does for them and extrapolate that to say he would be doing the same here. Rodgers doesn't fancy the player so we were right to ship him out. The mistake, of course, has been in not bringing another striker in, as we are definitely short up top.

Two thirds of the team is excellent. Our defence and midfield stands comparison with other top teams. We are short up front and need some luck avoiding injuries in that department. Hopefully in January we will address this issue.

I think he'll do well there because he is a good player. Like most I wish he was still here.

agreed and i really hope he bangs in 20 goals this season nothing would please me more

i think he has a role to play all we have left our selfs is with a plan A when that fails we a knackered personally i dont care how we play aslong as we win be it with the ball on the floor or a high ball for the likes of carroll to flick on the game is about results nowadays not how you get them

Bad news for Liverpool again then. But I suppose all those that are happy that he's gone, despite it being detrimental to the squad, will raise another smile.

It's fair enough being happy that he's gone (I'm not though) but anyone happy he's got injured has lost it. It's probably the only way this situation could have gotten worse. For him to get injured not play and have everyone start questioning his durability only serves to drive any fee we will get for him further down. You have to hope he bangs them in and we get most of our fee back if we're not going to keep him here.

Hopefully it's just a minor strain and he'll be back for their next game.

I'm quite certain that Andy Carroll will do better on West Ham's pitch than our bench! If he does well for the Hammers we should be happy as it will lead to a sale. We can't lament what he does for them and extrapolate that to say he would be doing the same here. Rodgers doesn't fancy the player so we were right to ship him out. The mistake, of course, has been in not bringing another striker in, as we are definitely short up top.

Two thirds of the team is excellent. Our defence and midfield stands comparison with other top teams. We are short up front and need some luck avoiding injuries in that department. Hopefully in January we will address this issue.

Change the bloody record.

Thought he must have scored when i heard the hoo har about his debut but alas no. According to Jonathan Pearce though it was a 'devastating flick on.' Indeed. When I watched him he was doing what he did here, ie meandering around the final third when he should have been in the box. He will score goals there no doubt, as big Sam likes his big man 'up top'.

Andy Carroll will simply never win with some people. He'll score goals with his head and they'll say stuff about big man, route one and so on. Suarez will score a goal with his head and it's amazing skill, deadly finishing etc.

The received wisdom is that Carroll will do better at West Ham because they'll play to his strengths, as if is a fault of the player that we didn't utilise him properly when he was here.

You know, you can criticise the direct ball all you like, but Liverpool has always, always had that as an option. We've never been one of these pure tika-taka teams like Barcelona. Well, now we've got no Plan B I think we're going to struggle to break some teams down.

My favourite thing is what Sky Sports analysts consider to be 'unplayable'.

Have I gone through some vortex where the game of football is a contest of 2 oversized lugs leaping to see which one can get some contact on a hoofed football? Where every other single facet of the game is irrelevant?

To be fair I'm being unkind to Andy, I've heard that once in a blue moon when he's given a couple of minutes to turn and a dozen yards of space in front of him he can unleash some belt of a shot with his cannon left peg.

Teams should have the ability to mix it up, and the arial game is a big part of the english game. As is crossing balls into the box. We don't have that option this season. He's also a much better footballer than people give him credit for and has great pace and holdup play.

Agreed.

If Rodgers can't fit Carroll into his system, he really needs to question his own abilities as a manager. It's as if he sees football as a straight choice between Barcelona's tiki-taka and Fat Sam's Route One nonsense. There are nuances in between, you know.

I've already seen a couple of games this season where we've been crying out for somebody with a bit of presence in the box or someone to hold the ball up (using his feet!) and bring team-mates into play.

Carroll will be very successful at West Ham, but not in a good way: more in a shocking-waste-of-talent way, a bit like when Chuck Berry got to Number One with My Ding-A-Ling.

Change the bloody record.

Prior to responding to you I have one post on this thread. If you are determined to pull people up for being repetitive on TLW then you are taking on a big job. Since we didn't get a striker on the last day of the window we've had numerous posters giving the same sort of despondent view over and over again. Sift through some threads. Your work is not done.

It would seem if you try to take a 'glass half full' type of view then the record needs to be changed. That's unfortunate as I believe we need a range of views. It was a disappointing last day to the window, but overall it was a good window. But the whole thing is swayed by a disappointing day.

I've been a red for years. I have long abandoned the notion that we have the best fans in the world. At the moment the panic stricken are in the ascendency on here, that's for sure. I see little poise in our fan base and little ability to measure and wait. Just a lot of squawking.

Bwaak! We're all gonna die!

Bwaak! Where's our striker?

Better get used to the British press talking up Carroll's play. It's got everything:

Snooty Liverpool snub England's greatest young hope and are given a bloody nose for their trouble by honest, man-of-the-people Big Sam. Down-to-earth English manager allows grateful lad to play the gritty, shoulder-to-shoulder football his bloodline demands. Big-man-up-front proceeds to outscore effete Johnny Foreigner (or if he doesn't score, to create more assists; or if he doesn't create an assist, to 'bully the opposition defenders': better than Johnny Foreigner, anyway)

Writes itself. This one will run and run.

If Rodgers can't fit Carroll into his system, he really needs to question his own abilities as a manager. It's as if he sees football as a straight choice between Barcelona's tiki-taka and Fat Sam's Route One nonsense. There are nuances in between, you know.

Dalglish had a more direct style and gave up playing Carroll. Bad manager?