You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Any spare change la?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Any spare change la?

• Nothing to no-one, ignore them all
    • Nothing to no-one, tell them to fuck off
    • Depends on what they look like/ask me
    • Yes to Big Issue sellers, no to beggars
    • Yes to everyone because I want an easy life
    • Yes to everyone because I want to help them

The Smackhead thread got me thinking about beggars and Big Issue sellers etc

If anyone asks me for money on the streets I say no. I just can't bring myself to get out of the mindset "they'll only spend it on hooch/smack" not to mention the fact that in this day and age every penny counts

There's loads in town and I occasionally get asked if I'm on West Derby road. I don't consider myself rude but I do firmly say "No." and offer no explanation or excuse. If they follow or try and convince me I just shake my head and not offer them a single other words and they always give up and try and find another sap.

I used to buy a Big Issue off a fella on Walton Vale every time the new one was out, had a little chat when I went past, pleasantries really but one day he did the "oh it's me last one mate" effort so I fucked him off and never bought one again.

So the question is how do you deal with beggars? (I'm lumping Big Issue sellers in with them although I know they're technically not begging)

I completely ignore them and very rarely get asked twice.

I think I must inadvertently have a permanent look on my face like I want to kick your head in. I always seem to be ignored by charity collectors, smackheads, even the reps abroad who try to drag you into bars/restaurants leave me alone. Which is nice.

I absolutely love being hounded by these chuggers (charity muggers).

My modus operandi is thus :

"Do you have a few spare minutes please Sir ?"

"No problemo but I've gotta be back at work, so..."

"Well Sir, today I would like to highlight...", {At this point my mind has already drifted off and zoned out}, "...so if you could pledge as little as..."

"The thing is, I already give £50 a month directly from my wages to Cancer Research." . Usually stops em dead in their tracks this, but some fool hardy sorts blunder on...

"Err, oh well that's fantastic Sir but perhaps you could spare just a couple of pounds more...?"

"Well I will, if you're prepared to match it."

"Pardon me, what do you mean Sir ?"

"Well. I'm prepared to pledge £2 a month to your charity if you're prepared to match it..."

"What ? You mean if I give £2 a month ?"

"No, I mean if you give £52 a month to match my own charitable donation."

That usually kills it stone dead, but very, very rarely you'll get some slack jawed cunt (usually a cheeky bit of precocious young fanny), dare to venture on even further...

"I'm not allowed to do that Sir, but if..."

"Well if I could afford to donate any more money to charity then it would have to be to Cancer Research too. Just would have to be.". This ALWAYS suckers them right in.

"If you don't mind me asking Sir, why Cancer Research ?" (Gotcha, hook line and sinker...)

"Because my 1 year old daughter died from cancer last year." (Checkmate and the knockout !)

"Errr, oh, errr I'm so, so sorry Sir, don't let me stop you. I'm really sorry, have a nice afternoon in work. Goodbye"

Using this tried and tested formula I have had several chuggers literally in tears.

• Upvote 1

I go with Scrontium Dog, the Big Issue was a decent idea when it started, but now its become an occupation to some who are making loads from it and dont want to give it up. It can also be at worst intimidating, at best make people feel uncomfortable when they are stood in a prime spot right outside a station entrance for example and there's no way around them. But at least they are trying to earn their dough, unlike beggars who are expecting it for nothing.

I go with Scrontium Dog, the Big Issue was a decent idea when it started, but now its become an occupation to some who are making loads from it and dont want to give it up. It can also be at worst intimidating, at best make people feel uncomfortable when they are stood in a prime spot right outside a station entrance for example and there's no way around them. But at least they are trying to earn their dough, unlike beggars who are expecting it for nothing.

Big Issue sellers are also the first point of contact for drug users that find themselves in a different town/city and need to know where to score. I was told that by a heroin user I was working with. I work with a number of heroin/drug users as part of my job.

Big Issue sellers yes, at least they are trying to do something to earn money. Beggars no.

And the twats "ive lost my wallet, have you got 50p?.." or .."Ive just been released from Hospital" etc can fuck off. Huge Manc problem with this.

There used to be some lad who hung around West Derby village with a hi-viz on and a petrol can, every fucking time you went out the twat would pull you up and give it the "eh mate, you couldnt lend us a couple of quid for some juice for the van could you" while he waved the petrol can in your face. Used to do my head right in, one saturday afternoon I was coming out of the Sefton half cut and there was a load of young scallies legging him up the road. I nearly pissed meself.

I was in town years ago and some homeless guy was trying to kip in a shop doorway, a couple of pissed up twats were lobbing coppers at him thinking they were funny.

It seemed like the guy was sleeping through it but in fact he was just trying to ignore the pricks.

One of them took it too far though and tried to piss on him, the homeless guy jumped up sharpish and gave this lad the biggest shoein of his life, quickly followed by a load of us shouting Rocky, Rocky, Rocky.

There used to be some lad who hung around West Derby village with a hi-viz on and a petrol can, every fucking time you went out the twat would pull you up and give it the "eh mate, you couldnt lend us a couple of quid for some juice for the van could you" while he waved the petrol can in your face. Used to do my head right in, one saturday afternoon I was coming out of the Sefton half cut and there was a load of young scallies legging him up the road. I nearly pissed meself.

Unfortunately around here there are loads of naive students who fall for that everytime.

They're a fucking blight. I think I'm just going to chin the next one who hurls abuse at me after I ignore him. The cheek of the bastards. I work hard for my money, why am I going to give it to some stale toothless prick who accosts me in the road?

And that brings me on to kids who want me to buy alcohol for them. Another disease of the streets. Yes, because I'm going to risk getting a criminal record and losing my job just so you can swig cheap cider on a street corner, aren't I? They haven't even got the brains they were born with. Have you noticed, it's always the nice kids who get abducted and murdered. If serial killers just targeted these cancers instead, they'd enjoy far more popular support.

They're a fucking blight. I think I'm just going to chin the next one who hurls abuse at me after I ignore him. The cheek of the bastards. I work hard for my money, why am I going to give it to some stale toothless prick who accosts me in the road?

And that brings me on to kids who want me to buy alcohol for them. Another disease of the streets.

I agree with this bit. We had to wait. So can they.

Genuine question: are Big Issue sellers smackheads, homeless people, philosophically committed to the cause, or all of the above?

I've often wondered this as I've walked past, erm, bit frightened to admit, without ever buying a copy.

The original idea was to give homeless people an opportunity to earn a bit of money, whilst also receiving support, counselling and advice on how to move on and get off the streets.

Unfortunately the system is open to abuse.

And that brings me on to kids who want me to buy alcohol for them. Another disease of the streets. Yes, because I'm going to risk getting a criminal record and losing my job just so you can swig cheap cider on a street corner, aren't I? They haven't even got the brains they were born with. Have you noticed, it's always the nice kids who get abducted and murdered. If serial killers just targeted these cancers instead, they'd enjoy far more popular support.

Have a word Stronts.

Genuine question: are Big Issue sellers smackheads, homeless people, philosophically committed to the cause, or all of the above?

I've often wondered this as I've walked past, erm, bit frightened to admit, without ever buying a copy.

Not necessarily homeless anymore