You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Being Liverpool

bonesman

Guest Numero Veinticinco
The portrait was a gift from a South Wales charity that he had been involved with. What's he supposed to do, leave it to gather dust in his garage? The picture means a lot to him because of who gave it to him. It's not like he went out and got a picture of himself commissioned.

And the meditation thing is not part of his training methods, it was arranged by the club before he'd even arrived.

That's twice you've quashed nonsense today. First the 'clearly a stunt by the club' thing, now the 'egotistical' thing. Duly repped.

And those glass doors in Gerrard's house are fucking brilliant, love them.

I wasn't going to say anything, but in anybody else's house, they'd be weird. When you're a European Cup winning footballer, they're obligatory. It's actually a law. The 'Cool Sportsmen Achievement Door' Law, May 26th, 2005. It was rushed in.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fucking hell lads. Is it just me or do you lot just sit and wait for stuff to moan about? Alright he got given a picture of himself by a charity, I guess that means he's a self centered tosser. If our results had been better no one would have said fuck all.

As for the series, it can get to fuck. Looks like we'll be even more of a laughing stock after this is done with us. Only thing can possibly do is get us more yank bandwagoners who will hopefully buy shirts and provide some revenue for the club. At least that way we might have £200k to spend on players next transfer window.

Before Dave put it all into context reading back through this was hilarious.

People did have a point in the sense that having a picture of yourself on the wall(i.e. quasi Alan Partridge behaviour) is weird. And its hilarious reading people disagreeing with that. Of course its fucking odd. How the fuck would that not be odd.

But once Dave put it into context of course it made sense. But fuck me, some people on this site like nothing more than to scream "HYSTERICAL FANNIES" at everything. I don't think noticing something that appears at first to be weird is being hysterical. It happens to people every fucking day.

People did have a point in the sense that having a picture of yourself on the wall(i.e. quasi Alan Partridge behaviour) is weird. And its hilarious reading people disagreeing with that. Of course its fucking odd. How the fuck would that not be odd.

But once Dave put it into context of course it made sense. But fuck me, some people on this site like nothing more than to scream "HYSTERICAL FANNIES" at everything. I don't think noticing something that appears at first to be weird is being hysterical. It happens to people every fucking day.

Afterall, it is a fucking funny picture.

You perfectly balanced fanny.

Fuck off back to your Football manager 2045/2046 season, you dribbling sky-gen mong.

Edited by Kevin D

People did have a point in the sense that having a picture of yourself on the wall(i.e. quasi Alan Partridge behaviour) is weird.

Sorry but I thought it was pretty normal for people to have pictures and stuff on their walls.

I know several people who have photos on the wall. In fact I have four of me in rally cars and several trophies around and on the desk I have my computer on.

I had no idea this behaviour could be construed as unusual.

Sorry but I thought it was pretty normal for people to have pictures and stuff on their walls.

I know several people who have photos on the wall. In fact I have four of me in rally cars and several trophies around and on the desk I have my computer on.

I had no idea this behaviour could be construed as unusual.

Yes but I bet yours aren't shit Andy Warhol tributes with you looking pretentious.

Hasn't he got a fucking attic?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

At first, I thought this would be quite good. A decent director, with a track record of decent documentaries. But now it's here, and things are coming out, I'm not feeling at all easy.

At first, I thought this would be quite good. A decent director, with a track record of decent documentaries. But now it's here, and things are coming out, I'm not feeling at all easy.

When I was younger, part of the magic of going to a football game, was similar to the magic of going to a rock concert:- there was a real sense of wonder for the duration of the performance;

I'll give you two examples for comparison - my first trip to Anfield (1966) and my first Rock Concert (Manchester 1972 - David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust Tour)

In those days, we saw our heroes on the tele, and their pictures in the appropriate papers and magazines, but the real value of the entertainment for me, was that for the duration of the performance, whether it was the Liverpool team on the pitch, or the Spiders From Mars strutting their stuff on the stage, was that it was a glorious fleeting glimpse of them before they disappeared into oblivion again, until the next performance. We were just left with this sense of awe, having feasted on a special experience of consciousness, before the inevitable return to 'normal'. Because we never got access to their private lives, like we do today in our overhyped media frenzy, they couldn't be tarnished - they remained heroes. That was real value for money haha!

Today, Obviously, I don't see the world through a child's eyes, but I do feel that the sense of mystery, for me, can only be continually eroded with the sheer volume of reality tv shows that force their way into our lives.

I'm not looking forward to 'Being Liverpool' - like you, I have this deep sense of unease; it could be one more nail in the coffin of my beloved football club - the greatest club in the history of the sport.

Fuckit, I'm getting old.

When I was younger, part of the magic of going to a football game, was similar to the magic of going to a rock concert:- there was a real sense of wonder for the duration of the performance;

I'll give you two examples for comparison - my first trip to Anfield (1966) and my first Rock Concert (Manchester 1972 - David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust Tour)

In those days, we saw our heroes on the tele, and their pictures in the appropriate papers and magazines, but the real value of the entertainment for me, was that for the duration of the performance, whether it was the Liverpool team on the pitch, or the Spiders From Mars strutting their stuff on the stage, was that it was a glorious fleeting glimpse of them before they disappeared into oblivion again, until the next performance. We were just left with this sense of awe, having feasted on a special experience of consciousness, before the inevitable return to 'normal'. Because we never got access to their private lives, like we do today in our overhyped media frenzy, they couldn't be tarnished - they remained heroes. That was real value for money haha!

Today, Obviously, I don't see the world through a child's eyes, but I do feel that the sense of mystery, for me, can only be continually eroded with the sheer volume of reality tv shows that force their way into our lives.

I'm not looking forward to 'Being Liverpool' - like you, I have this deep sense of unease; it could be one more nail in the coffin of my beloved football club - the greatest club in the history of the sport.

Fuckit, I'm getting old.

Loved this post. Sums it up perfectly for me, and of course I feel the same way.

There's no sense of wonder or mystery now. We'd read album sleeve notes, or wait for the next magazine article to mention what our favourite band was doing, or read the match programme over and over, and stare at the same handful of photos of the players... actually seeing them live had impact - because we hadn't become immune to it.

Now, we're inundated with nonsense 'news' over and over, have our idealised view of players truly shattered (realising most are morons), and we're subjected to 'inside the club' videos that are PR stunts by the clubs themselves.

Of course, the hypocrite that I am, I'll watch it... but I still think the 'wonder' of things is lost, and not just because of age.

Loved this post. Sums it up perfectly for me, and of course I feel the same way.

There's no sense of wonder or mystery now. We'd read album sleeve notes, or wait for the next magazine article to mention what our favourite band was doing, or read the match programme over and over, and stare at the same handful of photos of the players... actually seeing them live had impact - because we hadn't become immune to it.

Now, we're inundated with nonsense 'news' over and over, have our idealised view of players truly shattered (realising most are morons), and we're subjected to 'inside the club' videos that are PR stunts by the clubs themselves.

Of course, the hypocrite that I am, I'll watch it... but I still think the 'wonder' of things is lost, and not just because of age.

Are you old enough to remember the City doc when Allison was sacked and Bond came in?

I can understand why people felt a bit queasy after reading that Telegraph article. They've slanted it so Rodgers comes across as some sort of self absorbed loon. Someone adds a bit of context and it ain't so bad. Phew, we move on. We are vulnerable as a club, that's why people question the timing of this documentary. I think many remain slightly nervous, shall we say. I think what's encouraging is the way Rodgers expresses himself. In that press conference the other day one of the first things he spoke about was the lack of stability that has blighted the club in recent years. What a relief. He understands the main problem. Does he have the solution? He has the enthusiasm, the belief but does he have the right kind of backing? We've gone from the comfort zone of the mid 90's where too many average players were allowed to coast on big money to the modern day, manic LFC where good players suffer under expectations that are divorced from reality.

Too many good players under performing. Too much being asked of younger players. He's got a hell of a job on to find the balance.

That picture of himself on the wall is very strange, and I don't care what the reasons are

Oh, come on. I imagine you to have more than a few portraits of yourself scattered about the place. If there's anyone to talk about narcissism with good authority, it's you.