You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carra

Fagan's brevity of managerial service belies his status as being only one of three managers ever to have won a treble in the history of the English game alongside Whiskeynose and Houllier.

His treble outstrips Houllier's because it includes the league.

You either do it, or you dont, and to be one of only two managers to have achieved a treble including the league title is indeed the stuff of legends.

That we should have two out of the three treble winning managers is the very essence of what makes LFC great.

Joe was already a legend here before his season as boss.

Like I said what he achieved in that season was amazing.

I always think of Joe more of being part of the backroom staff the same as Ronnie and I admit that is wrong for me to do.

My original point was the phrase legend being used far to easily now a days.

So I was interested in somebody calling Benitez a legend and so placing him up along side the other legendary managers we have.

Everyone has there opinion and I havent a problem with that if it varies from mine.

This is how I rate the managers at the club in my lifetime.

Paisley:

League: 75/76, 76/77, 78/79, 79/80, 81/82, 82/83

League Cup: 80/81, 81/82, 82/83

European Cup: 76/77, 77/78, 80/81

Uefa Cup: 75/76

Shankly:

League: 63/64, 65/66, 72/73

FA Cup: 64/65, 73/74

UEFA Cup: 72/73

Dalglish:

League: 85/86, 87/88, 89/90

FA Cup: 85/86, 88/89

League Cup: 11/12

Fagan:

League: 83/84

League Cup: 83/84

European Cup: 83/84

Houllier:

FA Cup: 00/01

League Cup: 00/01, 02/03

UEFA Cup: 00/01

Benitez:

FA Cup: 05/06

European Cup: 04/05

Evans:

League Cup: 94/95

Souness:

Fa Cup: 91/92

Hodgson:

Fuck all

I don't use the "L" word lightly, but the man who brought Big Ears home to keep deserves recognition, even if he is in the second tier of legends. No, I don't think I'd put Ged up there, but Kenny deffo is for what he did as both a player and manager, and Joe won the treble and was part of the bootroom.

Carra is second only to Cally isn't he, in terms of appearances? Another legend then.

Edited by zigackly

Fucking crap.

He'd have kept him until he thought he had suitable back-up.

Just because you bitter twats desperately want to see quality in Coates or Kelly doesn't make it so.

Paisley kept Phil Thompson on despite Lawrenson and Hansen being his number one partnership.

So guess what, wrong again.

Snide = skewed judgement, as always.

Paisley was a great judge of a player (best in my lifetime) and ruthless with it. He would have replaced Carragher three years ago. He would have been long gone.

Oh, and save the personal abuse - it's pathetic.

Fucking crap.

Just because you bitter twats desperately want to see quality in Coates or Kelly doesn't make it so.

Paisley kept Phil Thompson on despite Lawrenson and Hansen being his number one partnership.

Hold on. We've finished 8th in the table. How many teams in the top 7 would Carragher get a game for even as 3rd choice? Or even 4th or 5th in a few cases?

Carragher was great a few years ago but he's now 34 and not good enough anymore, just as i'm sure Terry won't be when he's 34. Age has caught up with him as he hasn't aged like, say, Puyol.

If he was out of contract in the summer he'd have either been released or put on the coaching staff.

Paisley was a ruthless bastard who had the adage "let a player's legs go on someone else's pitch". He didn't care for sentiment. He'd have made sure the Coates money went on someone who was capable to go straight into the team.

carra for me should be given a coaching role a legend a great man but he.s playing days are behind him now. agree with ritchie we should have made a top class centre back a priority. in saying that i reckon coates could be top player in a few years and we have kelly as well

In an era of absentee owners, fly by night MD's, and four managers in two years, Carra's 22 years playing service with us since a schoolboy is the stuff of legend.

Anyone who posts on this site has a sense of what "The Liverpool Way" means, and Carra in uncertain times, and uncharted waters, represents a psychological safe harbour, a link with a past that much closer to greatness than we are now, yet still with a slice of that greatness because of Istanbull.

At the Club only KK, Stevie G and Carra are left who can claim tangible links with our glory era, and now the King is in exile again. Anfield would be a poorer place without him.

Carragher should be shown the door sharpish. Back in the day, Paisley would have looked only at what he is now. He'd have been given absolutely zero credit for what he had once been. This "show him respect" line is one of the reasons we are where we are today.

It's people like you who keep me ticking over spreading my reputation. Cheers.

Edit: 'sake. I've Negged recently. Someone do the honours.

In an era of absentee owners, fly by night MD's, and four managers in two years, Carra's 22 years playing service with us since a schoolboy is the stuff of legend.

Anyone who posts on this site has a sense of what "The Liverpool Way" means, and Carra in uncertain times, and uncharted waters, represents a psychological safe harbour, a link with a past that much closer to greatness than we are now, yet still with a slice of that greatness because of Istanbull.

At the Club only KK, Stevie G and Carra are left who can claim tangible links with our glory era, and now the King is in exile again. Anfield would be a poorer place without him.

I think there are plenty of people posting regularly on here who don't have a clue what the liverpool way means, at least what it meant when the term was coined. There are some who follow the club, but who have no real association with it, there are some who just don't get it, and there are plenty who are too young to have experienced the years when we dominated football. It's a broad church. And that is both a blessing and a curse, as you can see on this thread, and across the forums.

Joe was already a legend here before his season as boss.

Like I said what he achieved in that season was amazing.

I always think of Joe more of being part of the backroom staff the same as Ronnie and I admit that is wrong for me to do.

My original point was the phrase legend being used far to easily now a days.

So I was interested in somebody calling Benitez a legend and so placing him up along side the other legendary managers we have.

Everyone has there opinion and I havent a problem with that if it varies from mine.

I agree with you that the word “legend” is used too freely.

Benitez is an interesting call. So few managers win the CL/EC that anyone who does has to be a contender for the phrase. Intriguingly, Houllier, whose triple makes him one of only three managers to achieve the feat in the history of the English game has more claim to that than Rafa.

I would argue that calling Fagan as a member of the Boot Room a legend, prior to winning a treble, is strange.

Fucking crap.

Maybe but Thompson was 27 when Lawrenson joined and 30 when he was sold, 4 years younger than Carragher is now

These arguments are so fucking boring now.

I hope we push on under Rodgers so we don't have to go over the same old shite. Carra is, frankly, not good enough for us as a starter. End of. Whether he stays as a back up is another issue - though he was pretty bad filling in this year (aside from one or two matches) and I really don't see how he would tie into Rodger's philosophy of not smashing the ball 60 yards every chance you get.

Arguing about whether he is a legend or how much of a legend he is - is fucking mind numbingly boring.

Cant wait for the season to start. Wish we'd sign somebody soon though. Preferably somebody who is actually good.

Maybe but Thompson was 27 when Lawrenson joined and 30 when he was sold, 4 years younger than Carragher is now

Players are lasting longer these days, I'd have gladly kept Sami for instance but he wanted regular games.

Plus we weren't really a 'squad' back then, just a first team with a few back-up players.

You don't agitate to get rid of someone like Carragher until you are sure of the back-up of at least two centre halves, especially with someone who goes absent as much as Agger (and to a lesser extent Kelly).

Not unless it's personal, which quite a bit of this is. I'm fully aware that some reds are only concerned with our fortunes and nothing else. My antenna isn't utterly destroyed by age; I can see who is bitter and who isn't!

Arguing about whether he is a legend or how much of a legend he is - is fucking mind numbingly boring.

The great Clubs are defined by tradition and expectation.

Arguing about whether a CL winning manager or treble winning manager earns legendary status is one that almost no other club can have.

The debate about Carra is not about how good he is now,it is about about a CL winning player who has served the Club since a schoolboy for 22 years. He is also a link with an era that has seen eight managerial reigns and eleven major honours.As such he is a significant part of who we are.

Guest the boy

Liverpool's manager, Rafael Benítez, said there are no talks planned with the defender. "We're happy to wait," the Spaniard said. "When you talk about players over 30 it's not the same as those who are 25 or goalkeepers, who will have a long-term contract. With Carra, we will wait and see."

----

Any fan of Blair must place an importance on image and Carragher is no exception, although only in the context of the club he serves. Proud though he is of his achievements at Anfield, and of a career of dramatic highs and lows on a collective and personal level, the defender admits the recent image of Liverpool FC is one that pains him.

"I care about the club because I'm a supporter as well," he says. "It does bother me if things aren't as they should be. I think a lot about the future of the club, the direction it's going in, the way it is run and how it is perceived from the outside. There are some things that Liverpool should be doing in a certain way, the correct way. We should be a little bit different, and we need to get back to that.

"I'm not just talking about winning games, but the way we do things and the way we conduct ourselves. The class and dignity this club was renowned for. It's the way Liverpool used to be seen by people and we should be aiming to recreate that."

"I'm not getting into why we lost that, but we do need to get back to it and I think we are. I just think that over the last few years people didn't like Liverpool. Other managers didn't like us, we were always getting criticism in the press, obviously we were not doing well on the pitch so that comes with it, but everything was just negative Liverpool all the time. We've had situations like Martin O'Neill and Steve Bruce criticising Liverpool and they were right. We shouldn't be getting involved with stuff like that. Everyone else should look at Liverpool and say they have dignity, class. I mean, like the way people look at Arsenal. They do things right and you think they conduct themselves in the right way. I think we have been a club who were like that and we need to get back to that, to do things right. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose; that's football. You can't win all the time. But you can still behave in a way where people respect you."

Edited by the boy