You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would annoy me more than any other selection decision for this game.

What has Henderson shown that he gets given that key role? He has one league goals hasn't he and not many more assists.

I like Henderson but if used I'd play him in centre midfield, as I think the three players supporting Carroll in that formation you use have to get goals or assists.

If you are going with that XI, play Gerrard higher up the field and Henderson in centre midifeld.

I disagree.

Gerrard isn't as much use higher up the pitch these days simply because we don't have players the same quality of Alonso to get the ball quickley to him in space (also, Carroll doesn't have the movement and Suarez the finishing ability of Torres but that's another story).

IMO, an exmple of this was Monday night. Gerrard played off Carroll until Suarez came on and despite playing well when he had the ball, he wasn't really in the game despite us having the majority of possession and attacking for most of the game. If Gerrard had as much of the ball as Adam or Spearing did, IMO, we would have created more chances than we did as they don't offer the same penatrative passes Gerrard does and simply move it accross the pitch a lot.

He's played well against the Mancs last season and in the two games already this season sitting deeper where he dictates the tempo and starts out attacks.

With Spearing behind him, he has a bit more freedom to go forward at the right times.

Henderson has done well this season in the games where he's played off Carroll, recently in the Man City games, United and Wolves.

Although he hasn't created a great deal, IMO, he simply helps us keep the ball better in the final third. Although unspectacular he is virtually always open for a pass, rarely wastes possession and 95% of the time finds a red shirt. I imagine we're going to be under pressure for long periods of the game tomorrow and when we do get the ball, we need to keep it.

Having Henderson in the team allows us to keep the ball and when we're in their final third will allow other players (such as Gerrard) to support and make telling contributions.

Finally, Henderson offers us pace and energy while working off Carroll. If he anticipates any of Carroll's flick on's there is a resonable chance he'll be able to get there ahead of any United player.

He also works tirelessly hard for the team and if Scholes plays again (I suspect he will) he can drop deep and put that ginger cunt under pressure, allowing us to have an extra man in defensive posistions. Scholes has been pulling the strings for them since his return and everything is virtually attack is going through him, we need to close him down at every opportunity.

I'm not saying Gerrard can't do the last two paragraphs but I'm not sure Gerrard has the fitness to be bombing up and down the pitch for 90 mins + Fergie time pressing and chasing lost causes. We need him to have his energy when he is on the ball and can effect the game the most.

---------------------------Reina----------------------------

GJ---------------Skrtel--------------Agger------------Enrique

-----------------Spearing----------Adam---------------------

Gerrard--------------------Suarez---------------------Bellamy

---------------------------Carroll-----------------------------

Dalglish - Sir Alex for England

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish has hinted Manchester United rival Sir Alex Ferguson should be the next England manager.

Following Fabio Capello's resignation on Wednesday, the national team coach's role came up for grabs with Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp the strong favourite to succeed the Italian.

However Dalglish, who takes his Liverpool side to face Ferguson's men at Old Trafford on Saturday, claims that if the Football Association are looking to appoint a home-grown manager then they should take the one who has the best record.

Ferguson boasts the best record of all the British managers, having won 37 pieces of silverware during his time at Old Trafford and Dalglish sees no reason why he should not get the post.

"It doesn't really affect me, obviously the Scots boys are all right as they are settled with a manager doing a good job," he said.

"England are on the look-out for another one and if you are looking for a manager I think you look for the one with the best record since the Premier League started of looking after English-British players and the success they have had."

"If I was in their position I'd be looking at the best one and if it's not available then start going down from there.

"Whether they want someone of their own nationality or the want the best it's up to them."

Despite admitted that frontrunner Redknapp would be a 'fantastic' appointment Dalglish grinned as he stated "I never said that" in response to the question of whether he was referring to Ferguson.

Dalglish - Sir Alex for England | Liverpool News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports

---------------------------Reina----------------------------

GJ---------------Skrtel--------------Agger------------Enrique

-----------------Spearing----------Adam---------------------

Gerrard--------------------Suarez---------------------Bellamy

---------------------------Carroll-----------------------------

That's the team for me.

I disagree.

Gerrard isn't as much use higher up the pitch these days simply because we don't have players the same quality of Alonso to get the ball quickley to him in space (also, Carroll doesn't have the movement and Suarez the finishing ability of Torres but that's another story).

IMO, an exmple of this was Monday night. Gerrard played off Carroll until Suarez came on and despite playing well when he had the ball, he wasn't really in the game despite us having the majority of possession and attacking for most of the game. If Gerrard had as much of the ball as Adam or Spearing did, IMO, we would have created more chances than we did as they don't offer the same penatrative passes Gerrard does and simply move it accross the pitch a lot.

He's played well against the Mancs last season and in the two games already this season sitting deeper where he dictates the tempo and starts out attacks.

With Spearing behind him, he has a bit more freedom to go forward at the right times.

Henderson has done well this season in the games where he's played off Carroll, recently in the Man City games, United and Wolves.

Although he hasn't created a great deal, IMO, he simply helps us keep the ball better in the final third. Although unspectacular he is virtually always open for a pass, rarely wastes possession and 95% of the time finds a red shirt. I imagine we're going to be under pressure for long periods of the game tomorrow and when we do get the ball, we need to keep it.

Having Henderson in the team allows us to keep the ball and when we're in their final third will allow other players (such as Gerrard) to support and make telling contributions.

Finally, Henderson offers us pace and energy while working off Carroll. If he anticipates any of Carroll's flick on's there is a resonable chance he'll be able to get there ahead of any United player.

He also works tirelessly hard for the team and if Scholes plays again (I suspect he will) he can drop deep and put that ginger cunt under pressure, allowing us to have an extra man in defensive posistions. Scholes has been pulling the strings for them since his return and everything is virtually attack is going through him, we need to close him down at every opportunity.

I'm not saying Gerrard can't do the last two paragraphs but I'm not sure Gerrard has the fitness to be bombing up and down the pitch for 90 mins + Fergie time pressing and chasing lost causes. We need him to have his energy when he is on the ball and can effect the game the most.

Good post.

I agree with most of it - I also like Gerrard in centre midfield as he gets the team playing and he gets more involved.

My issue was playing Henderson in that role. I agree he gives us energy, but I like to see my attacking players - the front four, actually be a threat and Henderson and Downing are two players who don't do that for me. They have one league goal and one league assist between them don't they? Rather see Maxi, Kuyt, Suarez, Bellamy and dare I say it Carroll play over both of those in the attacking positions. Players who have got goals and assists this season.

If Henderson plays, then it should be in a midfield three, with Gerrard being the more attacking player or not at all.

First will say agree with Most of what is above with one significant exception LFD - In No circumstances given how bad we were in the middle in the FA Cup against them with him off the front doing little all game should Gerrard play anywhere Other than the middle of midfield - He can then do for us what Scholes does for them, namely dictate the pace of the entire match & set up a constant barrage of attacks on a backline that charitably? Could be called a tad unstable with a keeper behind them little better than a joke. Anyway I think the suggestion from Paulie is fine - Stick Spearing in to do the dirty work for SG & Gerrard himself there to dictate Our tempo to That mob with Henderson in front of them both to back up Carroll & later Suarez.

As to Henderson? We bought him by the looks of things to take over from Gerrard & he's going to Have to play where Gerrard once did in games such as this eventually so what better time than now? Get him used to the pace, tempo & what's required to Win such games early as United did with Scholes himself (as part of the process of making him the player he became) a long, long time ago & we'll reap the benefits for years to come in the long run. And make no mistake? Henderson has the Tools to carry out this role & grow into the Gerrard replacement he will one day be. He has a decent enough shot & an eye for a pass & more importantly? Holds onto the ball well - I think all that & an obviously superior stamina level to Gerrard due to his age? Means he Must go in Gerrards old position off the striker so Yes, Paulie had the right of it if you ask me - BTW had you ever considered the fact that maybe Gerrard's effectiveness in his 'old' position? Just decreased with age? Yes Alonso going was a blow but then age was Always going to catch up with SG eventually - Maybe That is how it manifested itself by him dropping off in ability at playing a position he'd previously excelled in. Maybe what we saw with Torres? Was the final explosion of Gerrard at his Very best & now? It's a case of managing his decline en route to the inevitable replacement (as happened with Carragher) that will soon be upon us. We shall see......................

NB One more thing LFD - Don't know why but it Really annoys me when people start up this 'League Goals' complete & utter Rubbish!!! Use Total goals or None at all. Admittedly there's not Much difference with Henderson & Downing then amended to having only 2 goals & 1 assist between but nonetheless? There Is a difference between what you said & the truth and That? Should Not be so. In short? This is what Sky have Tried to do with attempting to make the PL distinct from Football League Division 1 & thus somehow different to our Detriment in the main. It's twisting the truth in the worst way & is at least partly responsible for our club's current woes. Don't go down their road as they are one of the sources of the mess that English football is now in & quite clearly determined to ruin our club whatever the cost. Say it as it is or not at all..........

Edited by Redshadow

As you said Redshadow, total goals doesn't make much better reading for the two players.

I like Henderson, I don't mind him playing - but I just think he is best in centre midfield and doing the running, pressing and tidy passing. I don't think he is a match winner.

Re: Gerrard. I have no problem if he is used centre midfield, right midfield or off a striker. But if he is used off a lone striker, that striker has to be Suarez, someone who will make runs that Gerrard can feed and link up with. Against Spurs Gerrard looked sharp in possession and he put Carroll through in the first half, where Dawsom made a good tackle, if he was doing that for Suarez, then it could have been a different story.

Yes Navbasi, It is Indeed Phil Dowd - And no, It doesn't matter that he's been fair(ish) with us in the past mind. I Still Fully expect him to be acting under strict instruction & the Cards to fly at a rate of knots & generally in one direction only.

LFD? I don't think Henderson is a matchwinner Yet, either - I Do however happen to think he can be Moulded into one in the mould of something like what Gerrard once was. I don't think Gerrard should be up behind the striker tomoz though for 2 reasons - 1 ) We tried against them before a few weeks back & he was to put it mildly, not very good. 2 ) He's Not going to play behind Suarez in This game mind, otherwise as you say? It might be a half-decent tactic to explore & develop as we once did him & Torres.

As such? With the man mountain that is Carroll likely to be up there on his own to cause havoc? I say stick Henderson behind him to exploit his power with the forward runs he used against United at Anfield in the league & so nearly scored with if possible. Leave Gerrard behind him to run the game on our behalf & Spearing with him to Stop Scholes doing so for them. Think that might just work if you ask me - Strangely confident re' tommorrow & I don't know why - I Normally hate & ignore all week games we have there as you can see what's coming a Mile off - Not this time though. Just hope I'm right....................

Fair enough Redshadow, although Gerrard wasn't played as the supporting striker against United in the FA Cup, he was in centre midfield and fairly disciplined.

I can't see Carroll or Henderson hurting them. But Suarez and Gerrard most certainly could!

I'm fine having Gerrard in centre midifeld, but we need Bellamy and Suarez as two of our other three / or four attacking players.

Away for the weekend with Mrs G. Just checked and the game is on ESPN2 at 7.45am here -lovely! I think we will win this one. I'd bring Suarez off the bench. Carroll to start and spend all his energy getting stuck in. Now that he has found a bit of strength he might even get a goal. Either way, Carroll to soften them up, Suarez to come on around the 60 min mark and score the winner.

It is written.

I disagree.

Good post Paulie and I agree with most of it but Gerrard played behind Suarez in the league game at Anfield with Lucas/Adam behind. I think Kenny does it only v the better sides as he wants 3 in there like v Spurs Monday night. However if he opts for Henderson over Adam Stevie will play in the middle with Speo and Henderson off whoever plays up top.

Usual back 5, maybe Kelly instead of Johnson.

Hendo in centre mid with Spearing.

Gerrard playing between the lines.

Front 3 of Bellamy Suarez Carroll.

That's what I'd go for, but I reckon Kenny may put Dirk or Downing in from the start and keep Bellamy on the bench.

Tight game but hopefully we'll sneak it 1-0. Can't wait.

Away for the weekend with Mrs G. Just checked and the game is on ESPN2 at 7.45am here -lovely! I think we will win this one. I'd bring Suarez off the bench. Carroll to start and spend all his energy getting stuck in. Now that he has found a bit of strength he might even get a goal. Either way, Carroll to soften them up, Suarez to come on around the 60 min mark and score the winner.

It is written.

Is that in one of your books Rev? The main one? I may have to start going to church if it is.