You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest LFD

Probably not, but the NFL is weird. Fans don't invest as much of themselves in their teams as we do. College football is closer.

There are definitely dimensions (social, communal, political, tribal, of adversity, etc) that as an arms-length fan you cannot properly appreciate and hence the bond is different. Maybe no less intense, but definitely far less rich, IMO. I think that's what Paulie is getting at (I hope so anyway).

I don't follow the NFL so maybe that wasn't an ideal example, but you get my point.

Like you say, people not from the city/who don't go the game might have the same passion, but it is a different type. It's easier to hate Everton a lot more when you have to go into work with 20 of them the day after a derby defeat for example than if you know no everton supporters and only read about why we hate them.

I don't follow the NFL so maybe that wasn't an ideal example, but you get my point.

Like you say, people not from the city/who don't go the game might have the same passion, but it is a different type. It's easier to hate Everton a lot more when you have to go into work with 20 of them the day after a derby defeat for example than if you know no everton supporters and only read about why we hate them.

Bad example.

Are you saying your affection for Liverpool is measured in how much you hate Everton?

Yeah, I get you. The everton example is the kind of thing I was thinking of.

What? Of course I'm not. You are a fucking strange person.

I know you did not say that, but it could easily be seen that way, you are right in what you are saying as well, the Everton relation can never be the same for someone not living in the city or being raised there.

I`m old enough to remember when Everton was our biggest rival for the title, but these days they hardly register for me since I`m not from the city.

I find them pretty dissillusioned, something I get confirmed almost everytime I`m over and get to talk to a few Evertonians, usually taxi drivers.

• Downvote 1

Load of bollocks in my opinion.

You are basically saying you care about the club more than people who don't get to see games regularly.

Utter tripe!

And you're entitled to it, as am I to mine.

For me half the experience of supporting Liverpool is sitting with fellow reds, sharing the experience, the emotions (good and bed) whether it's 40,000 people at Anfield or 500 away to SomeBums United in the FA Cup. I just can't put myself in the shoes of someone who doesn't go the match or has never been and can be as connected to the club, fans and the game as I feel. I'm no Superfan and I suppose I am lucky in that my dad took me the match and now I go off my own back and finances but as my original post states:

I just can't understand how anyone who doesn't experience that regularly can have any emotion towards the club at all

Simply doesn't compute from my seasonticket-holder-tinted-specs

One of the greatest pleasures in following Liverpool is that chill that decends when you arrive at Old Trafford!

Not nerves exactly, but a tingling sense of us 3,000 against them and 75,000, that is a thrill that just cannot be replicated at all. Now I realise I am lucky enough to be able to do that, but there you go.

I usually remember more of matches when I watch them on the tv. But I think I appreciate other parts of the game when I watch it live, such as workrate and the movement of players.

If you're anything like me, the several pints of lager consumed when going to the match seriously affects the memory. I have often watched highlights of a match I went to and been convinced they were showing the wrong game.

And you're entitled to it, as am I to mine.

For me half the experience of supporting Liverpool is sitting with fellow reds, sharing the experience, the emotions (good and bed) whether it's 40,000 people at Anfield or 500 away to SomeBums United in the FA Cup. I just can't put myself in the shoes of someone who doesn't go the match or has never been and can be as connected to the club, fans and the game as I feel. I'm no Superfan and I suppose I am lucky in that my dad took me the match and now I go off my own back and finances but as my original post states:

Simply doesn't compute from my seasonticket-holder-tinted-specs

What about getting thrown out of Villa Park?

Good example. Living in London has without doubt increased my hatred of the mancs, they are everywhere, and are often the type that can't even be bothered to watch the games on the box yet still gloat after looking up the result on skysports website. If Everton beat us, I only have one person at work to deal with.

not any more.used to go to most home games in the 90s, but along came a mortgage, kids and inflated ticket and fuel prices. its just too expensive now. i try to take my lad along to a game every season but last time i went it cost me £200.

You lucky bastard.

I go less often these days. Actually, I've only been to one game this year.

I much prefer to see it live, it's an experience. You also get to concentrate on the specifics of the game you like. If I had been at WHL I could have followed Coates the whole time to see how he played, can't do that on tv.

Seeing it on telly is ... just that.

The Everton analogy is wrong IMO.

Those of us with Evertonian family or mates don't always hate Everton.

I don't hate Everton,I don't want to think we are competing with them,I hate Man U because I want to think that we are competing with them instead.

Besides the bluenoses hate it when you treat them as an irrelevance.

Good thread I think it matters on who is playing and how. In how i mean controversial decisions on tv are shown over and over again at the match unless you watch of the ball movement you see the same minus the countless replays on tv commentators manipulate the cam to things you probably wouldn't notice at the game. But you can see what ever you want at a game.

The flip side to that is that you can sky plus the game and watch it when you get home and easily make your mind up whether Suarez is offside of not.

It's less easy to watch the match on the telly and check Skrtels positioning all game or watch the movement of Lucas.

I know what you mean but I think you benefit less from a fixed perspective for the whole game when watching live. And who really watches one player all game? I know I don't and never have, sometimes I concentrate on one player's movement for a little while but you can do that on TV as well (especially with the advent of player cam).

In my opinion this applies to all fast moving sports (which football has become). It's always easier to see things on TV. Cricket, football, NFL, etc.