You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest LFD

I hate it when fans on here ask other fans if they went to the game, when they disagree with opinions regarding players or the match or even question the fans support to the team.

Who care if someone on here goes to the game(s) or not? It doesn't matter, they are still entitled to valid opinions.

Sure you don't see somethings on the TV that you see live, such as the off the ball movement. But then again somethings you actually see better on TV, such as whether incidents were fouls or not.

Twice in the last two days members who have disagreed with what I have said have asked if I went to the game. I see this (not aimed at me) on the forum time and time again - it is irrelevent if people went to the game, they are still entitled to an opinion and just because someone went to the game doesn't mean their opinion is right.

If two people of equal footballing intelligence were watching a game, one watches on tv, the other watches at the stadium - and has a good view of the whole pitch, mind - the one who sees the live game will see more.

Still, it does not follow that the person at the game has a good view of the whole pitch; nor does it follow that they have the same footballing intelligence as every armchair fan.

I usually remember more of matches when I watch them on the tv. But I think I appreciate other parts of the game when I watch it live, such as workrate and the movement of players.

Guest The Chimp

It definitely matters. Someone who goes the game week in week out definitely has more of an idea of a player and formations etc. than me watching on a shitty stream 10,000 miles away being drip-dread soundbites and absolute bollocks by some middle-class whopper who only comments on football as it's en vogue and who actually knows next to fuck all about the game or the culture that surrounds it. Generally the regulars at Anfield whose opinions you'll hear throughout a game/season will be much more knowledgeable and informed than some clueless, agenda-driven Sky presenter. For me growing up, it was at the game were you got your knowledge and grounding in football and what should be expected - both from the club and as a supporter. There are obviously some clueless bell-ends who go the game but on the whole I reckon I'd take a random group of regulars opinions over a group of non-match goers on a forum. That's just me though.

Not since 1991 unfortunately.

Opinions were a little less divided then.

Oh, by the way, there's nothing quite like being at the game.

(I remember being on the Kop when John Barnes scored a last minute winner against Aston Villa in 1990. I remember thinking at the time it was the most sublime, unpredictable, speculative shot I've ever seen. I saw footage of it on YouTube just recently and thought how little justice it did to the absolute genius of it.)

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I've been to many games, then watched the replay on TV to see all the stuff I'd missed. In terms of analysis, it really is just a little bit - but by no means all - of the off the ball movement you miss out on. However, being at the game is a much, much better experience overall.

I couldn't imagine having the strength of bond I have with the club had I not gone to more or less every home game during my formative years. The sense of oneness - both with the club and with other fans, the hardwired association between me, the club, and the city, the 'hairs on the back of the neck moment' every time you get to the top of the stairs and catch that first glimpse of bright green pitch, the queues outside the players' entrance, the sights, sounds, smells of the crowd inside and outside the ground. The first sight of the ground as you get to the top of Everton Valley. This can all be pooh-poohed as romantic tosh, but for me it's fundamental. And that's without the fact that you get a far broader understanding of what's going on in front of you when the match is being played. Watching on TV is a very distant second for me, and for those who go regularly. Those who don't, won't understand what the fuck I'm talking about, but there it is.

I go as often as I can, given I'm a couple of hundred miles away. Probably 15 home games this year, and 5 aways, and the odd cup game.

I go the home games.

However I agree with the assertion that TV viewers can make intelligently formed opinions about players, tactics and formations.

HOWEVER, I find that being at the match is much better when assessing an individual player's ability. You can watch him all the time. You can see his influence on other players. You can track his work rate. You can see when he makes himself available at throw-ins/goal kicks/set pieces.

I honestly think I can judge a player after two games. You can see whether thing 'just didn't come off for him in that game' or whether 'he doesn't have it'. I am 42 now, and have rarely been wrong when saying whether he is good enough; or at least whether he going to be a big player for us. I don't wish to sound conceited there - so let me paraphrase it. I think it is possible for most footy fans to judge a player after a couple of games of close scrutiny.

I couldn't imagine having the strength of bond I have with the club had I not gone to more or less every home game during my formative years. The sense of oneness - both with the club and with other fans, the hardwired association between me, the club, and the city, the 'hairs on the back of the neck moment' every time you get to the top of the stairs and catch that first glimpse of bright green pitch, the queues outside the players' entrance, the sights, sounds, smells of the crowd inside and outside the ground. The first sight of the ground as you get to the top of Everton Valley. This can all be pooh-poohed as romantic tosh, but for me it's fundamental. And that's without the fact that you get a far broader understanding of what's going on in front of you when the match is being played. Watching on TV is a very distant second for me, and for those who go regularly. Those who don't, won't understand what the fuck I'm talking about, but there it is.

I go as often as I can, given I'm a couple of hundred miles away. Probably 15 home games this year, and 5 aways, and the odd cup game.

That is a pertinent point. You do get a lot of people who have never been a game / go once in a blue moon saying you don't pick more up at the match than watching it on the telly. How do they know if they don't go the match regularly?

Like stringvest I just can't accept that those who have never/very rarely go the game have the same bond to Liverpool as I do. I'm not having a pop or calling them plastic fans or whatever but since my dad took me to my first game 16 years ago (Blackburn away, lost 3-2, Digger scored a beautiful overhead kick which was the second I fell in love with the club) I can't imagine not feeling that plethora of emotions before kick off and until the end of the game.

I just can't understand how anyone who doesn't experience that regularly can have any emotion towards the club at all

Guest The Chimp
Like stringvest I just can't accept that those who have never/very rarely go the game have the same bond to Liverpool as I do. I'm not having a pop or calling them plastic fans or whatever but since my dad took me to my first game 16 years ago (Blackburn away, lost 3-2, Digger scored a beautiful overhead kick which was the second I fell in love with the club) I can't imagine not feeling that plethora of emotions before kick off and until the end of the game.

I just can't understand how anyone who doesn't experience that regularly can have any emotion towards the club at all

I'd agree with all of that.

It is an honour and a privilege to attend matches and I am very grateful I can do so. Apart from getting the very best insight into the match the opportunities to hear and discuss views with other fans and not have your views tainted by some commentator or expert (at least, not until I watch the highlights) enables me to form a rounded picture of what is going on.

I would never dis the armchair fan - most would go as often as me if they could - but, as an example, those fans still critical of Lucas are, in general, irregular match attendees.

I think you get a better view on tv with myriad of angles and replays with both close up and panoramic shots. I can't even see how that's up for debate. Take me, for example. I'm an excellent reader of the game and call most things spot on. Then you have stringvest who goes the game la but thinks konchesky is a solid first pick left back. That said i did go the game on Sunday. I went the game. Despite the score it was a hoot! Could not tell if suarez was offside, i was stuck at the other end. See?

I used to go quite a lot. 06/07 was my most prolific season of hopping on the train for weekend games and paying over the odds for parking during the CL run.

It's awesome going to the game and no feeling comes close to pulling the scarf off your neck during the opening bars of You'll Never Walk Alone.

Now its just too expensive, as mentioned before, mortgage, kids, fuel, tickets. It's bloody hard work. I might be a wool but I love this club with all my heart.

I think you get a better view on tv with myriad of angles and replays with both close up and panoramic shots. I can't even see how that's up for debate. Take me, for example. I'm an excellent reader of the game and call most things spot on. Then you have stringvest who goes the game la but thinks konchesky is a solid first pick left back. That said i did go the game on Sunday. I went the game. Despite the score it was a hoot! Could not tell if suarez was offside, i was stuck at the other end. See?

The flip side to that is that you can sky plus the game and watch it when you get home and easily make your mind up whether Suarez is offside of not.

It's less easy to watch the match on the telly and check Skrtels positioning all game or watch the movement of Lucas.

Always been a financial thing for me. First game I went to was as an 8 year old in 87/88 and occasional games that season and 88/89 when my dad took me to a few.

Then years without going because, my dad is really not into football in the slightest and until I was able to drive it was a nightmare getting down. Occasionally did Boro, Sunderland, Newcastle away games with them being local to me until I could drive then maybe two or three games a season at Anfield till 2005 because I couldn't afford it anymore.

Been to the Sunderland game so far this season and will be going to Norwich, QPR and Newcastle home. Obviously January onwards will depend on how lucky I am ticket wise, and I'll probably do the Sunderland and Newcastle away games. Would love Boro to come up as it gives me 3 games local to me next year.

Intend to do as many games as I can next year and then I'll probably be calling it a day other than away games to Boro, Newcastle, Sunderland.

It's too expensive for me really now but just wanted to get a run in while I still can as I am pretty much free of any outside pressures at the moment. I reckon it's somewhere around £120 a game for me once you factor in travel etc. just can't really justify that expense regularly. Hell of a long day as well, out the house around 9 to get down with plenty of time for a 3 o'clock kick off and not home till about half nine at night.

I don't think seeing it live gives anyone a huge amount of extra more insight into what is going on. At the Sunderland away match last year, I was in line with the 18 yard line and convinced it was a penalty when Jay went down, as was my mate who is a Sunderland season ticket holder and the two Sunderland fans sitting behind me.