You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

Today's fiver is rather good...

BIG SAM MAKES ROY AND KENNY'S DREAM COME TRUE

Like many a fellow football fan, the Fiver loves to while away the hours mulling over counterfactuals. What would the outcome of the 1966 World Cup final have been if Jimmy Greaves had been picked ahead of Geoff Hurst? Where would Sheffield Wednesday and Manchester United be now if the former had gone through with the signing of Eric Cantona? What if referee Trelford Mills had given Coventry City a penalty when Tony Adams felled Micky Gynn in the box at Highfield Road in December 1987, therefore giving the Sky Blues a chance to turn a dour 0-0 draw into a staunch 1-0 win? What then, dear reader? What then?

Rare is the chance that these posers are ever answered in real life. But one of football's more enduring questions will soon be answered at Upton Park. Liverpool supporters have often asked themselves what would have happened if their fondly remembered manager Roy Hodgson had managed to secure the signature of Carlton Cole, as he was desperately trying to do, just before the club sent him bouncing down Walton Breck Road on his thoroughly average, tactically intransigent, expectation-dampening, middle-management buttocks? What if, freshly resplendent in red, Cole was soon paired up front with another new signing, Andy Carroll? A partnership of Carroll and Cole, so close and yet so far! We can sense the Anfield faithful shudder, no doubt in impotent despair, as they consider the hand fate dealt them.

And so for three years, Liverpool fans – these days resigned to watching Luis Suárez and Daniel Sturridge pointlessly flicking it about – have dreamed dreamy dreams of what could have been. But now, with Cole having today signed an 18-month contract extension at West Ham having been ushered out of the club at the start of the summer, the full horror of what they're missing is to unfold in front of their faces. With Cole having scored four times this season, and Carroll having broken into a run for a sum total of four minutes, the pair are sure to form a partnership of direct brilliance that blooters the overly intricate SAS into a cocked hat (or at least within 10 feet of it, either side). West Ham are also set to sign Lacina Traoré on loan from Monaco, his work permit confirmed, though whether the 6ft 8in Ivorian will get a game once Sam Allardyce realises he's not just about going up for headers but is fond of dropping deep and playing a bit of football is a moot point, and yet another question nobody is able to answer with 100% conviction.

Just watching the premier league years, i still can not fucking believe we had fucking Roy Hodgson here as manager, the fucking cunt. Horrible period in all our lives that. Konchesky? Fucking hell. Fuck off. 

Dark days indeed. I remember the Wolves defeat at Anfield. I had swapped tickets sitting 1st row of the main stand directly behind the dug out.

The stick he got was unmerciful.This kid was shouting at Ayre asking him when he was gonna  get rid of the useless cunt.'How much longer Ian? Ayre just looked dumbstruck. The lad was calmed down but before long even some of the older boys were roasting him.It was funny to be honest. Roy was stood rigid while the abuse got worse and worse. He deserved every bit of it. 

• Upvote 2

I find it bizarre how delusional most British managers seem to be. The likes of Hodgson, Redknapp and Allardyce all seem to think they're some kind of footballing Julius Caesar despite being shite. They're all part of the old boys' club but don't seem at all pleasant people, especially bright, cultured or refined and have done absolutely nothing to earn the swagger they see fit to display.  

The difference between watching Liverpool under Hodgson compared to now under Rodgers is about as great as the gulf between England's last two Ashes Tours to Australia. And the scary part is I think that despite neither being long in the manager's role, they were only going to get further apart.

• Upvote 1

I find it bizarre how delusional most British managers seem to be. The likes of Hodgson, Redknapp and Allardyce all seem to think they're some kind of footballing Julius Caesar despite being shite. They're all part of the old boys' club but don't seem at all pleasant people, especially bright, cultured or refined and have done absolutely nothing to earn the swagger they see fit to display.  

Yep, when you look at this list:

Hughes

Allardyce

Redknapp

Pulis

Bruce

Hodgson

Moyes

What is their total trophy haul? Especially when you compare it to the pair who have been the target of a much derision in the media in the UK:

Andre Villas Boas

Rafael Benitez

• Upvote 2

Today's fiver is rather good...

BIG SAM MAKES ROY AND KENNY'S DREAM COME TRUE

Like many a fellow football fan, the Fiver loves to while away the hours mulling over counterfactuals. What would the outcome of the 1966 World Cup final have been if Jimmy Greaves had been picked ahead of Geoff Hurst? Where would Sheffield Wednesday and Manchester United be now if the former had gone through with the signing of Eric Cantona? What if referee Trelford Mills had given Coventry City a penalty when Tony Adams felled Micky Gynn in the box at Highfield Road in December 1987, therefore giving the Sky Blues a chance to turn a dour 0-0 draw into a staunch 1-0 win? What then, dear reader? What then?

Rare is the chance that these posers are ever answered in real life. But one of football's more enduring questions will soon be answered at Upton Park. Liverpool supporters have often asked themselves what would have happened if their fondly remembered manager Roy Hodgson had managed to secure the signature of Carlton Cole, as he was desperately trying to do, just before the club sent him bouncing down Walton Breck Road on his thoroughly average, tactically intransigent, expectation-dampening, middle-management buttocks? What if, freshly resplendent in red, Cole was soon paired up front with another new signing, Andy Carroll? A partnership of Carroll and Cole, so close and yet so far! We can sense the Anfield faithful shudder, no doubt in impotent despair, as they consider the hand fate dealt them.

And so for three years, Liverpool fans – these days resigned to watching Luis Suárez and Daniel Sturridge pointlessly flicking it about – have dreamed dreamy dreams of what could have been. But now, with Cole having today signed an 18-month contract extension at West Ham having been ushered out of the club at the start of the summer, the full horror of what they're missing is to unfold in front of their faces. With Cole having scored four times this season, and Carroll having broken into a run for a sum total of four minutes, the pair are sure to form a partnership of direct brilliance that blooters the overly intricate SAS into a cocked hat (or at least within 10 feet of it, either side). West Ham are also set to sign Lacina Traoré on loan from Monaco, his work permit confirmed, though whether the 6ft 8in Ivorian will get a game once Sam Allardyce realises he's not just about going up for headers but is fond of dropping deep and playing a bit of football is a moot point, and yet another question nobody is able to answer with 100% conviction.

CAC?

• Upvote 3

Dark days indeed. I remember the Wolves defeat at Anfield. I had swapped tickets sitting 1st row of the main stand directly behind the dug out.

The stick he got was unmerciful.This kid was shouting at Ayre asking him when he was gonna  get rid of the useless cunt.'How much longer Ian? Ayre just looked dumbstruck. The lad was calmed down but before long even some of the older boys were roasting him.It was funny to be honest. Roy was stood rigid while the abuse got worse and worse. He deserved every bit of it. 

After the derby I had quite a big bet on him being gone by New Years Day as I'd heard how ruthless FSG had been in the States and couldn't see them putting up with him.

That Wolves game is definitely up there with the worst matches I've ever been to.  The only crumb of comfort I had going home from it was thinking that at least this meant I might get a payday to cover a chunk of the cost of watching all of the dross I'd seen that season.  I just couldn't see how he could continue after it.

And then we kept the fucking clown for another week and my bet went down.

Yep, when you look at this list:

Hughes

Allardyce

Redknapp

Pulis

Bruce

Hodgson

Moyes

What is their total trophy haul? Especially when you compare it to the pair who have been the target of a much derision in the media in the UK:

Andre Villas Boas

Rafael Benitez

What a list of cunts that is, apart from fat head who i don't mind as a person.  Still a shit manager though.

• Upvote 1

The Wolves game is deffo in the top 5 of worst Liverpool games I have been to....

Roy also gets a nod in that list with the Northampton game, luckily I never went the Blackburn one....although maybe the Blackburn game ain't too bad as he went after it...silver linings and all that.

Hopefully his full genius will come out for all the country to see in 6 months time.

Thing is he is the only ex-manager I physically hate with a passion, even Souness who was a bit of a cunt when he was here (and the Bristol Rovers game and Coventry away are also in my list) I couldn't hate him as for what he did here as a player....