You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

You have to laugh at the resurrection of Owen's complaints about being overplayed in his youth and how it compared to the case of Ryan Giggs. What was one of the strategies Man Utd employed to ease the burden on Giggs? Picking and choosing the games he played for Wales, and they were quite blatant about it. Can you imagine the uproar if Liverpool had said Owen wasn't going to be play in this or that game for Ing-er-land? Not least from Boy's Owen.

• Upvote 4

You have to laugh at the resurrection of Owen's complaints about being overplayed in his youth and how it compared to the case of Ryan Giggs. What was one of the strategies Man Utd employed to ease the burden on Giggs? Picking and choosing the games he played for Wales, and they were quite blatant about it. Can you imagine the uproar if Liverpool had said Owen wasn't going to be play in this or that game for Ing-er-land? Not least from Boy's Owen.

Giggs hardly ever seemed to figure in Wales friendlies, and he also had every summer off what with Wales being too shit to qualify for tournaments.

Fuckin' 'ell. Now I might be wrong as it's been a few years (thank Christ) and a few hundred alcoholic bevies, but wasn't it Hodgson's cock the media was constantly servicing during his time here? Stories about him being a great "man manager" and all that bullshit?!

The man is a fucking joke. That's all there is to it. England looked better at the world cup that I had expected (although not as good as I had hoped, even being an American) but they still didn't do enough. His tactics are outdated, his attitude is quite frankly ridiculous, and he doesn't get the best out of his players. That's not even touching on him slaughtering them in the media now and then.

I still remember the fucking "b team" comments. Honestly, at the time, I thought "fair enough Roy, it was a B team, but you selected that b team didn't you?".

Bottom line, we get on players for shirking responsibility but for whatever reason the manager often gains immunity. Can't agree with that myself, it's bullshit.

TL;DR - FUCK WOY

You only have to look back at what happened to Michael Owen to see what can happen if you push a 19 year old too much too soon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwpdJG28mc

Owen himself even admits that himself that it affected him for the rest of his career...

April 12, 1999: Owen tore a hamstring for the first time playing for Liverpool at Leeds. Aged 19, his blistering pace lost its throttle. “Getting that massive injury at Leeds has probably changed and shaped my whole career,” said Owen. “Since I was 19, I’ve been compromised. If I did that now, it would be surgically repaired like it’s brand new. I wouldn’t even know I had an injury. Back then you just let it go.

“I basically run on two hamstrings on my right leg and three on the other. I’m losing a third of the power. If I hadn’t done that, 90 per cent of the other injuries wouldn’t have happened. I would have been the all-time leading scorer for England.

“In the meantime I’ve won the European Player of the Year and a load of trophies while compromised. I could look back on my career like everyone with ‘what if this or what if that?’. If I’d still been in one piece from the 1998 World Cup and gone through my career, what type of player would I have been?

In his youth, Owen resisted efforts to rest him. He recognises this is partially to blame for his later setbacks. “God, b----- hell, yeah,” he says. “When Gérard Houllier was saying I couldn’t play every game, I’d say I’ll rest when I’m 30. He was probably right, wasn’t he?

“You want to play in every game. I was always the best player at every age since I was seven. I was in every youth tournament, playing for England Under-18s when I was 15, for the county under-11s when I was seven, always playing above my age.

“Steven Gerrard benefited when we were breaking through because, although he was phenomenal at 14, he couldn’t stay fit. That was the biggest blessing in disguise for him for a longer career at the top without massive injuries. I was ready-made to play a higher level when I was young but I paid the price.”

Also interesting that Owen (who'd have thought those two words interesting and Owen would go tothether) says that having little niggles helped Gerrard to sustain his career

The sad thing is English football will never change while the likes of Hodgson is kept in charge and also dinosaurs like Shearer, Danny Mills, Scholes and Tony Gale??? agree with him...

That's really interesting, you can see why he had such a short career at the top if he was only playing with two hamstring muscles in his right leg. 

Pfffttt...you don't hear our brave boys in Iraq whingeing about the amount of hamstrings they have left, or their reliance on fast white muscle fibres, and from what I can make out the two situations are exactly the same.

Yes! This.

And the money he earns too should make him impervious to naturally occurring muscle fatigue etc, as any self respecting sports scientists will tell you that there's a direct correlation between earnings and susceptibility to fatigue.

• Upvote 2

You only have to look back at what happened to Michael Owen to see what can happen if you push a 19 year old too much too soon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwpdJG28mc

Owen himself even admits that himself that it affected him for the rest of his career...

April 12, 1999: Owen tore a hamstring for the first time playing for Liverpool at Leeds. Aged 19, his blistering pace lost its throttle. “Getting that massive injury at Leeds has probably changed and shaped my whole career,” said Owen. “Since I was 19, I’ve been compromised. If I did that now, it would be surgically repaired like it’s brand new. I wouldn’t even know I had an injury. Back then you just let it go.

“I basically run on two hamstrings on my right leg and three on the other. I’m losing a third of the power. If I hadn’t done that, 90 per cent of the other injuries wouldn’t have happened. I would have been the all-time leading scorer for England.

“In the meantime I’ve won the European Player of the Year and a load of trophies while compromised. I could look back on my career like everyone with ‘what if this or what if that?’. If I’d still been in one piece from the 1998 World Cup and gone through my career, what type of player would I have been?

In his youth, Owen resisted efforts to rest him. He recognises this is partially to blame for his later setbacks. “God, b----- hell, yeah,” he says. “When Gérard Houllier was saying I couldn’t play every game, I’d say I’ll rest when I’m 30. He was probably right, wasn’t he?

“You want to play in every game. I was always the best player at every age since I was seven. I was in every youth tournament, playing for England Under-18s when I was 15, for the county under-11s when I was seven, always playing above my age.

“Steven Gerrard benefited when we were breaking through because, although he was phenomenal at 14, he couldn’t stay fit. That was the biggest blessing in disguise for him for a longer career at the top without massive injuries. I was ready-made to play a higher level when I was young but I paid the price.”

Also interesting that Owen (who'd have thought those two words interesting and Owen would go tothether) says that having little niggles helped Gerrard to sustain his career

The sad thing is English football will never change while the likes of Hodgson is kept in charge and also dinosaurs like Shearer, Danny Mills, Scholes and Tony Gale??? agree with him...

I haven't heard what Scholes has said on the subject but at the age of 19 he had yet to make his PL debut so what the fuck would he know.

I like the fact that a few people (maybe more than a few) in the game are coming down on the side of Sterling/Brendan/LFC. 

Allow me to speculate...

Ferguson is retired. He wielded enormous control over the media when he was Man Utd manager, and favorable press coverage for Liverpool was hard to come by. 

Rodgers is an up and coming young manager. He clearly has ideas about how football should be played and we've seen him implement a progressive, attacking game at Liverpool (granted, it hasn't fired on all cylinders yet this season). We were fantastic last season and I honestly think that has helped to sway public opinion. 

I'm not saying we are everyone's cup of tea, as people support their own team, and rightly so. But I am saying that we are starting to see a bit more balance, and Ferguson's retirement, coupled with the emergence of Brendan Rodgers, are two key reasons for that. 

• Upvote 1

I hate the term "2nd team" but I think we've become a lot of peoples 2nd team under Rodgers.  A lot of fans of others clubs did want to see us win the league last year.

That doesn't stop them singing the ale house sized club "he slipped on his arse and gave it to Demba Ba" song though.

I like the fact that a few people (maybe more than a few) in the game are coming down on the side of Sterling/Brendan/LFC. 

Allow me to speculate...

Ferguson is retired. He wielded enormous control over the media when he was Man Utd manager, and favorable press coverage for Liverpool was hard to come by. 

Rodgers is an up and coming young manager. He clearly has ideas about how football should be played and we've seen him implement a progressive, attacking game at Liverpool (granted, it hasn't fired on all cylinders yet this season). We were fantastic last season and I honestly think that has helped to sway public opinion. 

I'm not saying we are everyone's cup of tea, as people support their own team, and rightly so. But I am saying that we are starting to see a bit more balance, and Ferguson's retirement, coupled with the emergence of Brendan Rodgers, are two key reasons for that. 

I think you're over complicating it a bit and I don't think its just down to a Rodgers v Woy situation. The facts are that more and more people are picking up the fact that Hodgson is a knob, talks shite and now some are sticking their heads above the parapet and calling him out on it.. 

• Upvote 1

I hate the term "2nd team" but I think we've become a lot of peoples 2nd team under Rodgers.  A lot of fans of others clubs did want to see us win the league last year.

That doesn't stop them singing the ale house sized club "he slipped on his arse and gave it to Demba Ba" song though.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/03/liverpool-are-everybodys-favourite-second-football-team-apparently-4890012/

Roy wants to send Sterling out on the frontline but if you don't let him recover he won't be able to shimmy past Isis, dribble round Taliban and fire it past Al Qaeda. Even the bloody soldiers will tell you that Sarge!

Send Sterling out there and let him breed them out. War is hell, sexy hell.