You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

Fuck that, he's either a senior or a youth international they can't be burning the candle at both ends. Same goes for Barkley as well.

Well you can be both. Would Sterling learn more from playing in an U21s finals tournament against the best young players in the world, or by playing for the seniors in the turgid low quality qualifying group we are in?

Well you can be both. Would Sterling learn more from playing in an U21s finals tournament against the best young players in the world, or by playing for the seniors in the turgid low quality qualifying group we are in?

Who gives a shit they're both inferior levels to Prem and Champons league. He'll learn fuck all getting tired simultaneously playing for Southgate and Woy. One or the other, not both. It's not like he's on the fringes of the England squad.

• Upvote 1

I agree with the notion that it should be one or the other. Sterling has become an important player for the senior England side. That's where he belongs. He had a big season last season. Then he went to the World Cup in Brazil. Now we're into this season, where hopefully he will continue to grow as a player. It would not be right for him to play under 21 football next summer against that backdrop. That's at least two years of solid football, and it flies in the face of what sports science knows about the need for rest, especially in young, explosive players. 

If Southgate wants Raheem in his side he can wait until Roy is sacked and he inherits that role!

• Upvote 1

These idiots wanting the likes of Sterling to play at the U21 will be moaning we play too many games next year. Sterling needs the summer off, he played at the world cup in 2014 and will probably play at the Euros in 2016. No point in him playing three summer tournaments on tbe bounce. Players need a break to recover if not physically at least mentally from the game. Especially when they are 18-21

• Upvote 4

What sort of message would it send out to the Under 21s who've got the team to the Finals if they called up Sterling (who hasn't been involved with them) for the squad?

It'd be like our U21s getting to the FA Youth Cup Final and then Sterling being asked to play, just because he's eligible. It's a total insult to the group of players who got them there for a start. The whole point of youth football is to develop players ready for the first team - and that's where Sterling already is.

Stupid idea. Stupid FA.

I bet if they thought he'd give them a better chance of doing really well in the finals, which he will, they'd be happy to have him join them. The under21s, like the younger teams, need to succeed in the finals, with the strongest possible squads, like the other countries do as a matter of course. At the moment the FA is content to send out squads made up of whoever wasn't deemed worth a chance at senior level, which is a major reason why they fail so badly.

• Upvote 1

I bet if they thought he'd give them a better chance of doing really well in the finals, which he will, they'd be happy to have him join them. The under21s, like the younger teams, need to succeed in the finals, with the strongest possible squads, like the other countries do as a matter of course. At the moment the FA is content to send out squads made up of whoever wasn't deemed worth a chance at senior level, which is a major reason why they fail so badly.

This is the mindset that is problematic of the international set up. The fact that we deem it necessary to succeed at u21 level when it should be about setting up a template of how the national team will play and prepping the players for the senior squad.

It's why teams like Uruguay and Germany have so many young players seamlessly making the step up. They have the plan in place right the way through their system whilst England take a player like Hendo, a former u21 captain and they still have no idea what to do with him.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/18/roy-hodgson-wayne-rooney-management

Roy Hodgson has said that he would love to see Wayne Rooney go into management after he finishes his playing career.

So impressed has the England manager been with the leadership skills Rooney has shown since he was appointed captain in September, he is convinced that the striker would be a successful manager.

“Wayne has a lot of playing time left so I can’t think he has given it much thought, but when you have had a career like he has had, or the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Terry or Cole have had, and you are that good a professional, then I would love to see them all stay in the game in a coaching or management role because they have so much to offer,” Hodgson said.

The headline over-sells it (as usual) but even so, smint time.

Is it wrong that he's 67 years old and yet I quite seriously want to smack hm one every single time I see him or hear him?

Wonder if he felt satisfaction yesterday when Sterling was booed each time he touched the ball.

After the shit storm he's created around the lad you'd think he would come out and try and defend him instead of doing or saying fuck all.

Shithouse of a person and shithouse manager.

• Upvote 2

Like all England coaches, he left the ground early. What's the point? Where does he have to be that he needs to get away so quickly? They always claim to be busy yet they don't seem to do anything most of the time. Maybe all that money takes a long time to count. Can't he just stay put and take advantage of the overly-generous hospitality that is no doubt laid out for him when it's known he'll be there? He made such a fuss about what happened at Anfield regarding this, and what with pretty much everything else he's said regarding the club or players, it seems clear that he hates Liverpool because he got booted out and no-one bought into his ideas.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/18/roy-hodgson-wayne-rooney-management

The headline over-sells it (as usual) but even so, smint time.

Is it wrong that he's 67 years old and yet I quite seriously want to smack hm one every single time I see him or hear him?

Seeing as I'd quite happily twat him with the back of a shovel, don't feel too badly about it mate. He'd be getting off easily if anything.

Wonder if he felt satisfaction yesterday when Sterling was booed each time he touched the ball.

After the shit storm he's created around the lad you'd think he would come out and try and defend him instead of doing or saying fuck all.

Shithouse of a person and shithouse manager.

I thought the QPR fans booed Sterling because he used to play for them?