You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Blues/Jazz/Folk Etc Music thread

Lee909

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've gone completely over to the dark side, I find myself listening to jazz whenever I get the living room to myself. I sometimes put some mellow stuff on when the missus is about but apparently it's 'boring' (it's fucking not). I'd been listening to jazz on & off since I went to music college in 1997 but two albums I've bought in the last year or so have completely changed everything. I can't see any way back now to be honest other than when I'm pished & put my Destiny's Child's Greatest Hits on.

R-105644-1326102795.jpeg.jpg

R-1178842-1475078632-6160.jpeg.jpg

• Upvote 2

I've gone completely over to the dark side, I find myself listening to jazz whenever I get the living room to myself. I sometimes put some mellow stuff on when the missus is about but apparently it's 'boring' (it's fucking not). I'd been listening to jazz on & off since I went to music college in 1997 but two albums I've bought in the last year or so have completely changed everything. I can't see any way back now to be honest other than when I'm pished & put my Destiny's Child's Greatest Hits on.

I can totally get where you're coming from - when you get some quiet and space to really listen to music, why wouldn't you listen to good jazz?  There's more to engage with than in any other popular music.  And you're a hep cat.

I have a friend who has played in rock and function bands for ages - he's in his mid thirties, and a really good drummer, but he's got to the point where he wasn't learning anything, and so started looking at jazz.  He's now really into it, in fact, he goes off to jazz drumming workshops in France every summer, and he ca't get enough - he said it's like learning how to play from scratch, and the nuances and dynamics are in a completely different league from rock and pop.  I guess it's the same for any other instrument too.  His missus is a damn good singer, and she's been into jazz for a good while (this is them at a summer festival we play at https://www.facebook.com/sarahjanevocals/videos/215562438933788/) so I often pop out to watch her scat sessions ;)

• Upvote 1

Aye, jazz drumming is a completely different ball game to the rock stuff. I was always a bit intimidated by it when I played but I don't have that problem anymore so I can listen to it as a fan & just appreciated how amazing it is without worrying about having to ever play any of it.

I think the main thing is listening to how the other musicians react to the soloist, especially in the great bands, telepathic stuff.

Having said all that, I can't take to scat singing at all, I think I've been leaning towards instrumental music over the years. Lyrics & stuff have never interested me although I do appreciate a good voice when I hear one.

Aye, I studied jazz composition when I was a yoof, and obviously the improvisational standard is on an entirely different level. You've gotta know your shit to play jazz, you can't come into this half cocked or you'll look like a fucking fool.

• Upvote 1

Aye, jazz drumming is a completely different ball game to the rock stuff. I was always a bit intimidated by it when I played but I don't have that problem anymore so I can listen to it as a fan & just appreciated how amazing it is without worrying about having to ever play any of it.

I think the main thing is listening to how the other musicians react to the soloist, especially in the great bands, telepathic stuff.

Having said all that, I can't take to scat singing at all, I think I've been leaning towards instrumental music over the years. Lyrics & stuff have never interested me although I do appreciate a good voice when I hear one.

Saw the Steve Kuhn Trio in Seville about a month ago.

Billy Drummond was ace.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been listening to a bit of Wynton Marsalis recently after picking up Standard Time Vol 5: The Midnight Blues. The first track is perfect for putting you in the mood for the whole album.

Also been trying to get into a bit of Chet Baker, but as much as I like his playing I find his vocals just a shade too light.

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

Been listening to a few of Wayne Shorter's mid 60s albums, these three in particular are stupendous. A Red on Twitter (might be someone on here) was telling me that Adam's Apple is on the Jukey in Newington Temple.

51W-d6bxMgL.jpg

Et_Cetera_%28album%29.jpg

MI0000795658.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Aye, I studied jazz composition when I was a yoof, and obviously the improvisational standard is on an entirely different level. You've gotta know your shit to play jazz, you can't come into this half cocked or you'll look like a fucking fool.

You are dead right there Moof,it's another world.
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...