You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Blues/Jazz/Folk Etc Music thread

Lee909

Ok,We have threads for various types of music but i have not seen any for Blues,Country,Folk,Jazz etc.

I cant be the only one who listens to them.

[YOUTUBE]4fk2prKnYnI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]O8hqGu-leFc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]hVR8lg1YLuc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]VqJOsNMhIRo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]rmRJon2EeEM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]GcNDuBFpU9Q[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/gf-general-forum/57125-folk-music.html

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/gf-general-forum/94829-jazz-club.html

Here's a couple of earlier threads. (I also tried to search for a Blues thread, but it kept leading me to f******l of the shittiest variety.)

Guest PurpleNose

May have strayed a little from Blues/Jazz/Folk for some of these, but I doubt there is a Samba/Salsa/Fusion/Bossa Nova etc thread.

[YOUTUBE]KlR9SyUbq3s[/YOUTUBE]

Love the Afro-Cuban sound.

[YOUTUBE]V_RqNOejC58[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]zcmdiS1ahlQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]uZ7lrqNFKuI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]G_rnHOsBTGM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]gT6_iY0QUk0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]POXvY53pJcQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]VpmOTGungnA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]dPj3yjXJzYw[/YOUTUBE]

Guest PurpleNose
Any suggestions on the best Ali Farka Toure albums and similar.

If I'm honest I'm not a huge fan of Ali Farka Toure. I much prefer old African Jazz, or even pop, to what is probably more accurately described as Blues, like Ali Farka Toure. Obviously the boundaries are all fairly blurred, but in general I prefer upbeat African music.

[YOUTUBE]Z1HNqpvLMX8[/YOUTUBE]

Like this. Or the Orchestra Baobab tune I posted.

Pushed for a choice of Ali Farka Toure albums, probably Radio Mali. You heard much of his son?

[YOUTUBE]IgIZElJdNiI[/YOUTUBE]

Saw him live a couple of years ago. Really good.

Mali has produced an incredible amount of talented musicians.

No

I have very little from there and only thought about getting some on the back of the Scorsese Blues doc,Corey Harris travels to Mali and visits Ali Farka Touré and Salif Keita.I thought they were both superb and am having a look into african music.I do like Aman Iman Water is Life by Tinariwen

I'm a bit of a novice at African music, but might like these, Amadou et Mariam - "the blind couple from Mali". Sometimes I don't quite catch the groove of their albums, but seen live they're absolutely brilliant.

LefTxfoT6fw

qGydgZQk5Jc

Was at the second of those shows when I went the festival in Montreal a few years back, and it was an absolutely brilliant night.

My Dad was a very good blues guitarist who used to play the original Marquee in the sixties - he even shared a bill with Muddy Waters in 1970 (I say 'shared' - he was on the same bill...) My mum would be telling me to stay away from drugs while my dad was singing "Cocaine, all around my brain" upstairs - mixed messages..

Being a bit of an old mod - I prefer this kind of thing

[YOUTUBE]2cv03fD6Ux0[/YOUTUBE]

Plants voice is just so raw,then again he is 18 or 19 here.

[YOUTUBE]B6GtfdcWu94[/YOUTUBE]

This is basically a jam session

[YOUTUBE]nR1Xc6Y8Rdg[/YOUTUBE]

Jackson Browne Cocaine

[YOUTUBE]UUsY-FfjGZo[/YOUTUBE]

Nothing can describe how awesome this is

[YOUTUBE]ei96qswXCuI[/YOUTUBE]

John Butler Ocean live at Rothbury

Just a outstanding acoustic guitarist.

[YOUTUBE]ZZd3BQgFpo8[/YOUTUBE]

Alan Lomax may well be the most important man in music history with the recordings he made for the US Congress Records in the early parts of the last centuary.

Damn right!

Another jug band:

[YOUTUBE]zwwMI_Qf2iA[/YOUTUBE]

What I love about these fellas is they are playing on blues harps; home made guitars or mandolins made out of gourds; combs; whisky jugs; washboards; you name it.