You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

Can remember my Dad telling me one of his old Evertonian stories. They were bragging for weeks that they were going to win the European Cup and the day of the game my Dad asked some bitter blue he worked with whether they would win. He replied "we'll steamroller this chippy owning cunts". Stayed off work for ten days after they went out. My Dad bought him a doner kebab and put it on his desk when he finally came in. It got flung across the office hitting about 3 people.

• Upvote 3

Can remember my Dad telling me one of his old Evertonian stories regarding Panathinakos.. They were bragging for weeks that they were going to win the European Cup and the day of the game my Dad asked some bitter blue he worked with whether they would win. He replied "we'll steamroller this chippy owning cunts". Stayed off work for ten days after they went out. My Dad bought him a doner kebab and put it on his desk when he finally came in. It got flung across the office hitting about 3 people.

Should have quoted the Panathinakos game. Was there any reason why the bitter in the Echo thought they should have won it that year?. We're they better than the Ajax team who eased to victory in the Final?

Should have quoted the Panathinakos game. Was there any reason why the bitter in the Echo thought they should have won it that year?. We're they better than the Ajax team who eased to victory in the Final?

I doubt that they would have beaten the Ajax team but Everton were favourites to beat both us and Panathanaikos, so it was a jolly good larrf when they missed out on two finals.

To be fair Everton had a pretty good team back then; they were reigning champions and the much adored (by bitters) holy trinity of Ball, Kendall and Harvey were a great midfield combination. Bison head Royle and the schoolgirl loving Alan Whittle could score goals while they had Tommy Wright and Brian Labone in defence, so they had a good local presence in the team. They actually were a good team. Their fans were cunts. Though not as cuntish as they are today, but still cunts.

Ajax went on to rule Europe for a few years. Everton went on to rule County Road.

• Upvote 1

I doubt that they would have beaten the Ajax team but Everton were favourites to beat both us and Panathanaikos, so it was a jolly good larrf when they missed out on two finals.

To be fair Everton had a pretty good team back then; they were reigning champions and the much adored (by bitters) holy trinity of Ball, Kendall and Harvey were a great midfield combination. Bison head Royle and the schoolgirl loving Alan Whittle could score goals while they had Tommy Wright and Brian Labone in defence, so they had a good local presence in the team. They actually were a good team. Their fans were cunts. Though not as cuntish as they are today, but still cunts.

Ajax went on to rule Europe for a few years. Everton went on to rule County Road.

Yeah but only because they robbed the idea of total football from Joe Royle

Latest chuckles on faceache, apparently the clocks were only going back an hour last night, not 30 years for us Liverpool fans!!

Pots Kettles dark colour etc!!

Yer haven't won the league for 24 years. Yeah but you haven't for 27 and haven't win anything for 20 years. Sounds like a perfectly well thought out insult.

Osman's vital book, per The Echo:

In early February we drew 0-0 with Liverpool at Anfield. We were set up not to lose that day and hope we could find a way to win.

In a derby, that can sometimes work. Liverpool were a good side and Davie Moyes liked to be difficult to beat. As we had beaten them 3-0 at Goodison, we got four points out of six against Liverpool that season.

Rafael Benitez didn’t like playing us and he resorted to shouting his mouth off a few times, calling us a “small club”.

I always remember the press conference where he kept saying “fact” when he was talking about Sir Alex Ferguson. He used to get really sucked in to mind games. He couldn’t have been that good at it because he constantly lost his head.

“You’re only good at mind games if you can take the emotion out of it and Benitez was far too emotional.

“I think he wanted to beat us 3-0 that day to even the score and he was really frustrated that they couldn’t break us down. AJ had a great chance in the second half, so we could have nicked it ourselves.

“Personally, I find that Benitez type of stuff really funny. It shows you’ve got to them. It shows that they’re frustrated and wobbly.

“Benitez didn’t win the league over here because he was competing against Sir Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho, who are brilliant at the mind games. Benitez wasn’t.

“He had an excellent record in Europe because there is less emphasis on the mind games. I felt he really struggled with that side of things and it showed when he was coming out making foolish, ill-thought comments like ‘small club’.”

Such a brilliant mind as to the nuances of English versus continental competition.  It woz mind games all along.

Mind games got a reaction once in the history of this league. And that was Keegans explosion in 1996. And even then you couldn't really call it mind games as Ferguson had made some properly disgraceful comments and Keegan just reacted to them and rightly called Ferguson out on them.

That's actually amazing that a footballer would allow that to be written down. It's such moronic nonsense that it's embarassing. As if prattling on in a press conference makes any difference as to who wins the league. Properly daft.

In early February we drew 0-0 with Liverpool at Anfield. We were set up not to lose that day and hope we could find a way to win.

In a derby, that can sometimes work. Liverpool were a good side and Davie Moyes liked to be difficult to beat. As we had beaten them 3-0 at Goodison, we got four points out of six against Liverpool that season.

Rafael Benitez didn’t like playing us and he resorted to shouting his mouth off a few times, calling us a “small club”.

I always remember the press conference where he kept saying “fact” when he was talking about Sir Alex Ferguson. He used to get really sucked in to mind games. He couldn’t have been that good at it because he constantly lost his head.

“You’re only good at mind games if you can take the emotion out of it and Benitez was far too emotional.

“I think he wanted to beat us 3-0 that day to even the score and he was really frustrated that they couldn’t break us down. AJ had a great chance in the second half, so we could have nicked it ourselves.

“Personally, I find that Benitez type of stuff really funny. It shows you’ve got to them. It shows that they’re frustrated and wobbly.

“Benitez didn’t win the league over here because he was competing against Sir Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho, who are brilliant at the mind games. Benitez wasn’t.

“He had an excellent record in Europe because there is less emphasis on the mind games. I felt he really struggled with that side of things and it showed when he was coming out making foolish, ill-thought comments like ‘small club’.”

Such a brilliant mind as to the nuances of English versus continental competition.  It woz mind games all along.

Benitez was spot on about the shite being a 'small club.' They still are. I was actually massively disappointed when he apologised for the comment. he should have told them to fuck off while you're at it.

Good news, the broadcasting money appears to be bailing them out of the debt situation. Of course they still have zero assets, a screwed up, money-draining ground, no ability to finance a new stadium, no real commercial income and little hope of ever becoming a Top 4 team. However it does mean that Bill can stop pretending that they are for sale and their fans will never be able to get rid of him.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29843746

If anyone fell for mind games it was Everton. He didn't actually say "Everton are a small club" he criticised the way they played and the fact that they had absolutely no ambition to attack or win the game, just hold on for a draw. He then says "this is what happens when you play the small clubs". Referring to most teams who are battling relegation and come to the big clubs just to get away with a 0-0.

Cue Evertonians and the club acting like hysterical bitches trying to tell everyone that they were massive and moaning to the press about them to be the first team in Liverpool to play in blue and have a church in the corner of their ground. I'd say he was a master of mind games.

They even admitted they were small themselves anyway when they had their radio adverts for season tickets. They were due to play us, Arsenal, The Mancs and Chelsea after Christmas and the advert said "Get your half season ticket, the perfect Christmas present and watch Everton tal on the big 4 at Goodison". That got a few of them riled to say the least.

• Upvote 2

Such a brilliant mind as to the nuances of English versus continental competition. It woz mind games all along.

I actually think there is some truth in those comments.

It is of course mostly about players and tactics but in one off games between evenly matched sides anything you can do helps to maybe influence somebody else's behaviour.

He was spot on about them being small time most of all.

Never a truer word spoken in jest.

A more than healthy profit for them last season but it still doesn't hide the fact that 75% of their income is from TV broadcasting. They've made no headway on matchday revenue and their commercial revenue is a pittance for a club that claims to be one of the biggest in the land.

Liverpool's figures for 2013/14 will be published early in 2015 and I'd expect that our commercial revenue is a similar amount to Everton's total revenue.

Yet they'll keep telling everyone that they go the game despite it plainly not being true, and the ones that do go spend fuck all at the ground anyway.