You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

Barkley has also attracted interest from some of Europe's elite clubs, namely Barcelona, but it is believed City are front-runners for the 20-year-old's signature and are prepared to double his wages to bring him to the Etihad Stadium in a deal that would be the biggest ever between two British clubs.  

One source close to the player said: “Its a Wayne Rooney situation all over again. Yet another player has comes through the brilliant academy set up at Goodison who so called bigger clubs are desperate to get their hands on.

'So called bigger clubs'. Barcelona.

• Upvote 1

I have some sympathy for Everton not being able to keep hold of a talented 20 year old for a few more seasons. I would quite like to see us in for Barkley but irrespective of the rivalry we wouldn't even get a look in today.Easy to laugh at them but there will be plenty of tears if Madrid or Barca grab Sterling next summer 

• Upvote 2

yep mr rat, theses local players doing it for their team keeps football with a bit of meaning and character. I honestly think Barkley is one hell of a player,but if he went to man city it would just all be a bit depressing. i wouldn't feel sorry for the bs i should clarify, the fucking fat jarg fila stripey t shirt wearing jubilee taxi driving smelly oboe discharges.

This probably doesn't belong here, because it's not anything that Everton have done wrong - but it is funny.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-30060535

A Gwynedd man who edited a webpage and named himself the founder of Everton Football Club as a childhood prank has come clean nine years on.

Guto Sion Jones edited a Wikipedia page in 2005 when he was 10 years old and listed himself as the founder in 1865.

Now 19, Mr Jones had forgotten about his misdeed until he heard his name mentioned on American sport TV channel ESPN while at home near Caernarfon.

He said: "When I was 10 years old, I thought it would be a good idea."

But now a student, he admitted: "But now I confess it wasn't that great."

Mr Jones made his confession to BBC Cymru Fyw and said the time is right to correct the situation, but said he is unable to edit the Wikipedia page as he did almost a decade ago.

The Liverpool-based club was actually founded by the St Domingo Methodist Church Sunday School which played its first game in 1878 and changed its name to Everton the following year.

Mr Jones said he did not make the change maliciously and now studies at Liverpool University to be closer to his beloved Toffees.

"I've supported Everton since I was six-years-old, have a season ticket and go to see them away as well - Everton means a great deal to me," he added.

Everton FC declined to comment.

It looks like Kenwright has instructed Martinez to try and drive up the price for Barkley.

Warning: Hyperbole alert!

Ross Barkley will become best England player EVER says his Everton boss Roberto Martinez

Toffees manager claims the young midfielder "has everything" in his game - and insists he won't be sold to balance the Goodison books

Chris Brunskill Everton-Press-Conference.jpg
Bank on it: Martinez expects Ross Barkley will eclipse the likes of Bobby Charlton and Gary Lineker

Everton boss Roberto Martinez believes that Ross Barkley is on the threshold of becoming the greatest player that England has ever seen.

And that is bad news for Manchester City as confidence grows at the Etihad that the champions will land the 20-year-old midfielder for £50million.

Martinez told fans that Barkley has everything needed to realise his potential – and has what it takes to become the best player the country has ever seen.

He said: “There is no doubt in my mind he will be the best player England has ever had.

“Ross has everything. Normally a player has the pace and power to get around the pitch, or they have the vision to pick a pass.

“Ross can do both of those things. He is two-footed, he’s intelligent and he is also in love with the game.

Getty Ross-Barkley-Raheem-Sterling-and-Daniel-
Lion cub: Barkley is already a full England international at the age of 20  

“All he wants to do is play football. When we played in our first UEFA Cup game this season he was gutted to be injured, because he was desperate to play.”

Martinez knows he will have a fight on his hands keeping Barkley at the Goodison club – even though the player signed a new four-year contract in the summer.

Mirror Sport revealed in August how City ditched a plan to sign him when they were quoted a minimum of £50m.

City will be back in the summer but Martinez warned: “Ross is probably the biggest asset Everton have ever had.

“The truth – and the key to his situation – is that we don’t have to sell. We don’t have to sell players to balance the books at Everton.”