Fugitive

*Shakes head* Everton again.

6 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Remember the echo headline on a board outside a newsagents.

Bill Kenwright on the six words he didn't want Barmby to say,

"I want to play for Liverpool"

Another classic was,

Everton's top target signs for Liverpool when we signed Momo.

I think their heads fell off again when we signed that Abel Zavier was it? Fucking huge lummox with blonde hair? I seem to remember he scored for us not long after signing and he'd never scored for everton or something in 80 games. He was a bit shit mind.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I think their heads fell off again when we signed that Abel Zavier was it? Fucking huge lummox with blonde hair? I seem to remember he scored for us not long after signing and he'd never scored for everton or something in 80 games. He was a bit shit mind.

Didn't he score for us against Everton?

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I seem to think that but wasnt sure!

Maybe I'm mistaken but I seem to remember there was an og then he went up the other end and scored for us. 

All that alcohol hasn't done my memory cells any good.

11 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Johnny Morrissey ? Going back a bit I know.

Just had a look on the interwebnet thingy and Xavier apparently scored on his debut against Ipswich Town...I was convinced it was Everton. 

It's that false memory syndrome again

16 minutes ago, Chr15 said:

Just had a look on the interwebnet thingy and Xavier apparently scored on his debut against Ipswich Town...I was convinced it was Everton. 

It's that false memory syndrome again

All those small clubs that play in blue just blend into one, eventually. It's an easy mistake to make.

Apparently Abel Xavier went to Walter Smith asking for a better contract and got laughed at saying you won't get anything like that here. He then said "that's ok because I'm signing for Liverpool"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

All those small clubs that play in blue just blend into one, eventually. It's an easy mistake to make.

So it's not an excess of alcohol then?  Thank fuck for that. I'm off for a pint!

56 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Johnny Morrissey ? Going back a bit I know.

Yeah, early 60's, Joe. I only recall Bob being a bit upset at Sheedy going to the shite saying we'd been paying him First Division wages. Crossing the divide wasnt common but the majority of fans werent that bothered. Like most things with everton, the bile can be traced back to around 1985 and that's all one way!

Fat Johnny Morrisey was sold behind Shanks’ back, he knew nothing about it until it was completed; I think we were playing in Europe and it caused a massive rift between him and the board; probably the first time he threatened to resign. 

32 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Apparently Abel Xavier went to Walter Smith asking for a better contract and got laughed at saying you won't get anything like that here. He then said "that's ok because I'm signing for Liverpool"

We paid him more to be shit for us than Everton were willing to pay him for being shit for them. Not a boast I’ll be one upping them with tbh.

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I can see Rodriguez wanting to bin Rafa. 

He’s been trying to get out since Ancelotti left, way before Rafa was ever mentioned. 

28 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

We paid him more to be shit for us than Everton were willing to pay him for being shit for them. Not a boast I’ll be one upping them with tbh.

The man who turned down being shit for Everton to be shit for Liverpool. 

6 hours ago, belarus said:

Barmby was great when he was here I thought. Always performed well, was really versatile and scored some important goals. A proper footballer. Or am I remembering it wrong?

Started well, got injured, never really pulled himself back into contention. Of that treble-winning side I’m not convinced he would be in anyone’s best XI as the midfield also had Gerrard, McAllister, Hamman and Murphy, whilst Berger and Smicer were in reserve. 

A goal in the derby for Barmby, while welcome, as it was from Carroll, doesn't realistically raise his true level. Both were bang average players. We don't apply Blueshite criteria in order to establish a player's true worth and status to our club like they do - Duncan Ferguson, I'm looking at you!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, belarus said:

That song doesn’t. It’s fucking horrible

Twat of a play as well as are most of Scouse plays, brick up the Mersey etc.

Can't even remember who brought big ears on when I saw it.

14 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah, early 60's, Joe. I only recall Bob being a bit upset at Sheedy going to the shite saying we'd been paying him First Division wages. Crossing the divide wasnt common but the majority of fans werent that bothered. Like most things with everton, the bile can be traced back to around 1985 and that's all one way!

It was either keep Ronnie or Kevin as I remember it and for me/us it worked out rather well.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Stouffer said:

Honestly forgotten that Barmby had played for us.

When The Bloos take The Moral High Ground ( not often I know) I remind them of the "Die Die Nicky Nicky Die" chant.

4 minutes ago, redinblack said:

When The Bloos take The Moral High Ground ( not often I know) I remind them of the "Die Die Nicky Nicky Die" chant.

"No, that's German for 'The The Nicky Nicky The'"

• Upvote 8