You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone ever made Turbo Cider

Anny Road

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Just tried the first lt bottle of this laid it down for 3 weeks and it is truly fantastic. I would go as far as to say it is one of the nicest ciders I have ever tasted. It is smooth creamy dry and at 9% is like posh tramp juice. Its fizzy as Champagne and leaves no bitterness in the mouth. @ 25p a pint its a winner.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Have heard that Stella are bring out a cider (cidre)...

should make for an interesting afternoon in "Snakebite Sunday" in your local Walkabouts!

All it cost me mate was 5 lts of shitty lifestyle apple juice at 50p a pop. You need a demi john or one of those 5lt plastic water bottles (90p in Tesco) an airlock apple juice and a bit of yeast.

Chuck 4 lts in the bottle drop in the yeast leave it in a warm room (airing cupboard) with the airlock on. A week to 10 days later syphon into plastic fizz bottles bit of sugar, keep the bottles warm for a week then store them cold for at least a week.

If you do not add any sugar it will come out at around 5 or 6% add 1/2 a bag of sugar and its around 9 / 10%. Loopy juice as my posting last night will testify.

• 2 months later...

Did there not used to be a home brew shop in Liverpool city centre at one time ? I remember many years ago Boots used to sell home brew stuff. Might get a little thing going myself. Would a loft be OK ? Can the place of storage be to warm ?

When I read the thread title, I thought this was going to be another Simon classic until I seen AR's name on it.

There was a small shed on London Rd opposite from the Odeon that sold all the kit although I'm not sure if it's still there.
Cant say I've noticed it but that not the one I had in mind. Looked on the web and there's a place on West Derby Road by the police station. Will have a wonder up there at the weekend and see what's what.

BTW, the Odeon. Demolished into the annals of Liverpool history now.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted mine out following the original video. Here's a picture of the stuff I used which cost me just over £8 for everything. The apple juice is Aldi own which was 56p a litre

imag0551e.jpg

I didn't have a heat mat so put it wrapped in a coat in front of a fire on low and seemed to produce the same effects. After 24 hours I put it in the cupboard under the stairs and now I play the waiting game...

Ok, the fermentation slowed early so I decided to bottle 1 week early.

I used old coke bottles sterilized. There should've been enough for 8 bottles but the last one was so sedimentry it had a colour which looked a bit iffy...so I left that one.

Put 2 tsp of sugar (plus a half to account for spillages) per bottle and have now put them in a cupboard where they will remain for exactly 1 week.

225544_10150593555960024_579265023_18428079_3309959_n.jpg

The highlite for me was during the siphoning process some of it touched my lips and it tasted like barrell cider you get from Ye Cracke. Fucking a!

Will naturally report back. Remmie, how's yours doing?

Been doing the Rose wine for the wife over the last a couple of months.... she loves it, in the middle of building a still. just started to make Srewberry panty droppers. Truely lovely.

hopefully (still & SPD) will be finished next week; we'll see if it lives up to it name!

Edited by redsoxs

I've got a larger on the go. It's due to be bottled on Saturday. Took the temp when I got home tonight and it doesn't smell to good. It smells a bit stale but I'm not entirely sure what it's supposed to smell like.

Need to find a few Guinea Pigs now.

Take a taste test, if bad (you'll know), your ale is containated..... your sterilisation needs to improved.

Everything was new and I even sterilised that before use. Will just wait and see what happens when I bottle it.

you'll find out over the weekend; it don't matter if new or not, Bactria thieves with yeast & sugar, just takes something to touch anything on the fermenting lid or spoon, even placing it on the table which you think clean can hold Bactria. What you could be smelling is the yeast so it could still be OK.

Don't worry if it smell like shit especially beer. The difference a couple of weeks makes is astounding.

I'm now making my Turbo cider in 18 lt batches and giving most of it away.

Get one of these

istockphoto_7587389-bottle-for-water-cooler-office.jpg

18lts in 4 weeks. Now the weather is warming up it's a lot easier.

Don't worry if it smell like shit especially beer. The difference a couple of weeks makes is astounding.

I'm now making my Turbo cider in 18 lt batches and giving most of it away.

Get one of these

istockphoto_7587389-bottle-for-water-cooler-office.jpg

18lts in 4 weeks. Now the weather is warming up it's a lot easier.

Without resorting to petty theft where can I get one of them locally? (assuming your username reflects your locality to me) and do you just get a rubber bung to fix the airlock in place?

Sorry PD I live in the back of beyond. I do have two and could send you one. Be a bit of a pain in the arse to ship. I gave one of those vans delivering them an tenner for the pair of them. I then phoned a home brew shop and got them to send me some corks with a hole in that were slightly bigger then sanded them down and they fit perfect. One big batch is so much easier than 4 or 5 little ones. I have to say I prefer it a week or two after it is ready, 5 or 6 weeks later it gets a bit heavy for me.