You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone ever made Turbo Cider

Anny Road

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're in Liverpool there's a.shop on west derby road. Otherwise wilkos does various stuff and its all relative cheap online too. Stay away from the "kits" as from looking at them you can buy the essentials cheaper individually

Thanks. I found a shop kind of near where I work. But with traffic in the city centre, parking etc, it would probably be best if I ordered online. Parking and petrol, not to mention wasted time, would add up to more than the postage.

I have a 5l water bottle, but it has quite a wide neck. Would a standard bung for a gallon demijohn fit these? It's hard to tell from photos.

Sorry wasn't meant flippantly haha. I think the demijohn necks are pretty uniform though. You may be able to find a screw lid with a valve (think called a gromit) you can slot the airlock straight into as well

I think i'll just plump for a new demijohn, bung and airlock together, that way i know they'll fit. You mentioned ordering online for £5.50 inc P&P. Where was this from? I'll have a look myself when I get home but that seems a good deal.

Thanks. I just ordered a siphon tube, grommet and airlock to use with my existing 5l bottle. Came to 3.40 delivered. I think i can drill the lid and fit the grommet without too much trouble. If this works ill definitely be buying a pair of 10l+ sized fermenting buckets. I like the idea of trying 2 flavours at a time. I also have an old fridge out in my shed that is completely unused so I have space to chill them too. Time to start collecting 500ml bottles.

Thanks. I just ordered a siphon tube, grommet and airlock to use with my existing 5l bottle. Came to 3.40 delivered. I think i can drill the lid and fit the grommet without too much trouble. If this works ill definitely be buying a pair of 10l+ sized fermenting buckets. I like the idea of trying 2 flavours at a time. I also have an old fridge out in my shed that is completely unused so I have space to chill them too. Time to start collecting 500ml bottles.

Good work! I would go with the 1 litre bottles myself just for ease. I.drink loads of tonic water so it wasnt too much hassle

About sterilisation, I noticed in that video (post 2 I think) that they sterilised the bottle, then rinsed it out with tap water. Would this not contaminate the bottle again? How important is sterilisation I.e. Do you have to be really careful?

Also, how do you work out the alcohol content once brewed?

Don't worry if it smell like shit especially beer. The difference a couple of weeks makes is astounding.

I'm now making my Turbo cider in 18 lt batches and giving most of it away.

Get one of these

istockphoto_7587389-bottle-for-water-cooler-office.jpg

18lts in 4 weeks. Now the weather is warming up it's a lot easier.

I could pinch one of these empties from work, what size bung did you order for it? Do these vessels work best if nearly full or does it not matter if you only half/quarter fill them?

You can use one sachet of wine/cider yeast for up to 20 litres so you still only need the one. A good tip for "activating" the yeast is to put half a pint of water in the fridge for about 2 hours, then add another half pint of boiling water, add the yeast and a tablespoon of sugar and stir vigerously for about 5 minutes, leave it to stand for an hour and the fermentation has already begun

You can either buy a custom container (I got from a brewing shop a 10litre bucket with airlock for £5) otherwise buy a rubber bung with a hole and an airlock seperate, naturally making sure the bung will fit snugly into the gap of your Demijohn. What did you buy as a container Remmie?

You don't put anything in the fridge until it's bottled and settled anyway so the fridge shouldn't really come into it

PROTIP melt a jar of honey and 1/2 bag of sugar into 2 litres of applejuice in a pan otherwise your cider will be as sharp as a Croatian man's features

I'm initiating Mk3 on the weekend, it's like Alchemy. My first batch was really sharp, the 2nd was less so and delicious (finished the last bottle the other week)

Excellent tips mate cheers. I have a demi-john from the car boot with a cork bung but no airlock, but I also have a brewing barrel with an airlock which can fit 40 pints (20 litres I think). I noticed a similar one in your pictures, did you use it and again did you fill the barrell?

About sterilisation, I noticed in that video (post 2 I think) that they sterilised the bottle, then rinsed it out with tap water. Would this not contaminate the bottle again? How important is sterilisation I.e. Do you have to be really careful?

Also, how do you work out the alcohol content once brewed?

As long as you sterilise thoroughly I reckon tap water to rinse is fine from my very limited homebrewing experience.

Rem, you want to leave as little head space above your brew as you can.

1. Its more effecient

2. Less space for nasties to infect your brew.

Don't fill to to the neck at the start leave 3 or 4 lts out or it will end up all over the place.

Just bottled a apple and honey one inspired by PD. Can't wait to try it.

Best to have a wee try with a small batch first rem. Even better to but 2 small ones on a week or so apart with a slightly different amount of sugar in. Keep a few notes and compare them when done. Gives you an idea of what you like. I made one with no sugar in it just what was naturally in the apple juice. Just under 5 % but stunningly drinkable.

Excellent tips mate cheers. I have a demi-john from the car boot with a cork bung but no airlock, but I also have a brewing barrel with an airlock which can fit 40 pints (20 litres I think). I noticed a similar one in your pictures, did you use it and again did you fill the barrell?

It's totally re-usable and I plan to do so on the weekend. My barrell is 10 litre capacity but I only filled it with 8 litres to cautiously allow for fermentation foam etc. I will use 9 this weekend though as I had to write-off about the bottle 1/2 litre due to excess yeast etc which, although technically drinkable, i prefer to discard.

You can get an air lock for a couple of quid in Wilkos or even cheaper online from that shop if you don't mind the delivery wait.

This weekend I'm going to do 7 litres of apple and 2 litres of something else but I haven't decided what. If I could get pear juice I would but I've never seen that around.

This is defo worth trying makes cracking dirt cheap white wine. Can be adapted to allsorts.

This is an adaptation of a recipe by B.C.A. Turner.

It is a very simple and cheap recipe but I was sufficiently impressed with the end result that I would like to share it with you all.

1 litre carton Del Monte 100% pure orange juice.

1 litre carton Tesco’s pure pressed white grape juice.

1½ lb sugar.

1 tsp nutrient

G.P. yeast

½ tsp tannin

1 tsp Pectic Enzyme

1 tsp glycerine

Water to 1 gallon

Desolve sugar in a pint or so of boiling water.

Stir all the ingredients into 1½ pints cold water till well mixed and aerated.

Top up to 1 gallon, check initial S.G. which should be about 1.090 and adjust if necessary.

Ferment as usual under air lock. Rack at 1.000 (or ferment to dry and back sweeten) and add 1 crushed Campden tablet plus potassium sorbate.

Clear as per usual and bottle, the wine is ready for immediate consumption but will improve with time.

Serve this medium dry wine slightly chilled. It has a pleasant fruity nose, an attractive orange tint and good mouth feel thanks to the added glycerine.

http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1218971587

Might just try the pineapple cider. I checked my order and for some reason it didn't go through (was on my phone with a poor data connection) Kinda lucky though cos I placed an order again tonight for 2 grommets, 2 airlocks, siphon hose and some YEAST which I had forgotten the first time around. Going to pick up another 5L of water tomorrow for £1 so I can make 2 at a time. Thinking of one apple, and one pineapple.

This is defo worth trying makes cracking dirt cheap white wine. Can be adapted to allsorts.

This is an adaptation of a recipe by B.C.A. Turner.

It is a very simple and cheap recipe but I was sufficiently impressed with the end result that I would like to share it with you all.

1 litre carton Del Monte 100% pure orange juice.

1 litre carton Tesco’s pure pressed white grape juice.

1½ lb sugar.

1 tsp nutrient

G.P. yeast

½ tsp tannin

1 tsp Pectic Enzyme

1 tsp Glycerine

Water to 1 gallon

Desolve sugar in a pint or so of boiling water.

Stir all the ingredients into 1½ pints cold water till well mixed and aerated.

Top up to 1 gallon, check initial S.G. which should be about 1.090 and adjust if necessary.

Ferment as usual under air lock. Rack at 1.000 (or ferment to dry and back sweeten) and add 1 crushed Campden tablet plus potassium sorbate.

Clear as per usual and bottle, the wine is ready for immediate consumption but will improve with time.

Serve this medium dry wine slightly chilled. It has a pleasant fruity nose, an attractive orange tint and good mouth feel thanks to the added Glycerine.

http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1218971587

I can confirm this is great wine, I've done loads of the stuff..... Highly recommended.(Wurzel's WOW)

Regarding the Glycerine, you wouldn't add this until second or third ranking, i personally think it better without it.

Thanks. I found a shop kind of near where I work. But with traffic in the city centre, parking etc, it would probably be best if I ordered online. Parking and petrol, not to mention wasted time, would add up to more than the postage.

I have a 5l water bottle, but it has quite a wide neck. Would a standard bung for a gallon demijohn fit these? It's hard to tell from photos.

I'm sure its been mentioned in previous posts, unless i'm thinking another forum, the bungs are standard 28mm to 32mm (bottom to top), most who starting out, buy 5L water bottles from Asda (99p) then drill the hole using a wood drill.