You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Not sure if anyone else has been following this, but a press conference from NASA has been announced for 2 pm local time for tomorrow.

NASA - NASA Sets News Conference on Astrobiology Discovery; Science Journal Has Embargoed Details Until 2 p.m. EST On Dec. 2

Dwayne Brown

Headquarters, Washington

202-358-1726

dwayne.c.brown@nasa.gov

Cathy Weselby

Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, Calif.

650-604-2791

cathy.weselby@nasa.gov

Nov. 29, 2010

MEDIA ADVISORY : M10-167

NASA Sets News Conference on Astrobiology Discovery; Science Journal Has Embargoed Details Until 2 p.m. EST On Dec. 2

WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe.

The news conference will be held at the NASA Headquarters auditorium at 300 E St. SW, in Washington. It will be broadcast live on NASA Television and streamed on the agency's website at NASA - Home.

Participants are:

- Mary Voytek, director, Astrobiology Program, NASA Headquarters, Washington

- Felisa Wolfe-Simon, NASA astrobiology research fellow, U.S. Geological Survey, Menlo Park, Calif.

- Pamela Conrad, astrobiologist, NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.

- Steven Benner, distinguished fellow, Foundation for Applied Molecular Evolution, Gainesville, Fla.

- James Elser, professor, Arizona State University, Tempe

Media representatives may attend the conference or ask questions by phone or from participating NASA locations. To obtain dial-in information, journalists must send their name, affiliation and telephone number to Steve Cole at stephen.e.cole@nasa.gov or call 202-358-0918 by noon Dec. 2.

For NASA TV streaming video and downlink information, visit:

NASA - NASA TV

For more information about NASA astrobiology activities, visit:

NASA Astrobiology

- end -

So has ET been found? Lots of chatter on the big interweb on this.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably just some micro bacterial life. I wouldn't get too excited.

However, it's actually a mathematical impossibility for there NOT to be extra terrestrial life out there.

Space is infinite. By the very nature of the term infinity there are therefore infinite possibilities of an infinite variety of lifeforms.

To think otherwise is almost retarded.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
They are sending a probe to Europa, expeting to depart in 2016 with the first results coming back in 2169.

That's a long time to wait to hear 'we appear to have lost contact'.

However, it's actually a mathematical impossibility for there NOT to be extra terrestrial life out there.

Space is infinite. By the very nature of the term infinity there are therefore infinite possibilities of an infinite variety of lifeforms.

Nice idea, but space is not infinite since it is expanding, and even if it were why should the existence of physical laws not mean that there would be an infinite amount of very similar stuff?

Nice idea, but space is not infinite since it is expanding, and even if it were why should the existence of physical laws not mean that there would be an infinite amount of very similar stuff?

I am aware of this expanding, but if it is the case, what's behind the wall where it ends? And ithas to end if it's expanding. What's it expanding in to?

I do however agree with Toms stance on other life. There is no way at all there ISN'T otehr life out there. no way. it may be so far away that we'll never meet it, but it's out there.

I am aware of this expanding, but if it is the case, what's behind the wall where it ends? And ithas to end if it's expanding. What's it expanding in to?

I do however agree with Toms stance on other life. There is no way at all there ISN'T otehr life out there. no way. it may be so far away that we'll never meet it, but it's out there.

There doesn't have to be a wall where it ends if space-time is indeed curved.

I do however agree that there is a huge likelihood of extraterrestrial life.

No way! I bet you any amount of money they wheel Alf out in a Hannibal Lector restraining thingy.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It's not impossible that there's not other life. Considering the numbers involved, I'd guess that it's not unlikely that there's some other life - at least in some form - elsewhere in the universe. It'd be pretty ace if there was intelligent life.

space IS infinite. Don't be silly. Even if it came to an end with a single mloecule, then what is that molecule made of? And what is that substance made of, and so on... infinitely. We're in to teh world of fractal physics here and it's very much misunderstood.

More bizarrely, you could theoretically journey infinitely both outwardly AND inwardly from yourself. inwards forever, and outwards forever.

YOU are the very epicentre of everything there is in your world. YOU are the event horizon.

I'd urge all of you to download something called Crossing The Event Horizon lectures by a guy called Nassim Haramein, a controversial modern physicist who has published what is so far the only truly unified theory that has (up to now) no loose ends or gaping holes. It'll blow your mind in its simplicity and you will never look at the world and the universe in the same way again, I promise you.

It's very long, and you won't want to watch it with the kids, but I'd urge you to all watch it nevertheless.

It's not impossible that there's not other life. Considering the numbers involved, I'd guess that it's not unlikely that there's some other life - at least in some form - elsewhere in the universe. It'd be pretty ace if there was intelligent life.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for there not to be!

not unlikely, not remote, IMPOSSIBLE.

infinity, by it's very definition, means infinite possibility ie; certainty. It's the old infinite amount of monkeys and typewriters/Shakespeare thing. It's impossible for that not to happen, because the possibilities are infinite.

It's hard to grasp, because our tiny minds can not really comprehend the complexity of infinity. But you have to just let it be and accept it.

infinity, by it's very definition, means infinite possibility ie; certainty. It's the old infinite amount of monkeys and typewriters/Shakespeare thing. It's impossible for that not to happen, because the possibilities are infinite.

It's hard to grasp, because our tiny minds can not really comprehend the complexity of infinity. But you have to just let it be and accept it.

Oh dear.

Numbers for a fact carry on infinitely, so space could simply do the same. Any edge or wall in the universe has to have something beyond it, you can't put an end on it. Even curving implies it's curving around something so there has to be a beyond, then on and on, etc. Perception has to change to be settled with the whole idea of it, maybe it just unsettles people because it can't be closed off and grasped.

yeah, thanks for your in depth insight and first class intellectual contribution to this very interesting debate.

Derp.

I think it is very likely that there is life somewhere else, however, to claim it is a necessity is logically wrong. In logical terms:

the statement that there are humans on earth is assertoric

the statement that all humans are mortal is apodictic

the statement that there must be life on other planets is problematic

If you claim that life MUST exists elsewhere because the universe is infininte, you also have to claim that they MUST have already been here. Because that is also a possibility.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It's not hard to grasp, it's just easy to refute. Just because there are infinite possibilities, it doesn't mean that it has to happen. For example, it's entirely possible that those monkeys could, from the outset, write the same 100 pages in a repeated pattern for the rest of eternity. That possibility ends as soon as they type a wrong letter. Similarly, the possibility of them writing Shakespeare doesn't actually mean that it has to happen. With infinite possibilities, it means that they also have the possibility of not typing any Shakespeare.

Just like there's a possibility that there's no other life. It's likely, in the same sense that monkeys writing Shakespeare is unlikely. You need to stay away from the pseudoscience and debunked 'self-taught' scientists.

It's not hard to grasp, it's just easy to refute. Just because there are infinite possibilities, it doesn't mean that it has to happen. For example, it's entirely possible that those monkeys could, from the outset, write the same 100 pages in a repeated pattern for the rest of eternity. That possibility ends as soon as they type a wrong letter. Similarly, the possibility of them writing Shakespeare doesn't actually mean that it has to happen. In infinite possibilities, it means that they also have the possibility of not typing any Shakespeare.

Just like there's a possibility that there's no other life. It's likely, in the same sense that monkeys writing Shakespeare is unlikely. You need to stay away from the pseudoscience and debunked 'self-taught' scientists.

No mate. You're just quite simply a million miles away from grasping what the concept of infinity is! You're a million miles away!

The monkeys would not only type out the complete works of Shakespeare, but they would do it an infinite amount of times!

AND they would not only do that but they would also (as you say) do the same 100 pages an INFINITE amount of times, and they would also do an infinite amount of the complete works of shakespeare with just one spelling mistake or with maybe one chapter missing, or maybe just the word "orange"... and infinite amount of times.

They would recreate every single possible mistake possible and they would do it infinite number of times as well as recreating the complete works of Shakespeare an infinite number of times.

You don't have to like it, but that's just the way it is. I'm not going to argue with you if can't grasp it, because it's just a fact.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Possibility does not equal certainty, Tom. Balls to arguing about it, though; I've got to go and feed Mr. Schrödinger's cat. Or have I?