You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is the Times Newspaper a credible source of information?

StevieH

Haung was never a serious bidder I would have put money on that ,every thing Evans and Barret have reported on has been wide of the mark, these two make Bascombe look a fucken genius

Strange then that both Broughton and RBS made comments that he was.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday Times:

Barcelona are ready to make Liverpool an offer for the unsettled midfielder Javier Mascherano, encouraged by the player’s desire to leave England for an environment where his family will be happier.

Barça have learnt from his representatives that Mascherano would welcome the transfer. The Catalans would start their bidding at £15m, some way short of the £20m Liverpool regard as their minimum price, but Barça would also explore the possibility of adding a player as makeweight in the deal and be prepared to wait until the end of the transfer window to reach a conclusion.

Barcelona’s head coach, Pep Guardiola, having shown only lukewarm enthusiasm for the Argentina captain when Mascherano submitted a transfer request to Liverpool last month, is now concerned about a lack of cover in central midfield, having sold Yaya Toure to Manchester City. The Spain international Sergio Busquets is first choice in the anchor role but his disciplinary record, and possible fatigue after a long World Cup, mean Guardiola has told his board he wants back-up.

“There are 10 days left of the market,” he said. “We will try to sign somebody for the position that needs reinforcing.”

Barcelona’s attitude has also altered with the withdrawal of interest in Mascherano from Inter Milan. Inter had formally asked Liverpool about Mascherano and Dutch midfielder Dirk Kuyt, who was quoted in Holland yesterday as saying he felt in a “luxury position” of being wanted by Inter and Liverpool.

The Spanish champions, who were prepared to extend their transfer budget to buy Cesc Fabregas until Arsenal refused to yield, will decide on their Mascherano strategy in the next two days. In that time they will continue to seek ways to reduce their wage bill by arranging a still-unlikely loan or sale of striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Barça also hope to find takers for Uruguayan defender Martin Caceres and former Arsenal player Alexander Hleb. One or both could be offered to Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson, who would like a left-back — a position Caceres can play. Alberto Aquilani’s departure yesterday for a season’s loan at Juventus, leaves room at Anfield for a creative midfielder such as Hleb.

By disposing of Aquilani, Liverpool removed a big salary from their outgoings. The Italians have agreed to pay in full the wages of the third-highest earner at Anfield, after Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres. Juventus also have an option to buy Aquilani for €16m.

Sunday Times: By disposing of Aquilani, Liverpool removed a big salary from their outgoings. The Italians have agreed to pay in full the wages of the third-highest earner at Anfield, after Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres. Juventus also have an option to buy Aquilani for €16m.
Please let this not be true. This has surely got to be incorrect. It just has to be wrong. Third highest earner ? Kinell

Please let this not be true. This has surely got to be incorrect. It just has to be wrong. Third highest earner ? Kinell

That was my thoughts aswell. If true, this has just gotten even worse of a signing. Total car crash even before taking this into account.

Personally I think Evans was 100% correct about Torres in the March period.

I don't know if he is 100% correct about Haung but they appear to be largely correct.

Fans have attributed facts to them which TB and TE have not said.

I do not think it takes a genius to figure out that Torres will leave if the club is headed for mid table mediocrity and these cancer are still here come Xmas.

Fans may not like to hear it but it is the reality.

While Tony does express his passion and perhaps he should not be saying Torres will leave in January at this time. He should say play his hand more cleverly and ask the question will Torres stay, it would have a better effect in my opinion.

You may not like what he has to say but lets be honest about what he has said.

The club is f*cked if we dont get the Yanks out - no rocket science there.

Top players will leave if we don't get the Yanks out - no rocket science there either.

The board are posturing to get a better deal for the Yanks - would you doubt that, I dont?

Does anyone trust RBS to do the right thing by us?

I don't, they consistently serve their own interests.

The 60m penalty the club will have to pay come August 31st is proof of that - it will make the club even more expensive to buy.

Do you trust Purslow and his fantasy football approach?

The players don't, they think he is a cock - they are not interested in his politics.

So Tony is saying Torres will leave in Jan, maybe he knows more than he is saying.

He is after all a very passionate fan and I suspect he has not printed some gossip about players for the same reasons I see ITKs on other forums avoiding answering questions about it - it is damaging and only serves to distract fans from the real problem, the Yanks and our board.

Personally I think Liverpool fans should never spread gossip about players, it damages the club.

Sorry if that comes across as a bit sanctimonious for a new member but Tony is not the enemy and in his own way is doing everything he can to help the club.

Personally I think the Times are correct to print what they know, it's up to the board or other papers to disprove it - so far they haven't, all scaremongery has later proved to be false, example the FT later editing the online fake CIC denial, the Kenyon shite another example.

So for one while my post has been a bit long winded and shows my frustration, I would rather have Liverpool fans tell us what they have been told about bidders rather than hide it.

I really don't understand the need to crucify them for doing so.

And the argument that is being used to back up the criticism is that Tony was wrong about Torres and Gerrard in the summer.

He was 95% correct but being passionate he overstated the case. Instead of saying they are definitely leaving, he should have left it at "they were considering leaving" which wasn't exactly a secret.

Guest TK-421
Take the speculation, the newspapers, the journalists, the ITKs and everyone else out of the equation and lets see those who want to buy the club subjected to genuine scrutiny.

When you strip it down to the bare bones like this there's nothing left. Casting all of the bullshit and hysteria aside there are still no bids, there's nothing to scrutinise. It's all a sham.

Broughton said it wouldn't be played out through the press, who was he trying to kid?

When you strip it down to the bare bones like this there's nothing left. Casting all of the bullshit and hysteria aside there are still no bids, there's nothing to scrutinise. It's all a sham.

Broughton said it wouldn't be played out through the press, who was he trying to kid?

and why

One thing about Tony Evans's latest claim on Torres that Torres will leave on January 1st - ie that with the collapse of the Huang deal (which we are told by him was the only deal on the table) he has decided to go. There are still 10 days left of the current transfer window so why wouldn't he simply demand a move now? Why waste the next four months of his life?

Can anyone confirm Evans's "rumblings of discontent with Hodgson" comment because that's not in print as far as I can tell. is this just a slightly malicious internet rumour or has he actually said this?

One thing about Tony Evans's latest claim on Torres that Torres will leave on January 1st - ie that with the collapse of the Huang deal (which we are told by him was the only deal on the table) he has decided to go. There are still 10 days left of the current transfer window so why wouldn't he simply demand a move now? Why waste the next four months of his life?

AC Milan are reportedly after Ibrahimovic who is unhappy at Barca....

Can anyone confirm Evans's "rumblings of discontent with Hodgson" comment because that's not in print as far as I can tell. is this just a slightly malicious internet rumour or has he actually said this?

Yes he said some of the players where not happy with the team selection and already there is rumblings of discontent. Suppose he would say that being a member of the Rafa Benitez appreciation society. He said it on Talkshite on Saturday morning during a converstion with Mickey Quinn.

If (and it's a big if) there are "rumblings of discontent" after a handful of games when no-one is at equal levels of fitness then it's going to happen under any manager, because you would be talking about players who are looking for excuses.

As you say it's a big if if its even true but I'd struggle to actually think of anyone who could be unhappy at the minute. Most have got some minutes during ur first few games.