You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool team v Arsenal, 15th Aug 2010

HJohal

We are just over 2 weeks away from the 1st game of the season and whilst I would love to be optimistic about further major new signings coming in to be ready for the 1st game of the season ... I doubt this will happen.

So with the players we currently have - what will be our best line up taking into consideration WC, Fitness, Morale, Opposition etc?

Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Maxi, Lucas, Gerrard, Cole, Jovanovic, Ngog.

Subs: Cavalieri, Kelly, Kyrgiakos, Mascherano, Aquilani, Kuyt, Pacheco

Ill have a go at this

============Reina==========

Johnson==Carragher==Agger==Figueroa??

Maxi===Gerrrad===Defour==Jovanovic

===========Cole============

==========Torres===========

(wishful thinking on my behalf with Defour)

Obviously some of the names are pie in the sky but I have just tried to pick the two players that have been strongly linked with us, not like a passing name like Scharner and all the other millions of names.

Lucas Gerrard doesnt work because we have nobody who can retain possession in the midfield. Lucas can close down space, win the ball, and keep it moving with short passing; Gerrard can drive it forward and link with the attack. But neither has the combination of composure on the ball, passing range, and patience to easily keep the ball in the midfield.

So I hope we have something better to offer.

Lucas Gerrard doesnt work because we have nobody who can retain possession in the midfield. Lucas can close down space, win the ball, and keep it moving with short passing; Gerrard can drive it forward and link with the attack. But neither has the combination of composure on the ball, passing range, and patience to easily keep the ball in the midfield.

So I hope we have something better to offer.

If you don't think Gerrard can do all of that - you're crazy!

The main reason cole joined us was he was told he'd play in the middle, I think gerrard will drop back into centre with cole off Torres

Riena

Johnson Agger Carragher Konchesky

Maxi. Gerrard Mascherano(Lucas). Kuyt

Cole

Torres(ngog)

That's the team I believe will start against Arsenal

Since Torres wont be playing, I'd put Stephen Gerrard up front as the striker, because I don't rate Ngog good enough to face the Arsenal backline. I'm assuming that the Masch will be in midfield as per usual. The contract is solid. The Owen look alike can go at LM, with Johnson RM, and I'd play Kuyt just behind Gerrard.

Reina

Johnson

Carragher

Agger

Konchesky

Lucas

Gerrard

Kuyt

Cole

Jovanovic

Torres (if not fit, then new striker, no idea who)

That looks a very balanced side. I like the prospect of Gerrard dropping deeper into midfield and Cole playing in a central role behind Torres. I still think we lack quality and pace in the wide areas, but any monies raised from the sale of Mascherano must be re-invested in a new striker.

Since Torres wont be playing, I'd put Stephen Gerrard up front as the striker, because I don't rate Ngog good enough to face the Arsenal backline. I'm assuming that the Masch will be in midfield as per usual. The contract is solid. The Owen look alike can go at LM, with Johnson RM, and I'd play Kuyt just behind Gerrard.

You could play Jovanovic or Kuyt up front.

I think Babel will start ahead of jovanovic on the left. Apart from that I agree with Dave's team.

No way will Babel start ahead of Milan a) he is lacking in match fitness compared to Milan b) he is quite shit really (hopefully Roy can turn him into a superstar with better man management but that is for the future c) Milan was pretty damn good the other night (granted not great opposition).

Milan showed a lot of quality lacking from the likes of Kuyt and Babel i.e. can take any type of ball delivered and get it under control in an instant. He showed great strength in holding off defenders and when competing for a ball. Has a a decent turn of pace and can get in a decent cross on the run using his left foot (which Babel is lacking).

Summer and swallows and all that but his performance gave me real hope for the coming season. Head on the block but predict he will become a regular in the starting eleven and be one of star players of the season.