You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

One of my favourite Liverpool myths from the last few years this one. The fella who was supposedly employed by Benitez to scrutinise the press was called Juanfran and anyone who ever came across him at Melwood or anywhere else would be able to tell you he couldn't speak a word of English, never mind perform some sort of Alistair Campbell style role. On the subject of Hodgson, good luck to him if and when he is confirmed. He is one of football's good guys and it would be great if he could prove the doubters, of which I am one, wrong. The very least he deserves is a chance to do so. It doesn't matter who's brought him in, who anyone would've prefered or who he's replaced, from the moment he becomes Liverpool manager he deserves to be treated as such - and that means affording him dignity and respect.

Wepped.

Top 4 in his first season when Roy takes over. No problem. He will get plenty of support off plenty of people when he first comes here. Likes all his predecessors have done when they first arrive.

Houllier was hardly a successful manager prior to joining us, he did okay. Won a few cups, lowest league position was 5th. I would settle for the same under Hodgson.

Please tell me your joking,you don't honestly expect us to get 4th,do you?

I warned all you lot who wanted Benitez sacked this would happen

Hope you are happy with yourselves having a 'flavour of the month' type pushing Kenny aside and bringing you 'flavour of the month' decisions by an accountant to appoint a diplomat 'flavour of the month' manager.

What flavour ? Is it steak?

I warned all you lot who wanted Benitez sacked this would happen

Hope you are happy with yourselves having a 'flavour of the month' type pushing Kenny aside and bringing you 'flavour of the month' decisions by an accountant to appoint a diplomat 'flavour of the month' manager.

Nothing's happened yet Dennis. Benitez had long ceased to be an asset to the club - we were only going one way with him imo, so to suggest that we will be worse off in that respect is puzzling to say the least. Let's wait and see who is unveiled as the new manager, and let's give him the benefit of the doubt - they start with a clean slate as far as I'm concerned. Almost everyone on here wants Kenny to be the new manager.

If he isn't, it's not because he's being 'pushed aside' by the new man, it's because the board wouldn't select him for the job. What would you expect the new man to do in those circumstances? Turn round and say 'I'm not taking the job because I think you should give it to Dalglish?' Perhaps we should expect all the available decent managers to come together and agree not to take the Liverpool job because Kenny should have it really. Or, more realistically, we should not.

One of my favourite Liverpool myths from the last few years this one. The fella who was supposedly employed by Benitez to scrutinise the press was called Juanfran and anyone who ever came across him at Melwood or anywhere else would be able to tell you he couldn't speak a word of English, never mind perform some sort of Alistair Campbell style role. On the subject of Hodgson, good luck to him if and when he is confirmed. He is one of football's good guys and it would be great if he could prove the doubters, of which I am one, wrong. The very least he deserves is a chance to do so. It doesn't matter who's brought him in, who anyone would've prefered or who he's replaced, from the moment he becomes Liverpool manager he deserves to be treated as such - and that means affording him dignity and respect.

Spot on.

Great post.

Fulham went backwards last year in the league. if we are basing an appointment on success in a piss poor euro comp in which half the teams arent arsed fielding full teams then why didnt we at least try and get the manager who won it ?

if torres and SG go and with RH's inability to get results away from home, added to the disruption at home games through the inevitable protests then top HALF of the table could be beyond us

despite all the rumours i have convinced myself RH was a smokescreen for a big name or a takeover -- if this is confirmed, i will be fucking devastated

Me too.

Fulham went backwards last year in the league. if we are basing an appointment on success in a piss poor euro comp in which half the teams arent arsed fielding full teams then why didnt we at least try and get the manager who won it ?

A competition that neither Moyes nor O'Neill have even got close to winning no matter how many sides haven't fielded their strongest line up.

And no, I ain't basing the appointment on that. As I've said I think it's insane to have some like Dalglish at the club, wanting the job and giving it to someone else. What I am saying on the appointment is that it makes perfect sense as to the direction of the club under these owners.

if torres and SG go and with RH's inability to get results away from home, added to the disruption at home games through the inevitable protests then top HALF of the table could be beyond us

I honestly couldn't care less about this season as long as these owners fuck off. The longer they are here the worse it's gonna get and the harder it'll be to recover from that. Players come and go so anyone who doesn't wanna be here, for whatever reason, can do.

We are still Liverpool Football Club though, and that name does carry some weight with players.

despite all the rumours i have convinced myself RH was a smokescreen for a big name or a takeover -- if this is confirmed, i will be fucking devastated

I think it was highly delusional to think that we'd be able to attract a decent enough name given the conditions they'd have to work under and equally so to think we are even close to a takeover.

Incidentally I also think it's highly delusional to believe Hodgson is gonna get a starting transfer kitty or 100% of what he sells.

i disagree it means no take over soon, okay it means no takeover immediatley but if he is on a short term deal its shows more signs of someone on a long deal

What makes you assume a short term deal? Whats his incentive in agreeing a short term deal? I doubt he would leave Fulham and al the adulation that goes with it for a short term deal. Wheres the ambition in that?

If he comes I hope he will be able to develop a good relationship with us. He needs to know he has our support. If there is such a negative outlook towards him like it seems there is now, that is going to make job even harder than it already undoubtedly is. I really hope he can be successful here.