You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Pissing myself at that, are you bladdered mate?

"Labour councils are well known for not spending on infrastructure projects and giving all the money to their comrades."

"Do you know of any that have?"

"No."

Police forces run by women are well known for having officers with well-ironed pants.

Imagine if it was the other way around; one of us saying something about Lib Dems. Ton. Of. Bricks.

I do remember the Lib Dems taking control of Liverpool, cutting staff levels by a third, and seeing service quality rocket. But I'm not going to go and spend hours researching Labour councils of the 80s and 90s in order to provide some background to a tangential point. The main point was that, rightly or wrongly, that was why PFI was brought in in the first place.

A constitution for British soviets. Points for a communist programme - Sylvia Pankhurst

tags:

UK

Sylvia Pankhurst

Workers Dreadnought

workers councils

Pankhurst outlines her vision of how a system of soviets might be applied to Britain.

The capitalist system must be completely overthrown and replaced by the common ownership and workers' control of the land, the industries of all kinds and all means of production and distribution.

Parliament must be abolished and replaced by a system of Soviets formed by delegates from the industries, the homes, the regiments and the ships.

All Soviet delegates may be changed at anytime. They must be instructed by and report to those whom they represent. No person may take part in any Soviet, or may vote for or be elected as a Soviet delegate who lives, or attempts to live on accumulated wealth, by private trading, or the labour of others whom he or she employs for private gain.

Household Soviets

In order that mothers and those who are organisers of the family life of the community may be adequately represented, and may take their due part in the management of society, a system of household Soviets shall be built up.

Urban areas

Every urban district shall be divided into Household Soviet areas, each of which shall include, as nearly as possible, 250 people.

The women members of these families who are over 20 years of age, and who are mothers and housekeepers shall form the Household Soviet for the area. (...)

The Household Soviet shall meet weekly. It may be called together in the interim for urgent business by the delegates.

The Household Soviet shall make rules for its own guidance, and instruct its delegates upon the following matters:-

Furnishings, repairs and decorations required for the houses within its area.

The settlement of additional families or individuals in vacant or partially occupied premises in its area.

The prevention of overcrowding in its area.

Supplies of food and clothing for the inhabitants of its area. Efficiency of the water supply, lighting, fuel, cleaning and sanitation, removal of refuse, window cleaning, etc.

Bathing and laundry facilities. Co-operative housekeeping. Children's nurseries. Provision for nursing for the sick.

Midwifery and care of pregnant and nursing mothers and all questions affecting mothers, infants, and family matters generally. All public or political questions affecting the women who form the Household Soviet of the Area.

The Household Soviet shall elect a delegate to the Household Soviet of the district. (...)

Household Soviets of towns

District or Sub-District Household Soviets which form part of towns with a population of over 50,000, shall send to the Household Soviet of that town one delegate for every twenty Soviet Areas. Thus to the Manchester and Salford Soviet the various sub-districts would send altogether 207 delegates.

The Household Soviets of towns shall appoint delegates to the Town Soviets. (... )

[There follows the organisation necessary to create Household Soviets in rural areas.]

Industrial Soviets

The workers in each industry shall prepare and adopt a scheme for the administration of the industry, both locally and nationally, by the workers in the industry, and this scheme shall be submitted for ratification by the National Council of Soviets.

In each industry the following general lines shall be followed:-

In each workshop shall be formed a Workers' Committee, or Soviet composed of all the workers in the shop, of both sexes, and of all grades. A committee of delegates from each workshop, and as far as may be necessary, from each craft and technical branch, shall be formed in the factory. Foremen and managers shall be appointed by vote of the workers in the factory, and on the advice of the District, Town, Regional, or National Council for the industry.

District Soviets, and, where necessary, Sub-District Soviets, shall be formed for the industry, and the workers in each factory shall send delegates to the District or Sub-District Soviet.

Regional Soviets and National Soviets shall also be formed for each industry.

The District Soviet for each industry shall be represented on the general Soviet of the district, the various industrial Regional Soviets will be represented on the general Regional Soviet and the National Councils of the industries will be represented on the National Council of Soviets.

National Regional and District Economic Councils, composed of delegates from the various industries and from the general Soviets will be formed in order to co- ordinate the various industrial functions and to overlook questions of distribution and supply. The workers in the distributive trades, into which will be absorbed both the present co-operative employees and the employees of private firms, will, however, undertake the main work of distribution. These workers will have their Soviets like the workers in other industries.

Public Health Soviets

All persons connected with the care of the sick, surgeons, medical practitioners, nurses, and so on, will form their own industrial Soviets;

Soviets of public health shall be formed consisting of one half delegates of the medical and surgical workers, one-half delegates from the general local Soviet. Public Health Councils will be formed for districts and groups of districts, towns, with a population of over 50,000, regions and counties, and also a National Council.

Educational Soviets

Soviets for the schools, colleges, universities, and other educational institutions will be created. Each educational institution will have its Teachers' Soviet and its Pupils' Soviet. Each school for children under sixteen years of age will also hold meetings of parents and teachers, and will elect a council composed of teachers' and parents' representatives, with one representative of the District Soviet and one representative of the District Educational Soviet.

In schools for children between sixteen and eighteen years of age the pupils may send a representative to the School Council, and in schools and colleges for pupils between eighteen and twenty the pupils shall appoint one- fourth of the Council, the parents, shall appoint one- fourth and the teachers half; an appropriate number of expert representatives shall be appointed by the District Educational Soviet. (...)

[soviets for the Army, Sailors and Seamen, and Agricultural Workers are similarly described.]

The Soviets

The Soviets, which are the central organs of social administration, the instrument of the proletarian dictatorship against capitalism, are built up from District or Sub-District Soviets of delegates from the Industries, the Home or Household Soviets, the Army and Naval Soviets, and so on.

The District Soviets shall be formed of one delegate for every Industrial Soviet in the area, and from any Soviet of the Army, Navy, or Mercantile Marine that may be situated there, and an additional delegate for every 500 workers in the industry, one delegate for every 300 members of the Household Soviets, a delegate from the Educational Soviet for the district and one delegate from the District Teachers' Soviet, with an additional delegate for every 300 members of the Teachers' Soviet; also a delegate from the Public Health Soviet and one for every 300 members of the Medical and Surgical Workers' Soviet. The business of the Soviet is to be the co- ordinating link with all other committees, to create any new committees that may be required, and to put into effect the general political policy of the workers. (...)

National Council of Soviets

A National Council of Soviets shall be formed. Two-thirds of it shall consist of delegates from the Regional and County Soviets in the proportion of one delegate for every 100,000 of the population, and one-third shall consist of delegates from the National Council of Household Soviets, the National Economic Council, the National Soviets of the main groups of industries, the National Agricultural Council and the National Council of Household Soviets, Public Health and Education. (A similar Council shall be formed for Scotland if so desired.) The National Council of Soviets shall meet every three months and sit as long as may be necessary.

The National Council of Soviets shall elect an executive committee of 300 persons which shall carry out the directions of the National Council of Soviets and appoint the presidents of the National Councils of Household, Industrial Public Health, Education, Army, Navy, and so on.

It shall also elect the secretaries of such additional national departments as may be necessary -- for instance, foreign affairs. An executive committee shall be appointed by the National Executive Committee to work with such secretaries.

The presidents and secretaries of the National Departments shall together form a committee of Peoples' Commissaries. Their president shall be chosen by the National Executive Committee.

I do remember the Lib Dems taking control of Liverpool, cutting staff levels by a third, and seeing service quality rocket. But I'm not going to go and spend hours researching Labour councils of the 80s and 90s in order to provide some background to a tangential point. The main point was that, rightly or wrongly, that was why PFI was brought in in the first place.

What quality?

Serious question mate but what does 'more quality' mean?

I'm guessing you mean cheaper and because the contracts generally get awarded to outsde contractors.

Also,surely all councils get most of their funding from central government so they should take some of that credit or flak.

Labour Liverpool was known literally the world over though as being a crackpot council for years, hardly representative of 'Labour councils'.

I don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of everything they've ever done, if that's what you're asking. I thought it was a relatively uncontroversial point. They always spend more money employing people than the other parties do.

Really? What bastards aye. Paying people for providing services instead of kicking them on the dole to claim welfare. That is economic lunacy.

Thank God we have now got a Government who will follow a credible plan, a plan that will make the economy grow. A plan that will create jobs in the private sector for those sacked in the public sector.

Oh.....:wallbutt:

Really? What bastards aye. Paying people for providing services instead of kicking them on the dole to claim welfare. That is economic lunacy.

It is lunacy if you prioritise keeping people in employment over quality of service. Hiring lots of people doesn't always mean a quality service, as successive Labour councils in Liverpool demonstrated.

I find this to be one of the common flaws of the left. Too often they see the public sector as a method of keeping unemployment down when the priority should always be providing a quality service to the taxpayer.

It is lunacy if you prioritise keeping people in employment over quality of service. Hiring lots of people doesn't always mean a quality service, as successive Labour councils in Liverpool demonstrated.

I find this to be one of the common flaws of the left. Too often they see the public sector as a method of keeping unemployment down when the priority should always be providing a quality service to the taxpayer.

I don't understand how it's lunacy myself. Making thousands of people redundant because the profits are not as big as last year, now that's redundancy and the Britain and world that Reagan and Thatcher proposed and started building.

The public sector should be about quality service to the taxpayer, but it never will be because the Private sector has its fat fingers in that pie too. It's all about maximum profit for minimal outlay, and therein lies the problem.

The priority should always be jobs as it has a positive knock on effect to everything else.

More money to spend stimulates the economy and creates more jobs and more people in jobs keep crime down and make it safer to get on with life.

As long as services have to be accountable to somebody and provide a good baseline service then thats fine by me.

Standard & Poor's upgrades itself

17-01-12

CREDIT rating agency Standard & Poor's has upgraded itself to Triple-A Plus Super Fantastic.

The new rating means the agency gets the best table at The Ivy, can jump any queue at Alton Towers and gets Sky HD with all the sport and movie channels at the introductory price forever.

S&P analyst Wayne Hayes said: "It's about time the superb work done by this first-class - actually, better than first-class, what can we invent that's above it? - financial institution was recognised with a string of letters.

"Our upgrade means I can requisition models direct from the Paris catwalk, take home one painting from the National Gallery per visit, and snort Peruvian flake off a policeman's riot shield without fear of arrest. It is awesome."

Hayes added: "Nobody outside S&P could understand or indeed be allowed to examine our rating criteria, but let me assure you they're 100 per cent accurate. In fact, make that 150 per cent.

"Critics have pointed to our high ratings of the securitised credit instruments which caused the global financial crash as a serious mistake which calls our credibility into question, but actually we've downgraded that to a trivial mistake which had no bearing on the credit crunch.

"The privileges of S&P's credit rating, which as of right now include a 12-inch cybernetic penis, infinite lives and the Batmobile, must be earned with a programme of austerity.

"Dance for us, you whores."

Rival credit agency Moody's immediately downgraded S&P's rating to triple-Z minus in a bucket of guts.

All they did was find away around. Ill be honesr I did well at gcses but the teachers in many subjects had been to seminars and knew which questions were gonna be asked.

The tory plan is to outlaw the seminars, let grades fall, cry to high heaven with media in tow, use it as an excuse to push in more academy statuses against popular resistance, finally with a few withering public funded state responsible and accountable schools left finalise privatisation of academy schools.

You know I shit knowledge for the children.

Either way the tories are not for turning.

As I was saying:

Education watchdog Ofsted wants to toughen the language of inspections in England - changing the "satisfactory" rating to "requires improvement".

Ofsted's chief inspector, Sir Michael Wilshaw, wants to send a message that "satisfactory" is now unsatisfactory and that more schools should be pushing for the higher rating of "good".

This is the latest attempt to improve schools which are seen as "coasting".

The National Union of Teachers criticised such labels as "insulting".

But Prime Minister David Cameron said: "This is not some small bureaucratic change. It marks a massive shift in attitude. I don't want the word 'satisfactory' to exist in our education system. 'Just good enough' is frankly not good enough."

Sir Michael wants to see more schools progressing beyond the current category of "satisfactory", with the change in description intended to emphasise that these schools need to make improvements.

At present, inspectors can judge schools to be "inadequate", "satisfactory", "good" or "outstanding". Subject to consultation, the satisfactory grade will become "requires improvement".

'Coasting' schools

Schools will only be allowed to stay at the "requires improvement" level for three years - and there will be earlier re-inspections, after 12 to 18 months rather than three years, says Ofsted.

Continue reading the main story

“Start Quote

Of particular concern are the 3,000 schools educating a million children that have been 'satisfactory' two inspections in a row. This is not good enough”

Sir Michael Wilshaw Ofsted chief inspector

Sir Michael was speaking ahead of a Downing Street summit on so-called "coasting" schools - where performance, often in well-off areas, is not necessarily inadequate but has failed to impress.

"There are too many coasting schools not providing an acceptable standard of education," says Sir Michael.

"Of particular concern are the 3,000 schools educating a million children that have been 'satisfactory' two inspections in a row.

"This is not good enough. That is why I am determined to look again at the judgements we award, not only so we are accurately reporting what we see, but so that those schools that most need help are identified and can properly begin the process of improvement.

"I make no apology for making even greater demands of an education system which has to respond with greater urgency to increasingly difficult and competitive economic circumstances."

Prime Minister David Cameron, who hosted the summit, said: "To those who say that this will alienate some schools, I say we've got to stop making excuses and start doing what is best for our children: demanding excellence and confronting complacency wherever we find it."

'Derogatory'

But teachers' unions criticised the changes - with the NUT claiming that the re-labelled category would be used as a way of pressuring more schools into becoming academies.

The seemingly tough talk we have heard from the government today, may have popular appeal but the reality is that it has nothing to do with raising standards”

Chris Keates NASUWT teachers' union

"First we had 'underperforming' schools, now we have 'coasting' schools. Labelling schools in this way is derogatory and insulting to pupils, teachers, school leaders and governors," said NUT leader, Christine Blower.

"The government's real agenda behind this change is of course inventing yet another category of schools that it will then seek to force into academy status."

Chris Keates, head of the NASUWT teachers' union, attacked the proposals as "another crude ruse to enable the secretary of state to push more schools into the hands of profit making, private companies".

"The seemingly tough talk we have heard from the government today, may have popular appeal but the reality is that it has nothing to do with raising standards," she said.

"Instead, it is about ratcheting up pressure on schools, without providing the support and resources they need to assist them in securing further improvements.

"This announcement will encourage a culture of vicious management practices within schools which will have a profoundly negative effect on the workforce and children and young people alike."

Labour's shadow education secretary, Stephen Twigg, said coasting schools "need more than just a new label" and criticised the removal of routine inspections of outstanding schools.

"Outstanding schools can quickly slip back, so this measure could undermine confidence in the system and mean parents only get out of date information."

The change to the "satisfactory" category was welcomed by the RSA think tank, which warned about such schools "performing inconsistently".

"What needs to be addressed in particular is the variable quality of teaching. We need to find ways to incentivise the best teachers to join these schools and new ways of helping schools to improve," said the RSA's director of education, Becky Francis.

But head teachers warned that when it came to inconsistency it was Ofsted that needed to get "its own house in order".

"Inspections are too often at the whim of inspectors with little experience in the field they are inspecting and who have already made up their minds before they enter the school," said Russell Hobby, general secretary of the NAHT head teachers' union.

"Heads feel the results can be the luck of the draw. If inspections are getting more severe, then they need to be more consistent and of higher quality or there will be no justice in the findings."

It seems the Tory PR machine is thinking up new names to call schools that are 'underperforming' in their opinion.

But the injection of private cash that they want will go to all the better off state and independent schools instead of the places they are needed like major towns and cities with high unemployment.

They are still spraying shite gold it seems.

"Because while PFI is okay in principle"

No, no its not. Its like saying paying extra for anything with no sane reason to do so is ok in principle, why would anyone want to do that?

Because that's how 'credit' works: PFI is basically borrowing from the private sector and repaying over a longer period rather than swelling the public debt burden from the outset. I'm not defending PFI, bit in its simplest form it got the government out of a hole when funding capital projects. Things went awry when Labour went and spent PFI cash as if it was someone else's credit card. It was - our children's.

Because that's how 'credit' works: PFI is basically borrowing from the private sector and repaying over a longer period rather than swelling the public debt burden from the outset. I'm not defending PFI, bit in its simplest form it got the government out of a hole when funding capital projects. Things went awry when Labour went and spent PFI cash as if it was someone else's credit card. It was - our children's.

Thats what it did do though, it doubled the cost of everything. Naturally as you'd expect if you brought in someone who wanted to make money out of it.

Which is what is was designed to do.

Barclays to support new free schools and academies

By Angela Harrison Education correspondent, BBC News

pupil Critics says free schools and new academies are breaking up the education system in England

Related Stories

Free school £21m private firm bid

First free school gets go-ahead

Barclays Bank is to lend its support to England's new academies and free schools.

The bank will offer £1m to groups that want to set up free schools and invest £15m in money management courses.

It will also offer work experience to 3,000 pupils aged 16 to 18 from academies and free schools, and encourage staff to become governors.

The National Union of Teachers accused the government of "opening up schools to the market place".

A total of 24 free schools opened in September last year and 71 are due to open from this September.

Academies and free schools are key parts of changes the coalition government has brought in.

They are state-funded but with more freedom over the curriculum and teachers' pay and conditions than other schools.

The government wants all schools to become academies, which stand aside from local authority control.

Free schools can be set up by groups including charities, businesses, parents and religious bodies.

But critics opposed to free schools and the expansion of academies say this will lead to a two-tier system and the break-up of the state education system.

Money management

Barclays plans to expand money management courses already running in some schools over three years at a cost of £15m.

It will also offer free banking to new free schools and academies, to help get them off the ground.

Groups wanting to set up free schools could also be eligible for an average of £5,000 in grants out of a £1.25m fund to help pay for research and planning, Barclays says.

The chief executive of Barclays retail and business banking, Antony Jenkins, said: "It's a sizeable commitment.

"Barclays is supporting free schools and academies because we want to boost financial skills for young people."

He added: "We really do believe in the power of education to create social mobility, to create powerful effects in people's lives and to create economic growth, which of course is important to us as a bank."

Mr Jenkins said it was important to give children real work experience, not just "tidying up the photocopying room and making coffee for people" and those coming to Barclays would get that - and experience what it was like in the world of work.

Education Secretary Michael Gove announced the link-up at an academy in central London, saying it would help underprivileged children because free schools were mainly being set up in poorer communities.

"I'm delighted that Barclays have read the new educational landscape so clearly and decided to make a real difference," he said.

"Thanks to this commitment and generous package, students, teachers and governors will benefit enormously."

Describing Barclays as one of "Britain's most impressive and responsible companies", Mr Gove said it would be the "leader of the pack" but he expected other companies to be "pitching in to help in the fantastic work being done in state education".

'Wrong'

NUT general secretary Christine Blower said: "Children and young people should not be influenced at an impressionable age by whichever large company manages to gain a foothold in their school.

"This is, of course, Michael Gove's vision for the future of education in this country. It is extraordinarily flawed and will most certainly result in a two-tier system.

"Any successful business's involvement in a school will surely be decided on what returns they can reap for themselves.

"While becoming a golden goose for big business, Michael Gove's academies and free schools policy is utterly undermining the principle of a fair education for all".

Asked if Barclays was concerned about supporting the academies and free schools programmes when they had attracted strong criticism from teaching unions and others, Mr Jenkins said: "Barclays is a non-political organisation.

"We are happy to support this initiative - we think it is going to have a lot of impact - but it is not the only thing we are doing in the educational space by any means."

Banks wanted to brainwash children and lecture them on how to spend their money?

You couldnt make this shit up.

World Bank warns of 'very difficult year'

Bi-annual report slashes growth projections and predicts a downturn in 2012 that "no country and no region will escape".

The World Bank has warned the international community to brace for slow growth and economic challenges in 2012 stemming partly from Europe's debt woes.

The bank substantially cut its forecasts for growth in both developed and poorer nations in its twice-yearly report, issued late on Tuesday.

"Europe appears to have entered recession, and growth in several major developing countries [brazil, India and to a

lesser extent Russia, South Africa and Turkey] has slowed," the bank said as it updated forecasts made last June.

It predicted the global economy will expand by 2.5 per cent in 2012 and by 3.1 per cent in 2013, well behind the 3.6 per cent growth for each year that the bank had projected in June.

The US economy will also suffer from slower global growth, the report said, though not by as much as developing countries.

"The world is very different than it was six months ago," said Andrew Burns, head of the bank's global economics team and lead author of the report. "This is going to be a very difficult year."

Sobering assessment

The report noted two major reasons for the projected global slowdown: Europe's debt crisis has worsened and several big developing countries have taken steps to prevent growth from overheating and fueling inflation.

Developing countries' economies will continue to out pace those of richer, developed countries, but the World Bank also

lowered its forecasts for growth in these countries to 5.4 per cent in 2012 and six per cent in 2013.

That was down from previous estimates of 6.2 per cent and 6.3 per cent respectively for growth in developing countries.

"The downturn in Europe and weaker growth in developing countries raises the risk that the two developments reinforce

one another, resulting in an even weaker outcome," it said.

It also cited failure so far to resolve high debts and deficits in Japan and the US and slow growth in other high-income countries, and cautioned those could trigger sudden shocks.

On top of that, political tensions in the Middle East and North Africa could disrupt oil supplies and add another blow to

global prospects, the World Bank said in a sobering assessment of the challenges facing the economy.

'Global crisis'

It said that while Europe was moving toward a long-term solution to its debt problems, markets remain skittish.

"While contained for the moment, the risk of a much broader freezing up of capital markets and a global crisis similar in

magnitude to the Lehman crisis remains," the World Bank said, referring to the US investment bank that went bankrupt in 2008 and helped intensify a global financial crisis.

Against that backdrop, it said developing countries were even more vulnerable than they were in 2008 because they could

find themselves facing reduced capital flows and softer trade.

In addition, many developing countries have weaker finances and would not be able to respond to a new crisis as vigorously.

The World Bank pointed out that since last August risk aversion to Europe has shot up and "changed the game" for

developing countries that have seen their borrowing costs escalate sharply and the flow of capital to them decrease.

"No country and no region will escape the consequences of a serious downturn," the World Bank said, adding that now was the time for developing countries to plan how to soften the impact of a potential deep crisis.

Just summat to lighten the mood.