You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US shows recommendations

You've seen 'A Proportional Response' and thought it was lame? It's probably not going to be for you, Elvis!

I can see that, in fairness, I was underwhelmed when I started watching it, too. When you're not familiar with Sorkin's style, or have yet to establish an affinity with the characters, the American exceptionalism and self-righteous grandstanding can be very nauseating. They start to tone that down, the writing gets better and it becomes one of the outstanding shows of all time.

I would say from around the time Lord John Marbury arrives, or maybe when they nominate their Supreme court justice, it goes on an upward trajectory, peaking at the end of season two with the finest episode of TV I've ever seen.

I can see that, in fairness, I was underwhelmed when I started watching it, too. When you're not familiar with Sorkin's style, or have yet to establish an affinity with the characters, the American exceptionalism and self-righteous grandstanding can be very nauseating. They start to tone that down, the writing gets better and it becomes one of the outstanding shows of all time.

I would say from around the time Lord John Marbury arrives, or maybe when they nominate their Supreme court justice, it goes on an upward trajectory, peaking at the end of season two with the finest episode of TV I've ever seen.

Fair enough , like I said I haven't given up yet.

I have been eyeing up the league and my scouting reports have been all favourable. Just need someone to honestly say they've seen it and it's ace, so I can get started tonight.

No one has confirmed it's bossness but if you haven't already started it then do so.

Rather odd I thought Jericho was a great series and it did run for two or three seasons as well.

Each to their own , but for me the acting and the script are both totally unbelievable . Those 2 convicts who bumped the coppers off in the 2nd show are so poor it's ridiculous.

Do you like any show ever, Elvis?

Ha , yeah I like loads ,

The Wire

Sopranos

curb

Hell on wheels

frasier

Boss

Rescue me

Entourage

The Shield

Modern Family

1st Series of Homeland

And lots more that I 've forgotten , the problem is I've watched all the best ones and trawling through the GF list trying to find any hidden gems that i may have missed is tough work.

Rather odd I thought Jericho was a great series and it did run for two or three seasons as well.

I watched it earlier in the year and I was extremely close to putting it down, I thought it was generic and poorly acted, but at the end of episode 7 something quite surprising happens and it kicks in immensely from there. Really enjoyed it from there onwards and I don't think there was a bad episode after that.

I watched it earlier in the year and I was extremely close to putting it down, I thought it was generic and poorly acted, but at the end of episode 7 something quite surprising happens and it kicks in immensely from there. Really enjoyed it from there onwards and I don't think there was a bad episode after that.

Great , now I have to watch another 5 episodes or I'll never know !

Great , now I have to watch another 5 episodes or I'll never know !

Back on page 7, comes with a link to the thread, which contains more praise. It's really good.

Speaking of post-apocalyptic shows, I've been watching Jericho recently, which is about a small town in Kansas after a nuclear terrorist attack essentially wipes out the federal government. Ropey in the first 6 episodes, but the last 7 or so have been class. People struggling with resources, concept of law & order and traditional power structures - all that good shit.

There's a thread about it on here mate, it's fucking class, real burried treasure.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/gf-general-forum/60118-jericho.html

Robert Hawkins is an awesome character.

NV, it's HBO - no chance it'll be shit!

Gonna give this a watch later:

Mockingbird Lane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mockingbird Lane is a re-imagining of the 1960s CBS sitcom The Munsters that was developed for NBC by Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller. The pilot episode aired on October 26, 2012, as a Halloween special, with the option for a series order.

Starring

Jerry O'Connell as Herman Munster is apparently a made monster, something his father-in-law likes to rub in. His making is helped along by Grandpa. Unlike the previous Herman, this Herman is actually very intelligent but has a sensitive heart, emotionally. He loves all his family and to much lesser extent even his father-in-law. Because he loves his family so much, he has a heart condition.

Portia de Rossi as Lily Munster is the kind, charming, and lovely matriarch of the Munster family. Unlike her father, Lily tries not to attack or manipulate humans. She loves her family very much and only wants them safe.

Charity Wakefield as Marilyn Munster who is the normal looking one of her family. Her family constantly give her a hard time on her decision to look and act normal. Her mother at one point tried to eat her because of her appearance, but Grandpa talked her out of it. She's somewhat adjusted to her family's odd ways and tries to keep a happy demeanor.

Mason Cook as Eddie Munster did not know he was a werewolf, until puberty set in and 'incidents' started to happen. He is very adjusted to his family's lifestyle. He's recently been told what he is and isn't happy that he's a werewolf. To make him feel better, his parents got him Spot the dragon, as a pet.

Eddie Izzard as Grandpa (Sam Dracula) who often likes to act like head of the family. He enjoys making wise cracks at Herman's expense. This version of Grandpa is much darker than his previous incarnation as he doesn't mind killing in front of his own grandson and plots things behind the family's back.

Where can I find this please SA- I am new to the whole streaming malarky.