You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dive Balls

rubble-rouser

I had the misfortune of listening to TALKshite on Monday and Adrian Durham was defending Rooney’s dive at the weekend he said that N,gog and Eduardo should be ashamed of them selves but Rooney is excusable because apparently he rode the first challenge and dived at the second chance (when no contact made).

If this is the mentality of are media/journos take then no wonder the English players go down easily as they don’t get vilified for it. Eduardo’s dive was months ago yet they are still talking about it as an example.

Gerrard does need put diving out of his game, I don’t mind if a player goes down if there is contact like Johnson at the weekend could have easily gone down and got a pen. The reason I believe this is acceptable is the opposing player has clearly missed the ball and made contact whether he goes down or not its contact and it’s a foul. Diving is when there’s no contact at all like Rooney or N’gog and there does need to be something done about it. I do believe that at the weekend refs were told prior to games to book for diving as if you watched all games about 4-5 players got booked for diving, including Bellamy when contact was made.

The ref then got vilified for making a mistake by giving Bellamy a second yellow but Rooney gets of with it??

Something needs to be done and fast if it means some players getting a yellow by mistake then im sure it could be rescinded after the game.

I'm probably just an arlarse over this, but I detest our players diving at any time.

I tend to expect it from players of other teams, but I just don't like the idea of ours cheating.

It could be stopped if referees were tougher when they saw a player diving, but they are as inconsistent with this as with anything else.

the diving does my head in - but until the FA/UEFA/FIFA clamp down on it, the players will carry on doing it and they'll do it because they think others are doing it and that gives them an edge. it doesn't as when you're found out, it starts to become harder to win the big decision (such as the pen incident on sunday) and you probably end up getting less out of it in the long run. for every dive gerrard does, he must have half a dozen fouls on him that the ref deems were dives and give him nothing.

personally i think they should use video evidence after the game, when it's clear cut a player has dived, give them a 3 game ban. if they do it again, give them 6. diving would be finished in no time in the main, just as the tackle from behind on the halfway line to stop an attack and the professional foul quickly disapeared (or at least became about a 10th of what they were) as soon as they became red card offences.

the diving does my head in - but until the FA/UEFA/FIFA clamp down on it, the players will carry on doing it and they'll do it because they think others are doing it and that gives them an edge. it doesn't as when you're found out, it starts to become harder to win the big decision (such as the pen incident on sunday) and you probably end up getting less out of it in the long run. for every dive gerrard does, he must have half a dozen fouls on him that the ref deems were dives and give him nothing.

personally i think they should use video evidence after the game, when it's clear cut a player has dived, give them a 3 game ban. if they do it again, give them 6. diving would be finished in no time in the main, just as the tackle from behind on the halfway line to stop an attack and the professional foul quickly disapeared (or at least became about a 10th of what they were) as soon as they became red card offences.

Couldnt agree more. I know people wil say but thats not football you didnt have this in the 80s etc but football has moved on its starting to become a joke.

Big feck off hardmen in rugby are scared to talk back to the refs where in football some 16 yr old weed is calling them for everything.

Agree with all that. But the other side of the coin is that the refs have to have the balls to give a penalty for a foul even if the player stays on his feet. You get nothing for a foul in the area which has reduced your chance of scoring unless you fall over.

Agree with all that. But the other side of the coin is that the refs have to have the balls to give a penalty for a foul even if the player stays on his feet. You get nothing for a foul in the area which has reduced your chance of scoring unless you fall over.

I agree with that too. Said it for years, like the fowler/seaman incident years ago - a pen all day on a butty, doesn't matter if seaman doesn't touch him, it's just a pen. but again, it would be easier for refs to give those things if players helped a little and didn't role around like they'd been shot because some farted 4 yards away.