You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pepe Reina - The Legend!

WhiskeyJar

I Know i'm nitpicking here, but if there was one thing that pepe needs to get better at, its perfecting his full field sprint and goal celebration. we've been severely lacking in this department since bob left, and i think pepe needs to pick up the slack there.

he teased us when ngog scored against the mancs at anfield, so the potential is there....

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pepe Reina agrees new long-term Anfield deal

Mar 2 2010 by Dominic King, Liverpool Echo

Add a comment

Recommend

LIVERPOOL were today given a massive boost after Pepe Reina agreed a new long-term deal – now the club are hoping Javier Mascherano will follow suit.

Rafa Benitez has been desperate to get the future of his influential goalkeeper sorted out and he will be delighted that talks with Reina’s advisors have now reached a successful conclusion.

Signed from Villarreal in the summer of 2005, the Spanish international has been one of Benitez’s biggest success stories and is currently on course to win his fourth ‘Golden Gloves’ – the Premier League award for most clean sheets in a season.

There has never been any suggestion that Reina, 27, was looking to move away from Anfield – on more than one occasion he has reiterated his commitment to the club – but Benitez wanted him to have a deal that recognised his standing.

That is now the case and once Reina returns back to Merseyside following Spain’s friendly with France tomorrow night, the formalities of putting pen-to-paper on the contract that will take him through to the end of 2014/15 campaign.

Despite working under strict financial constraints, Benitez is attempting to safeguard the club’s long-term future and in the past 12 months he has tied up Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard, Dirk Kuyt, Yossi Benayoun and Daniel Agger.

Reina will soon be added to that list and the hope is that Mascherano – who has been a target for Barcelona – will do likewise and agree a contract a new two-year extension to end the speculation that has surrounded him.

Mascherano’s current deal expires in 2012 but Liverpool are hopeful that the terms being offered to Argentina’s captain will finally stave off Barcelona’s interest and keep him on Merseyside.

Benitez has been endeavouring to lay lasting foundations and a clear sign of that came at the weekend when Academy Director Frank McParland and Pep Seguera secured the signing of the highly-rated 15-year-old Raheem Sterling from QPR.

Get in lad

Kevin D speaks and so shall it be.

Kevin D speaks and so shall it be.

Ha. A little worried about the implications for our transfer budget - you'd have to imagine Pepe is on upwards of 90k a week and rightfully so - but this is fantastic news. He's had another brilliant season and been a supreme signing - I'd love him to see out his career here.

Guest PurpleNose
I'd love him to see out his career here.

Me too. But I think he'll end his career at Atletico, and I'd have no problem with that. As long as its in about 6/7 years.

Pepe Reina agrees new long-term Anfield deal

Mar 2 2010 by Dominic King, Liverpool Echo

Add a comment

Recommend

LIVERPOOL were today given a massive boost after Pepe Reina agreed a new long-term deal – now the club are hoping Javier Mascherano will follow suit.

Rafa Benitez has been desperate to get the future of his influential goalkeeper sorted out and he will be delighted that talks with Reina’s advisors have now reached a successful conclusion.

Signed from Villarreal in the summer of 2005, the Spanish international has been one of Benitez’s biggest success stories and is currently on course to win his fourth ‘Golden Gloves’ – the Premier League award for most clean sheets in a season.

There has never been any suggestion that Reina, 27, was looking to move away from Anfield – on more than one occasion he has reiterated his commitment to the club – but Benitez wanted him to have a deal that recognised his standing.

That is now the case and once Reina returns back to Merseyside following Spain’s friendly with France tomorrow night, the formalities of putting pen-to-paper on the contract that will take him through to the end of 2014/15 campaign.

Despite working under strict financial constraints, Benitez is attempting to safeguard the club’s long-term future and in the past 12 months he has tied up Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard, Dirk Kuyt, Yossi Benayoun and Daniel Agger.

Reina will soon be added to that list and the hope is that Mascherano – who has been a target for Barcelona – will do likewise and agree a contract a new two-year extension to end the speculation that has surrounded him.

Mascherano’s current deal expires in 2012 but Liverpool are hopeful that the terms being offered to Argentina’s captain will finally stave off Barcelona’s interest and keep him on Merseyside.

Benitez has been endeavouring to lay lasting foundations and a clear sign of that came at the weekend when Academy Director Frank McParland and Pep Seguera secured the signing of the highly-rated 15-year-old Raheem Sterling from QPR.

Get in lad

That surprises me given our season so far.

Very happy.

That surprises me given our season so far.

Very happy.

Without looking too deeply into it, assuming VDS, Cech, Reina and Almunia have played all of their teams PL games this season, the current standings are:

VDS + Pepe: 12

Cech + Almunia: 10

Edit: Actually BBC and Wikipedia are saying VDS has only had 11 league appearances this season so Pepe must be in the lead.

Without looking too deeply into it, assuming VDS, Cech, Reina and Almunia have played all of their teams PL games this season, the current standings are:

VDS + Pepe: 12

Cech + Almunia: 10

Edit: Actually BBC and Wikipedia are saying VDS has only had 11 league appearances this season so Pepe must be in the lead.

Yeh, very surprised at that. Very good though.

Best keeper we've had since Clemence.

Credit to Rafa for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Reina: My title desire - Liverpool FC

Pepe Reina has revealed how a burning desire to help Liverpool land the Barclays Premier League title made a decision to commit his future to the club an easy one.

The custodian, who confirmed on Wednesday he is close to agreeing a new deal with the Reds, is optimistic the experience of a difficult 2009-10 campaign can help Rafael Benitez's side in the long run.

And Reina admits he would love nothing more than to lead Liverpool to a 19th league title.

"The club has been good to me and I am grateful," said the Spain stopper. "My family believe there is no better place to be than here and that's why we'll be here a bit longer - much longer.

"There is nothing I feel more excited about than the chance of winning the league once with Liverpool. That would be a dream and hopefully in a short period it will come true.

"I hope we will build something good from the weak moments we have had this season.

"A proper team, a strong team has to do that and Liverpool is a strong team."

Liverpool will aim to keep their hopes of securing silverware this season alive when they cross swords with Lille at Anfield tonight.

The Reds must overturn a 1-0 first leg deficit if they're to progress into the quarter finals of the Europa League - and Reina insists there is a collective determination amongst the squad to bring the trophy to Anfield.

He added: "This is the only trophy we can lift and it is massively important to us. Winning a trophy is always good, no matter how your season has been.

"We know this season hasn't been good enough and we can do better. Everybody knows that. But as long as we have the possibility to win a trophy, that is the main thing. The target was to fight for the title but right from the beginning we did not do well."

-----------------------------------------------

Boss: Pepe an example - Liverpool FC

Rafael Benitez has spoken of his delight at Pepe Reina's decision to commit his future to Liverpool - and lauded the goalkeeper as an example to his teammates.

Reina confirmed on Wednesday he is close to agreeing a new deal with the Reds, and the boss is thrilled with the show of loyalty from his stopper.

"Pepe's very happy, his family is very happy and he is settled," said Benitez. "He's a great character, loves the fans, they love him, so everything's good for him.

"It is important to show that commitment and it's an example for everyone. Maybe it will be an example for the rest of the players for the future. You can see every day how much he loves being here.

Meanwhile, Benitez wants Liverpool to pull together and focus on trying to ensure a successful conclusion to the campaign.

"The expectations were really high at the beginning of the season," he continued. "When we didn't win a few games there were a few comments.

"There was a bit of uncertainty and also the confidence of the players was affected, but that is something we have to manage. My motivation is to win trophies. I want to be contenders in every competition, so we have to stay together to bring the best out of everyone. We have an important game to prepare for, and then have to do the same for another crucial one on Sunday."

Pepe Reina is flying the flag for loyalty after signing new contract at Liverpool

An improved contract worth some £80,000 a week may have had some influence, but Pepe Reina's main motivation for committing his future to Anfield stems from more modest origins.

The Liverpool keeper confirmed yesterday he is about to sign a four-year contract extension that will keep him at the club another six years.

It is a remarkable show of faith in Liverpool's future, given the uncertainty on and off the pitch, but he had little difficulty explaining why he is staying.

Banners and flags are a familiar sight on the Kop, but a new one caught the eye against Portsmouth last Monday, as a wheelchair-bound fan proudly unfurled an image of Reina after paying £200 for it.

'I didn't see the flag, but I have been told about it,' said Reina. 'I am grateful we have fans like that and it is the sort of thing that made it easy for me to stay here.

'When I think of that lad and what he did, it makes me feel really proud and really lucky. It is always important to have people behind you and when there is a flag with your name or face on it, and it is clear someone has put themselves out to do it, then it is special.

'I don't see it as a sacrifice, signing for so long, and it doesn't make any difference to me if some people are saying I could have had my pick of clubs across Europe. I have talked it through with my wife and we don't see any better place to go. It is personal as well as professional. The education of my child is another factor and I feel it would be brilliant for my kids to grow up speaking two languages.

'I want them to speak English as well as Spanish and if it turns out to be with a Scouse accent, I will still be proud of them!

'From a professional point of view, Liverpool are one of the best clubs in the world. Whether we are in the Champions League or the Europa League, it is still Liverpool.'

Reina spoke up for dressing room unity, after morale was questioned at Wigan a fortnight ago, and insisted Liverpool are in the mood to dent Manchester United's title aspirations tomorrow.

'Results have been bad this season, but I can assure you there are no problems in the dressing room,' he said.

Pepe Reina is flying the flag for loyalty after signing new contract at Liverpool | Mail Online

fucking love the man.

I'm hungover and therefore slightly more soft than usual, but that last Pepe interview literally brought a tear to my eye. I love the man and I look forward to the day, be it in 5 or 50 years, where I meet him and can thank him for being a red. He's everything that's still right about football.

Still flaps at crosses, though, the Spanish clown.

Guest davelfc

As other have said, he represents everything that's good about this club. Already a legend in my eyes and I've seen some legends in my time.