You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Birds (the animals)

Steve Holt

1 hour ago, Poor Scouser T said:

I stay in Scotand part of the year and there are crows and ravens by the 1000. Never ever seen a magpie. Come to Liverpool and there are 100's of them.

Magpies are sky rats, they’re the urban fox that flies. Far to clever for their own good and have moved into suburban and town areas for the easy pickings.

They’re now on the vermin list due to amongst other things, the damage they are doing to the song bird populations.

Bullied by crows and ravens in the sticks, role reversal and the crows gang up with the smarter magpies to be there muscle when mobbing wood pigeons and doves off their nest for the eggs.

they’ll shred long tail it’s nests, gold finches, black birds, song thrushes, wrens, the whole gambit. 

I regularly have my own private cull by mine with my PCP rifle. 
I’m a across between Bill Oddie and God. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 06/02/2023 at 18:41, Poor Scouser T said:

I stay in Scotand part of the year and there are crows and ravens by the 1000. Never ever seen a magpie. Come to Liverpool and there are 100's of them.

There's loads of magpies around me (central Scotland). They mobbed another bird in our garden a while back, and tore it to pieces. Nasty little buggers. We get the odd bird of prey like a falcon from time to time as well.

Had a weekend away in Wales with with Mrs TheBitch last week and on the way home happened upon the Dyfi Osprey project just outside of Machynlleth, it was about £6 to get in and was fantastic value. 

Loads of reed beds with warblers and buntings on the way to the viewing area with about 5 scopes set up all indoors, about 6 superb quality cameras set up on the nest (which I believe is actually called an eyrie) so you could watch the TV’s if you wanted.

There we’re a couple of magpies hounding the nest after a fish that was in with the chicks, it was great viewing. 

I took a dodgy picture through the scope with the male on the post top left with a freshly caught fish that was still alive for a good 5-10 mins gasping for air, mum is in the nest with the chicks and a magpie is waiting with diabolical intent on the post, but looks like a pied wagtail in comparison with the Osprey. 

They’ve also reintroduced beavers there but because they are mainly nocturnal you don’t see them but there is a screen with recorded footage of them. 

I had a lovely coffee and some cake in the cafe too while watching birds on the feeder outside. One of which was a Siskin that I’ve never seen before. 

If you’re a nerd like me then it’s well worth a visit, Mrs TB is a fully converted nerd now too. 

4F4CF1E0-7131-4212-9AC8-09A3265FB0DE.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/07/2023 at 13:07, TheBitch said:

Had a weekend away in Wales with with Mrs TheBitch last week and on the way home happened upon the Dyfi Osprey project just outside of Machynlleth, it was about £6 to get in and was fantastic value. 

Loads of reed beds with warblers and buntings on the way to the viewing area with about 5 scopes set up all indoors, about 6 superb quality cameras set up on the nest (which I believe is actually called an eyrie) so you could watch the TV’s if you wanted.

There we’re a couple of magpies hounding the nest after a fish that was in with the chicks, it was great viewing. 

I took a dodgy picture through the scope with the male on the post top left with a freshly caught fish that was still alive for a good 5-10 mins gasping for air, mum is in the nest with the chicks and a magpie is waiting with diabolical intent on the post, but looks like a pied wagtail in comparison with the Osprey. 

They’ve also reintroduced beavers there but because they are mainly nocturnal you don’t see them but there is a screen with recorded footage of them. 

I had a lovely coffee and some cake in the cafe too while watching birds on the feeder outside. One of which was a Siskin that I’ve never seen before. 

If you’re a nerd like me then it’s well worth a visit, Mrs TB is a fully converted nerd now too. 

4F4CF1E0-7131-4212-9AC8-09A3265FB0DE.jpeg

Somehow Mrs TheBitch doesn’t sound quite as endearing as other posters’ other halves.

Norfolk’s where it’s at 

• 5 months later...