You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wayne Rooney - player of the season

ReddOrDedd

He's a striker, and the English media would have you believe he's the most awesome destructive force in world football, when in actual fact he carries no more of a goal threat than a Dirk Kuyt (at best), which, considering his obvious all round ability is pretty shit.

Sorry to come over all statted-up, but the facts don't support that view:

Rooney has had five season at The Mancs and scored 17, 19, 23, 18, 20 goals respectively. Dirk has got 14, 11 and 15 in his three seasons for us. So over the three comparable seasons, Rooney has bagged 21 more goals, although both players have been used out of position.

As I said, I expect Rooney to become more prolific this season if he's consistently played in his best position.

This footballing force of nature has never scored more than 16 league goals in a season and went 18 months without a Champions League goal, despite having played in arguably the most creative side in the premiership. Robbie Fowler was destroyed by the media for going a handful of games without a goal shortly before he fucked his knee, but with Rooney it seems he's 'about much more than goals' and if you can't see that then you're some kind of football savage.

If I was watching England, I'd be more hopeful of Owen coming on and scoring with 20 minutes to go than I would watching Rooney for 90, which is a pretty sad commentary.

EDIT: Paul I don't doubt it mate, the comparison was somewhat tongue in cheek!

I totally disagree with that. The incident you're referring to was when he lost the ball, then came charging back into our own channel to win it back, ending up being straddled across his back by one of their players (I forget who, possibly Robben). In my view, that was an example of the tenacity for which he's so admired. Of course it sometimes boils over into petulance or violence, and I often slate him for that, but he has fire in his play, which is very important. I'm not saying I'd want him to play for us, but anyone who doesn't recognise his talent is a blinkered bellend. Behind Gerrard he's the most important player for England.

The point is, we can hate him all we like, but I for one love to see him play for England and hate to see him play for United, because he's a dangerous, fat-headed crab-ridden Shrek monster.

Going back to the original point of the post, I fear this could be a great season for him. I hope I'm wrong.

Tell me, who gives a fuck?

Is he a Striker or a Defender?

Sure he has 'tenacity' and can run around like a pitbull, but that doesn't score you goals and will rarely win you big games.

Ask Barcelona, or us. Iv rarely been scared of the twat when hes played us.

As you said, he lost the ball, being a bellend trying to take the team on all by himself, because he believes the hype. He isnt Ronaldo, however much everybody wills him to be.

Hes good but hes not as good as you, or the rest of the country thinks he is.

Rooney has had five season at The Mancs and scored 17, 19, 23, 18, 20 goals respectively. Dirk has got 14, 11 and 15 in his three seasons for us. So over the three comparable seasons, Rooney has bagged 21 more goals, although both players have been used out of position.

As I said, I expect Rooney to become more prolific this season if he's consistently played in his best position.

I don't think he's quite lived up to his early promise largely because he's lost a bit of the natural pace he had as a teenager which is hardly surprising if you look at his body shape.

I'm not at all sure that striker is his best position which is why he's regularly pushed out wide - he scores his goals in bursts, usually when the mancs are ripping someone to pieces and is a wasteful finisher.

I've always thought he could end up in midfield as he gets older and more experienced. I think he could be devastating there. The prick.

Just to provide a different statistical take on it. Rooney needs 10 chances for every goal he scores and when he shoots his accuracy is about 36%. Dirk needs 8.5 chances and his accuracy is 40%.

One of them is obviously getting into attacking positions more.

I don't think he's quite lived up to his early promise largely because he's lost a bit of the natural pace he had as a teenager which is hardly surprising if you look at his body shape.

I'm not at all sure that striker is his best position which is why he's regularly pushed out wide - he scores his goals in bursts, usually when the mancs are ripping someone to pieces and is a wasteful finisher.

I've always thought he could end up in midfield as he gets older and more experienced. I think he could be devastating there. The prick.

He's a strange one. I see what you're saying but you could end up with a Paul Scholes situation (without the natural goalscorer bit) in that he'd be getting 'stuck in' left right and centre with all the subtlety of Linford Christie's sack.

He's got a bit of everything Rooney, he's the ultimate 'diamond in the rough', the problem is though - for him at least - is that he's still rough, and getting rougher.

I rate Rooney as a really good team player, he'll play anywhere and gives it everything even if it's a lost cause. He may not be the 'genius' that our Manc adoring media make out but he's pretty good. He is one ugly cunt, though. And, just because he's a former Bitter who joined the biggest shit factory in the world, I hope his tart gives birth to a girl and it's fucking ringer for its dad.

So what though? Seriously? That's the kind of thing Ince used to do for us in the 85th minute to cover up the fact he was shite for most of the match. Tracking back and making the odd 'fist in the air' tackle doesn't impress me much, especially when it's coming from a forward.

He's a striker, and the English media would have you believe he's the most awesome destructive force in world football, when in actual fact he carries no more of a goal threat than a Dirk Kuyt (at best), which, considering his obvious all round ability is pretty shit.

In the absence of an out and out goal threat I'd expect some kind of creative spark or incisive passing, which I've only seen rarely from the fat head. He's not progressed as a player since he was a teenager IMO, and certainly not deserving of his 'first name on the teamsheet' status.

true

Tracking back and making the odd 'fist in the air' tackle doesn't impress me much, especially when it's coming from a forward.

I'm with Shania Twain on this one.

In all seriousness, Rooney doesn't score anywhere near enough goals and spends too much time dropping into midfield as he always wants to be involved. That isn't a bad thing, but like Gerrard had to, he needs to start channeling his energy into the right areas - like the penalty area, not the half way line.

It isn't just because he's sometimes played out of position - there was an interesting piece in the Times a few months back which showed he'd played more games as a figurehead striker than he had done playing out in the wider positions last season. But I think he has a tendency to try and do too much and then when it doesn't work for him the animal inside him starts to come out.

The absence of Ronaldo should give him a chance to step up and make a name for himself as their big name but he needs to mature a lot more as a player.

In all seriousness, Rooney doesn't score anywhere near enough goals and spends too much time dropping into midfield as he always wants to be involved. That isn't a bad thing, but like Gerrard had to, he needs to start channeling his energy into the right areas - like the penalty area, not the half way line.

It isn't just because he's sometimes played out of position - there was an interesting piece in the Times a few months back which showed he'd played more games as a figurehead striker than he had done playing out in the wider positions last season. But I think he has a tendency to try and do too much and then when it doesn't work for him the animal inside him starts to come out.

The absence of Ronaldo should give him a chance to step up and make a name for himself as their big name but he needs to mature a lot more as a player.

Yep. Because he's so hyped they have to think of reasons why he isn't dominating games and getting loads of goals.

The out of position thing is thier excuse..

Ferguson is usually boss at getting the best out of his players, which makes me wonder if he knows Rooney simply isn't capable of being a major goalscorer. Maybe he thought he could be when he bought him, but now he thinks his strength and close control is best used as an attacking midfielder.

He hasn't got that killer edge though, he just hasn't got it. When you watch someone like Torres it's Fowler-esque, he knows where everyone is in the box, he knows where the goal is, he knows how to time his runs. Other players have got it to a lesser extent, Fowler obviously, Owen, Scholes, even Luis Garcia had it IMO, but Rooney just hasn't.

Alot of Utd fans feel ferguson has ruined rooney for constantly playing him out of position and sticking him on the flanks. With ronaldo gone this could be the season where he is played in his proper postion as a central striker.

However if you look at his career which is now 6 seasons old, his goals per game ratio does not warrant the love fest that surrounds Rooney. Yeah hes good but hes no Torres when it comes to being a goalscorer.

And hes a prick.