You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

If you keep mascherano and have to sell xabi you can play gerrard next to him against any team in the world in a 442 and come out on top. If you sell him and play xabi next to gerrard then against the very top teams I think it lacks a bit of bite.

Just for the record by the way it was reported on the radio before that xabi will go to Madrid once we have signed Johnson and then we'll make other signings. Really hope that doesn't happen.

If it does I think going to 442 with gerrard dropping back would be easier than replacing xabi. I know it means moving gerrard and I think he's sensational in that role and wouldn't want to break up the partnership but it may be easier to find a forward this summer than a decent midfielder.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sami's gradual move from centre stage over the last few years has been a big loss in that regard - Carra and Skrtel offer nothing in terms of goalscoring from set pieces.

Even Agger's goals tend come from his own invention rather than from the end of a free-kick or corner.

All the more reason for Gerrard to never take corners, he's one of our few aerial threats left.

Skrtel has done it on the international scene quite a lot, but hasn't managed a goal off a corner for us.

Is this down to the standard of defending on the premiership or our poor corners?

Skrtel has done it on the international scene quite a lot, but hasn't managed a goal off a corner for us.

Is this down to the standard of defending on the premiership or our poor corners?

Have you seen the goals? I saw a couple and neither were headers.

If you keep mascherano and have to sell xabi you can play gerrard next to him against any team in the world in a 442 and come out on top. If you sell him and play xabi next to gerrard then against the very top teams I think it lacks a bit of bite.

Just for the record by the way it was reported on the radio before that xabi will go to Madrid once we have signed Johnson and then we'll make other signings. Really hope that doesn't happen.

Which station?

Which station?

Talksport, Neil Ashton and Graham Hunter merely hypothosising the transfer merry go round. Hopefully they're as wide of the mark as many would have you believe with the derision that they recieve.

Graham Hunter and Ballague mapped the current Real Madrid dealings out to perfection on the revista programme. They called Kaka, Ronaldo and the Villa Albiol deal and in that order. Xabi was next if memory serves but they maintained the Xabi deal wasthe hardest due to Xabi's contract and the fact we don't want to sell.

Time will tell but hopefully all our targets are secured without any major departures

Talksport, Neil Ashton and Graham Hunter merely hypothosising the transfer merry go round. Hopefully they're as wide of the mark as many would have you believe with the derision that they recieve.

Graham Hunter and Ballague mapped the current Real Madrid dealings out to perfection on the revista programme. They called Kaka, Ronaldo and the Villa Albiol deal and in that order. Xabi was next if memory serves but they maintained the Xabi deal wasthe hardest due to Xabi's contract and the fact we don't want to sell.

Time will tell but hopefully all our targets are secured without any major departures

I dont want Xabi to go as I dont think theres a player within reason that can replace him, but if he says he wants to go theres nothing we can do. if thats the case Robben horseface and £15m is what we should ask for, I guarntee you we'll get it.

In an Ideal world, apparently Rafa only has £10m according to Graham Hunter, so the £10m plus whatever is owed for crouch gets us Johnson. Dossena £6m, Arebeloa £6/7m should be enough to get us Robben. The hobbs, anderson, whatever other reserves we sell should get us horceface, them 3 and hold onto what we have and 11/4 in the bookies is looking very good.

fuck it, only getting aguero could allow me to stomach xabi leaving

I'd love a last minute big fuck you to Real and a swap for Eto'o with Barca. We'd have another goal machine in our side and Xabi would be with a club he'd probably prefer. The only downside would be that Barca's midfield would then be nigh on invincible in next seasons CL.

I should probably stop yapping on about Samuel now anyway, I just think he's immense.

I've really warmed to Glen Johnson over the last couple of months or so and I feel that he has the potential to make a difference against tightly packed defences.

I think he has to improve defensively but I don't think he's any worse than Arbeloa in that sense so overall he would be an improvement, IMO.

I'm concerned about the price, if it is indeed £15M as I said a few weeks back that I wouldn't go above £10M for him. Unfortunately though, the transfer market is being a bit inflated as far as fees are concerned so it's about the going rate for England's first choice right back.

As long as we supplement the signing with a top attacking player (from a wide starting position) then i'm all for it.

I've really warmed to Glen Johnson over the last couple of months or so and I feel that he has the potential to make a difference against tightly packed defences.

I think he has to improve defensively but I don't think he's any worse than Arbeloa in that sense so overall he would be an improvement, IMO.

I'm concerned about the price, if it is indeed £15M as I said a few weeks back that I wouldn't go above £10M for him. Unfortunately though, the transfer market is being a bit inflated as far as fees are concerned so it's about the going rate for England's first choice right back.

As long as we supplement the signing with a top attacking player (from a wide starting position) then i'm all for it.

For me Johnson and Silva would improve us a lot, or at least in theory they should.

If we can keep the spine of the team and add those two, I would be happy. I realistically think a few more arrivals and departures will happen but as far as our first eleven is concerned, the two above would improve us and that is all we need.

The final piece aHHHHHHHHHHHH.

For me Johnson and Silva would improve us a lot, or at least in theory they should.

If we can keep the spine of the team and add those two, I would be happy. I realistically think a few more arrivals and departures will happen but as far as our first eleven is concerned, the two above would improve us and that is all we need.

The final piece aHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I'd be happy with those two, although I do think we need another striker because N'Gog is far from the finished article and Kuyt is poor up front alone.

I'd be happy with those two, although I do think we need another striker because N'Gog is far from the finished article and Kuyt is poor up front alone.

I think we will defo bring one in, not a big money player but a RVN, Owen type. Not a big outlay but an option with a bit of class.

Our budget dictates we do this.

Chelsea to miss out as Real Madrid close in on David Villa - Telegraph

The move will take Real's spending to around £170 million just two weeks into Perez's second term as president. The construction magnate is believed to have set aside around £250 million to rebuild Real's side, with Villa's Valencia team-mates Raul Albiol and David Silva likely to follow. Perez has been quoted £40 million for the Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso and is likely to try to offer Rafa Benitez an exchange to bring that price down.

While Gabriel Heinze, Negredo, Javier Saviola and Arjen Robben have all been mentioned as possible swaps, Benitez may ask for the youth team striker Alberto Bueno or midfielder Ruben De La Red, a long-term target, instead, although he is loath to part with the midfielder.

Chelsea to miss out as Real Madrid close in on David Villa - Telegraph

The move will take Real's spending to around £170 million just two weeks into Perez's second term as president. The construction magnate is believed to have set aside around £250 million to rebuild Real's side, with Villa's Valencia team-mates Raul Albiol and David Silva likely to follow. Perez has been quoted £40 million for the Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso and is likely to try to offer Rafa Benitez an exchange to bring that price down.

While Gabriel Heinze, Negredo, Javier Saviola and Arjen Robben have all been mentioned as possible swaps, Benitez may ask for the youth team striker Alberto Bueno or midfielder Ruben De La Red, a long-term target, instead, although he is loath to part with the midfielder.

We really need to sign De La Red purely for the name.