You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

18 hours ago, Strontium said:

Kenneth Funston's PhD thesis on the ethnic cleansing of Protestants from Fermanagh is an extremely thorough piece of research on an under-examined aspect of the Troubles.

https://pure.ulster.ac.uk/en/studentTheses/border-protestants-and-republican-violence

I've not read all of it, but from Chapter 6 I think it's more accurate to refer to "alleged ethnic cleansing", than simply to state it as a fact.

There were some horrendous atrocities committed over a sustained period: acts of terrorism aimed at driving Unionists/Protestants away from the border area, leaving the IRA to operate freely there.  And that's why the claims of "ethnic cleansing"  are debatable in this instance.  From that thesis, it seems clear that displacing people was a tactic; not an objective (as in clearer cases of ethnic cleansing, suffered by Rohingya, Palestinians, Bosnians, etc.)

3 hours ago, Strontium said:

I mean, it's a PhD thesis on the ethnic cleansing of Protestants from Fermanagh. Maybe you can email the good doctor and ask him why he hasn't covered things beyond his remit.

It's a thesis on "Border Protestants and Republican Violence".  Providing context for that should be very much within his remit.

9 hours ago, Carradona said:

Still waiting for an answer to this, @Strontium? Or even you, @A Red, since you seemed to like the thesis?

Or has it all gone a little quiet over there in the Unionist, poppy-shagging corner?

I was merely pointing out that ethnic cleansing happened on both sides, north and south, well reported on one (rightly so) not so much on the other.

Not sure why you keep on with the poppy shagging comments 

55 minutes ago, A Red said:

I was merely pointing out that ethnic cleansing happened on both sides, north and south, well reported on one (rightly so) not so much on the other.

Not sure why you keep on with the poppy shagging comments 

I'll stop with the poppy remarks whenever British Army scumbags stop making the news for being involved with loyalist paramilitaries. 

8 minutes ago, Carradona said:

I'll stop with the poppy remarks whenever British Army scumbags stop making the news for being involved with loyalist paramilitaries. 

British Army - poppy shaggers - Fermanagh - remembrance parade

This stuff doesn't move things on really.

21 hours ago, Strontium said:

Imagine negging someone for highlighting ethnic cleansing. Imagine being that much of a meritless oxygen thief.

If someone repped a post promoting ethnic cleansing, would they also be considered a meritless oxygen thief?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jennings said:

If someone repped a post promoting ethnic cleansing, would they also be considered a meritless oxygen thief?

We've been over this, repping a post in no ways signifies any kind of agreement with said post.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

No mention of a bunch of psychos arming kids with petrol bombs up in Derry the other day then? Strange that. 

Yeah, gang of little idiots being bellends. Did you mention anything when the other lot burnt that bus out when the driver was scrambling to get out? I’ll have a look back. If you did then fair enough. 

On 29/03/2024 at 22:01, Strontium said:

Well, no, because I've not told any lies. If I'd told any lies, you'd be able to highlight at least one of them.

You're negging me because I posted a truth that was uncomfortable for you, because you are a sectarian bigot, and so is Bjornebye for that matter.

The fact you seem to think I'm a "Unionist" proves that you haven't got the first fucking clue about anything.

I love a liar digging a hole 

22 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah, gang of little idiots being bellends. Did you mention anything when the other lot burnt that bus out when the driver was scrambling to get out? I’ll have a look back. If you did then fair enough. 

I can confirm that I didn't mention it because I don't even know what you're talking about. While you're looking though, let me know if anybody else mentioned it. 

1 hour ago, The Golden Eel said:

No mention of a bunch of psychos arming kids with petrol bombs up in Derry the other day then? Strange that. 

What a peculiar instinct: instead of just posting a link to the story, you'd rather try some weird accusatory shit about people who, like you, haven't posted anything about it.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

I can confirm that I didn't mention it because I don't even know what you're talking about. While you're looking though, let me know if anybody else mentioned it. 

Yeah a few people did. Hope that’s ok