You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The return of Sammy Lee

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

woohoo - I passed on this news a couple of months ago, and turns out it was true. Well done me!

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/57980-will-pako-return.html#post1032670

I see everyone ignored your post too mate...oh ye of little faith!

Course, this wants to become confirmed news in the next couple of days or I'm blaming you exclusively.

LIVERPOOL are in talks with Sammy Lee about becoming Rafa Benitez's assistant manager.

Reds chief executive Rick Parry met with former Bolton boss Lee yesterday and further talks were scheduled for today – with both parties hopeful an agreement will be reached imminently.

Benitez moved to bring Lee back to Anfield as soon as first team coach Alex Miller handed in his notice and quit the club to take the manager’s job at Japanese side JEF United Chiba.

The move has now been approved by club owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, who recognised Benitez has been without a number two since the departure of Pako Ayesteran last August.

Should the latest round of talks with Lee progress without any hitches, the former Reds midfielder will be appointed to the club’s coaching staff for the second time in his career.

The 49-year-old became reserve team manager in 1993 before progressing through the ranks and becoming first team coach under Gerard Houllier in 1999.

He left the club he supported as a boy to take up a position with the England national team in 2004 before being made Bolton manager in 2007.

However, he survived just 14 games at the Reebok and has been out of the game since then.

But he is now on the verge of making an emotional return to Anfield as Benitez bids to beef up his backroom staff ahead of next season.

Meanwhile, Benitez does not intend to allow the summer break to get in the way of his planning for the forthcoming campaign.

The Reds boss insists he will continue his planning and squad rebuilding even when on holiday with his wife and family.

“I don’t tend to have too much time away from football, but I will try to switch off for a bit,” he said. “I will have to try to hide my mobile phone, and if my wife can't find out about it I’ll try and keep it on me.

“But if she finds it I’m sure she’ll throw it in the swimming pool.”

Liverpool in talks with Sammy Lee over return to Anfield - Liverpool Echo.co.uk

SammyLee.jpg

"Hi, this is Rick Parry. I can't answer my phone right now as I am doing something dead important. Something Chief Executivey. If you call is regarding bookings for childrens parties, please leave your name and number and I'll get right back to you."

Made up with this news. It will be good for the players to have someone to speak to about any issues they may have. A bubbly and enthusiastic character around the place can't be a bad thing at all and the fact that he's a local fella is good too. He's fluent with the Spanish which is great too!

Welcome back Sammy, lad!

Made up with this news. It will be good for the players to have someone to speak to about any issues they may have. A bubbly and enthusiastic character around the place can't be a bad thing at all and the fact that he's a local fella is good too. He's fluent with the Spanish which is great too!

Welcome back Sammy, lad!

Absolutely. Local lad, very good coach, knows the place inside out, can speak properly with the spanish lads and is an all-round fucking nice bloke to complement Rafa's tactical brain.

Worth a few league points on its own, this news.

Rafa Benitez: 'Sammy Lee return great for Liverpool FC'

May 16 2008 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

Sammy Lee

RAFA BENITEZ today welcomed Sammy Lee back to Anfield - citing his passion and experience as factors in appointing him as his new assistant.

Lee will take up his new position as Benitez's number two with immediate effect, having been confirmed in the role last night.

The former Reds midfielder was Benitez's number one choice to join his management team from the moment first team coach Alex Miller announced he was quitting the club to work in Japan.

And having successfully concluded talks with chief executive Rick Parry, Lee's first task in his new role was to help oversee the last training session of the season at Melwood today.

Benitez is delighted that the deal to bring back one of Anfield's favourite sons has been completed so quickly and is now looking to build up a good working relationship with his new number two.

He said: "We are very pleased to have brought Sammy back to Liverpool because he is someone who knows the club really well.

"He also knows about the passion of the club and about the standards that we set here so that will make it much easier for him to settle into his new role.

"But we have not brought Sammy back simply because he used to play for the club and used to work here as a coach.

"He is a very experienced and very well respected coach in his own right and his reputation in football made him the stand out candidate when we knew we were looking for a new member of our coaching staff.

"He will add something different to what we already have and it will be good to work with him.

"I already have a good relationship with him and I will be looking to build on that in the weeks and months to come."

Meanwhile, Liverpool have no interest in bringing Florent Malouda to Anfield.

Speculation has surfaced in the last 24 hours suggesting the Reds will make a £10m offer for the Chelsea man. But Malouda does not feature on Benitez's wanted list.