You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Immigration

Section_31

No idea but I think Clegg and Farage would probably be getting divorced. Sarkozy wouldn't be allowed in. And I'm not sure how it would stand on Jewish immigrants whose German and Hungarian grandfathers were forced to work in support roles for the axis powers. Stephen Fry may have to answer a few awkward questions, as potentially would Matthew Freud

And my mate Steve Himmler would be buggered.

Meanwhile, Tory peer and donor,Lord Wolfson, oversees Next's seasonal job recruitment campaign by advertisings 500 Next jobs in Poland three weeks before advertising them in the UK. This after recruiting 7000 Polish staff.

Support controls on immigration with one hand. Offer jobs to immigrants on the other.

And the taxpayer has to subsidise his employees with tax credits due to the poverty pay Next gives them, this a business that made £695m profit last year and paid Lord Wolfson £4.6m.

Tax payers having to top up the pay of poorly paid workers through the welfare state in the form of tax credits is one of the biggest scandals going. I understand some small businesses only being able to pay their employees the minimum wage, some of them operate with very small profits and fly by the seat of their pants, but the fact the taxpayer has to bung a few quid to the employees of businesses like Next, Asda, Tesco, Serco, Stagecoach etc is an absolute disgrace. All so these businesses can maximise profits and appease shareholders.

There ought to be two levels of minimum wage, one for SMEs and another for businesses with 1000 employees or more, and that one should be the living wage. Who knows if that was implemented it may even save some of the money shelled out on welfare each year and help pay off this deficit caused by bailing out those cunts the banks.

This country desperately needs a revolution.

• Upvote 2

You need a revolution to amend minimum wage rules? Seems like overkill to me.

I see lots of people and some of the media up in arms regarding welfare, some very mean spirited stuff about supporting people who are out of work, but I very rarely see any comment on the fact the taxpayer is subsidising big business with these tax credit top ups. Besides, it is only one instance of many of today's politicians and big business being cahoots to fuck the average person over, if politicians won't listen, maybe a revolution will make them sit up and notice. Anything that stops this current status quo.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Evil fucking cunts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32816454

Police would be able to seize the wages of illegal workers as proceeds of crime under government plans to be set out in next week's Queen's Speech.

PM David Cameron will say on Thursday that it has become "too easy" for migrants not entitled to be in the country to exploit loopholes.

Working illegally in the UK will also become a criminal offence as part of the proposed crackdown.

Labour said not enough was being done to protect the country's borders.

At the moment, firms can be fined up to £20,000 for employing illegal workers.

In future, ministers want anyone who has entered the UK illegally or overstayed their visas to be liable to face prosecution if they seek work, and to have their pay confiscated.

The proposal forms part of what the prime minister will say is a "tougher but fairer" approach to immigration that will be adopted by the Conservative government.

However, the scale of the challenge facing ministers in reducing levels of legal immigration will be highlighted again on Thursday when the latest official figures on net migration are published.

'Control and reduce'

Net migration rose to 298,000 in the year to September 2014, well above the levels anticipated by the Conservatives - who set a goal before the 2010 election of reducing numbers to less than 100,000, a target they acknowledge they have failed to meet.

Mr Cameron will see first-hand efforts to combat illegal immigration on Thursday when he visits a premises in London shortly after it has been raided by immigration officials.

He will say the government is determined to "control and reduce" immigration, saying criminalising illegal workers must go hand-in-hand with other measures to lower demand for migrant labour, such as boosting the skills of UK workers.

The government says depriving illegal migrants of their wages will make it harder for them to remain in the UK.

The new criminal offence of illegal working will apply to migrants who have entered the country illegally and also those who came to the country legally but are in breach of their conditions or have overstayed.

At the moment, migrants with current leave to remain who are working illegally in breach of their conditions may be prosecuted and are liable, if convicted, to a six months' custodial sentence and-or an unlimited fine.

But migrants who entered the UK illegally or have overstayed their leave are not subject to the same sanctions, and the police do not have the same powers of confiscation in all cases.

'Less attractive'

Mr Cameron will say that "making Britain a less attractive place to come and work illegally" is a crucial part of a fair immigration policy - adding that a "strong country is one that controls immigration... not one that pulls up the drawbridge".

"The truth is it has been too easy to work illegally and employ illegal workers here," he will say in a speech in London.

"So we'll take a radical step - we'll make illegal working a criminal offence in its own right.

"That means wages paid to illegal migrants will be seized as proceeds of crime… and businesses will be told when their workers' visas expire… So if you're involved in illegal working - employer or employee - you're breaking the law."

Among other measures set to feature in a forthcoming Immigration Bill, the "deport first, appeal later" principle will be extended to all non-asylum cases, there will be new powers for councils to deal with unscrupulous landlords and to evict illegal migrants more quickly, while all foreign criminals awaiting deportation will be fitted with satellite tracking tags.

It will also become an offence for businesses and recruitment agencies to hire abroad without first advertising in the UK - a policy which featured prominently in Labour's election manifesto.

'Tackling exploitation'

Ministers say the package builds on the progress made over the past five years but critics say the Conservatives' tough rhetoric has not been matched by action on the ground, either in tackling illegal immigration or curbing legal immigration.

Labour welcomed the action but said it did not go far enough.

"A lot of this will look very familiar to anyone who read Labour's manifesto," shadow immigration minister David Hanson said.

"After five years of opposing action to tackle exploitation, which can affect wages and act as a driver for low-skilled labour, the prime minister is now offering policies he said were unnecessary, such as banning agencies from only recruiting from abroad.

"It is clear the measures outlined here will not be sufficient to tackle exploitation. There needs to be a clear offence of exploitation that undercuts local jobs and wages, which the police and other experts have called for."

Figures published in February showed that not only is net migration 50,000 higher than when Mr Cameron came to power, but even non-EU migration - which ministers had claimed to have brought under control - has been increasing rapidly.

.... y'know, just in case exploitative employers, landlords, people smugglers, etc. didn't have enough power over people.

On a side note, maybe I owe Stronts an apology - that evil bastard Theresa May was just on the BBC describing this racist thuggery as something the Tories were "unable to do in Coalition".

I'm trying to work out what possible good can come from confiscating their earnings.

Mind you, I find myself trying that with most tory policies.

I'd imagine it's supposed to be a deterrent, it's virtually impossible to stop someone getting in so the best option might be making them not want to anyway. Remember these are illegal immigrants, anyone following the correct process isn't affected - and fuck knows we need immigration to grow.

I heard today that net immigration is at a new high of around 300,000. Fuck that is a lot. Thats almost a Liverpool every year.

Not getting into the immigration debate but that surely must put strain on public services, which are being cut, wether you agree with it or not.

It does not effect me one jot where I live but I can imagine it causes serious issues in some small southern towns.

Sure it puts a strain on public services, but that is offset by the billions of pounds worth of extra economic activity generated by those immigrants.

If government is failing in its duty to use that extra revenue to meet increasing demand for services - well, that's the inefficiency of the state bureaucracy for you. Red tape is not the fault of immigrants.

• Upvote 4

Sure it puts a strain on public services, but that is offset by the billions of pounds worth of extra economic activity generated by those immigrants.

If government is failing in its duty to use that extra revenue to meet increasing demand for services - well, that's the inefficiency of the state bureaucracy for you. Red tape is not the fault of immigrants.

Never for one minute said is was the immigrants fault or that they do not provide economic vibrancy. I suggested that without investment or services are going to struggle.

.... y'know, just in case exploitative employers, landlords, people smugglers, etc. didn't have enough power over people.

On a side note, maybe I owe Stronts an apology - that evil bastard Theresa May was just on the BBC describing this racist thuggery as something the Tories were "unable to do in Coalition".

Ha, he was the first person I thought of when I heard her spout that bull shit. What an utter cretin she is. 

I'd imagine it's supposed to be a deterrent, it's virtually impossible to stop someone getting in so the best option might be making them not want to anyway. Remember these are illegal immigrants, anyone following the correct process isn't affected - and fuck knows we need immigration to grow.

Will it shit. How are they going to confiscate these wages? The only illegal immigrants they're going to 'catch' are the ones that came here legally and outstayed their visa. So those vital service providers and people in high position jobs, they're really going to confiscate their wages? Bollocks are they. We probably need them more than they need us. 

It's all a bit of lip service for the ignorant slightly racist middle englanders. 

• Upvote 1

Ha, he was the first person I thought of when I heard her spout that bull shit. What an utter cretin she is. 

Will it shit. How are they going to confiscate these wages? The only illegal immigrants they're going to 'catch' are the ones that came here legally and outstayed their visa. So those vital service providers and people in high position jobs, they're really going to confiscate their wages? Bollocks are they. We probably need them more than they need us. 

It's all a bit of lip service for the ignorant slightly racist middle englanders.

Am I missing something here? It's a policy aimed at putting people off ever getting here, if it's never used in anger in reality what's the problem? If you overstay you're illegal, isn't this the Aussie model we all think works so well. Once again, I'm not anti immigration, I'm fully aware we'd be fucked without it. There was a really interesting piece on C4 news I think last week whereby they showed that most immigrants are actually over qualified for roles they take, then after a while when their skills become apparent they move quickly up the ladder and start to earn a lot more (and of course pay more taxes). It made me realise why PooScouser hates them.

Am I missing something here? It's a policy aimed at putting people off ever getting here, if it's never used in anger in reality what's the problem? If you overstay you're illegal, isn't this the Aussie model we all think works so well. Once again, I'm not anti immigration, I'm fully aware we'd be fucked without it. There was a really interesting piece on C4 news I think last week whereby they showed that most immigrants are actually over qualified for roles they take, then after a while when their skills become apparent they move quickly up the ladder and start to earn a lot more (and of course pay more taxes). It made me realise why PooScouser hates them.

Sorry my post probably came across quite rash. Apologies. 

I don't think it is a deterrent, maybe a hint at telling people to 'fuck off home' or we'll take your wages anyway. I do think it'll be used, but in the wrong places, or only where it's overwhelmingly in their favour. We're a country allegedly strapped for cash and we're happily taking money from the sick, the disabled, people already in poverty, why not migrants who don't have a hope of getting their funds back. They will go for the bog standard person who only came over for a year to work and may have let their visa expire. They won't go for that doctor they poached from Nigeria, or that nurse over from china, they'll just be reminded to renew their visa. They won't go for the girl living in the basement of a rich middle eastern oil tycoon either, she will be carrying on living and working like a slave with the constant threat of being shopped to the authorities and being deported, because for some extreme reason, that life is actually better than the one she came from. 

I hate this country sometimes. 

• Upvote 2

Agreed, to a point.  I don't think it's a question of red tape and inefficiency; services are being cut because the Tories are neoliberal extremists who are ideologically opposed to raising money through tax and spending it on essential services for people who didn't go to their school.

• Upvote 5

Plus we do have a bit of national debt to pay. That is not going away anytime soon.

Be nice to invest a bit for you know the British taxpayer. Not allowed to say that anymore are you.

Hahahahaha!  As if anyone in politics or the media ever says anything else!

Plus we do have a bit of national debt to pay. That is not going away anytime soon.

Be nice to invest a bit for you know the British taxpayer. Not allowed to say that anymore are you.

What you're really "not allowed to say" is that the national debt is not at unmanageable, crisis levels.  (Or, at least, it wasn't in 2010, when the Mad Axemen started cutting everything in sight.)  Or that "benefit tourism" and "health tourism" are fictions.

Or, the biggest taboo of all, that the fact that immigration is more possible than ever before (mainly due to political stability, peace, prosperity and advances in medical and transport technologies) is something that should be celebrated.

Dont particular recall any party advocating public spending during the election apart from Plaid and the SNP. Its cut cut cut.

Sorry, I misread - I thought you were saying your not allowed to talk about putting the interests of the British Taxpayer first.

(I haven't read your earlier posts, so I apologise if I've misconstrued stuff.)

• Upvote 1

http://newsthump.com/2015/05/21/well-get-to-tax-avoiders-after-weve-got-some-pennies-from-illegal-immigrants-insists-government/

The government has insisted it has every intention of getting to the millions of pounds of avoided tax, just as soon as it’s finished getting twenty quid here and there from illegal immigrants.

With planned new powers that would allow the government to seize wages from people working illegally, everyone asked why they can’t get new powers seize the wages of people not paying as much tax as they should.

A government spokesperson said, “I see what you’re getting at, and it might seem like our priorities are in the wrong place, but it’s really not as simple as us choosing to chase poor people rather than rich people.”

“For example, the people avoiding tax have accountants and lawyers and advisors – all of whom make it very difficult to get at their money – we can’t just knock on their door and demand it.”

“Plus, if you’ve been hassling someone to get at their money all week it’s quite hard to then look them in the eye at the country club at the weekend – and we’d rather avoid all that unpleasantness.”

“But, on the flip side, we can easily send a policeman round to empty the wallets of as many illegal immigrants as he can find – no problem at all.”

“An average policeman could maybe claw back a couple of hundred quid in one day, that’s got to be worth it, right?”

“See what I mean? Low hanging fruit and all that.”