You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

10 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I always thought it was pretty clear he was a quality actor, even back in Gilbert Grape and Basketball Diaries he was clearly properly committed to his performances.  Then in Quick and the Dead he was almost sending up his own persona for the next five years before it had even happened.  Thing is when it all took off for him it was so manufactured it obscured the quality of some of the films, the Beach and Romeo + Juliet in particular.

I was going to mention The Basketball Diaries, boss film.

35 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I like The Beach.

I do too and Romeo & Juliet. 

I don't think he is that good in The Beach himself though. That is one weird film that. I only watched it for the first time a few years ago (I'd always loved that All Saints soundtrack song) and was very surprised how dark it was. Robert Carlyle is a lunatic in it and the bit with the two Swedish lads getting bitten by sharks is seriously grim. 

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I do too and Romeo & Juliet. 

I don't think he is that good in The Beach himself though. That is one weird film that. I only watched it for the first time a few years ago (I'd always loved that All Saints soundtrack song) and was very surprised how dark it was. Robert Carlyle is a lunatic in it and the bit with the two Swedish lads getting bitten by sharks is seriously grim. 

The only thing about The Beach is that Tilda Swinton is bloody annoying, as she is in everything bar The Chronicles of Narnia. She was a decent White Witch, but not a patch on Barbara Kellerman in the 1980s BBC adaptation.

Never seen Romeo and Juliet, as I cant stand Shakespeare.

• Upvote 1

The Beach is easily in the top 5 worst films I've ever seen, absolutely shocking.

I made it about seven minutes into that Romeo & Juliet shite before I had to turn it off as well.

He was good in This Boy's Life though but I didn't see that until after I'd seen The Aviator or The Departed.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I don't think he is that good in The Beach himself though. 

Yeah, I mean his status kind of got in the way of the film Boyle was trying to make.  I think the intention was to subvert the idea of what a DiCaprio film was, but that aspect just doesn't land and the film would've been better with a lesser known main character thrown into the whole lord of the flies situation.

6 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

What are the other films?

Robocop 3

Anything Directed by Danny fucking

Boyle

What Dreams May Come

Beverley Hills Cop 3

Dirty Dancing

I can't watch anything with Adam Sandler or else his films would probably make up all five.

• Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

The only thing about The Beach is that Tilda Swinton is bloody annoying, as she is in everything bar The Chronicles of Narnia. She was a decent White Witch, but not a patch on Barbara Kellerman in the 1980s BBC adaptation.

Can't back you on the Shakespeare comment, but with you on the BBC version love.

Related image

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

Can't back you on the Shakespeare comment, but with you on the BBC version love.

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

Fucking hell, haven't thought about that version in years.  With the mad people in make-up playing all the animals... reminds me of the old Look and Read films from primary.

I have it on DVD - It’s ace

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I have it on DVD - It’s ace

Do you have Geordie Racer and Through the Dragons Eye on Scotch VHS?

really want to see it again now, shame those kind of productions don't really happen these days, unless it's Wes Anderson doing it deliberately.

15 minutes ago, Pidge said:

You monster.  Not even Millions?!

I've not seen that, I've seen five or six of his films down the years & won't be watching any more of them. I find his stuff absolutely soulless.

Even that Olympic ceremony thing he was involved with turned my stomach.

12 minutes ago, Pidge said:

really want to see it again now, shame those kind of productions don't really happen these days, unless it's Wes Anderson doing it deliberately.

Hahaha Geordie Racer. used to love the telly getting wheeled into class for a bit of that. Or Magic Magic Eeee. Which was ironic considering it was in about 1989. 

16 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Ha ha, no, but I do have The Box of Delights on DVD. The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe looks very dated now, but I still love it.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

I've not seen that, I've seen five or six of his films down the years & won't be watching any more of them. I find his stuff absolutely soulless.

Not liking Dirty Dancing or Beverly Hills Cop 3 is fucking soulless. I bet you were made-up when Uncle Dave got shot weren't you, you sick fuck. Bounce about the place like your some kind of blues, soul, music retro hipster flare wearing jive talking cool cunt. 

You're nothing but a shit-kicking thunder bastard. 

Hopefully this year yields some top movies as this decade as been dire, bar Django and The Wolf of Wall Street I'm struggling to pick a 'classic'. There have been some good films but nothing that makes you say 'wow'. Well apart from the 2 I've mentioned.

1 minute ago, Elite said:

Hopefully this year yields some top movies as this decade as been dire, bar Django and The Wolf of Wall Street I'm struggling to pick a 'classic'. There have been some good films but nothing that makes you say 'wow'. Well apart from the 2 I've mentioned.

Interstellar and Dallas Buyers Club both great films laa. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Not liking Dirty Dancing or Beverly Hills Cop 3 is fucking soulless. I bet you were made-up when Uncle Dave got shot weren't you, you sick fuck. Bounce about the place like your some kind of blues, soul, music retro hipster flare wearing jive talking cool cunt. 

You're nothing but a shit-kicking thunder bastard. 

I'm not really into the blues.

31 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Yeah, I mean his status kind of got in the way of the film Boyle was trying to make.  I think the intention was to subvert the idea of what a DiCaprio film was, but that aspect just doesn't land and the film would've been better with a lesser known main character thrown into the whole lord of the flies situation.

I think that's what caused Boyle and Ewan McGregor to fall out aswell. Mcgregor had been the lead in all of Boyles films til that point, then got replaced by some babyfaced yank. 

Think it took them about 10 years before they started speaking again.