You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rocky IV...

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guardian review of the new directors cut, no mention of the robot, Tone, but I'm sure they don't want to let any spoilers out.

Two stars, obvioulsy fucking wrong and written by an emotionally stunted media studies virgin who's idea of fun is watching the 'Three Colours Trilogy' in black and white.

The comments section is great though, my favourite being ...

'Agreed. I only got through the first paragraph of the article before I started shadow boxing and singing No Easy Way Out at the top of my voice

The reviewer should have given this 6 stars, and frankly it isn’t too late for him to change his mind. “If I can change, you can change, everybody can change!”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/nov/11/rocky-iv-rocky-vs-drago-review-silly-directors-cut-is-a-losing-battle#comments

Worth reading for the comments alone, the Guardian gone rogue.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Guardian review of the new directors cut, no mention of the robot, Tone, but I'm sure they don't want to let any spoilers out.

Two stars, obvioulsy fucking wrong and written by an emotionally stunted media studies virgin who's idea of fun is watching the 'Three Colours Trilogy' in black and white.

The comments section is great though, my favourite being ...

'Agreed. I only got through the first paragraph of the article before I started shadow boxing and singing No Easy Way Out at the top of my voice

The reviewer should have given this 6 stars, and frankly it isn’t too late for him to change his mind. “If I can change, you can change, everybody can change!”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/nov/11/rocky-iv-rocky-vs-drago-review-silly-directors-cut-is-a-losing-battle#comments

Worth reading for the comments alone, the Guardian gone rogue.

Excellent-

Look, all of this is no doubt true, but sometimes you just wanna watch steakheads pull carts of people through Siberian snow set to inspirational 80s Dad Rock.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Watching rocky iii and the real antagonist in these films is Adrienne.

Ooh rocky you can't win, rocky retire, rocky you're shite you wop fuck.

What a cunt. 

Mick wasn't exactly glass-half-full either. 

• 9 months later...

Saw a clip on YouTube of people going to some of the Rocky sites in Philadelphia. A lot of people go to the building where Mickeys Gym was and the bar opposite as well as Adrian's petshop. 

The gym is just an old empty building and the bar where he fights Tommy Gunn in rocky 5 is now a pizza shop. Adrian's pet shop has been demolished leaving a gap in the streetscape. People have been warned about going to this area as it is apparently very dangerous with tons of drug addicts, dealers and shootings happening. 

The gym is between the two overhead stops of Berks and York Dauphin and Rockys first house is down a sidesteps near there. 

Probably best sticking to the Rocky steps, the City Hall and Cafe Victor which doubles up as Adrian's in Rocky Balboa and the Creed films, it looks exactly the same inside as it does in the films. 

On 05/03/2022 at 00:29, Section_31 said:

Watching rocky iii and the real antagonist in these films is Adrienne.

Ooh rocky you can't win, rocky retire, rocky you're shite you wop fuck.

What a cunt. 

And Rocky 5 as well when she won't let him fight and she just goes back to the pet shop being a big martyr. 

3 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Saw a clip on YouTube of people going to some of the Rocky sites in Philadelphia. A lot of people go to the building where Mickeys Gym was and the bar opposite as well as Adrian's petshop. 

The gym is just an old empty building and the bar where he fights Tommy Gunn in rocky 5 is now a pizza shop. Adrian's pet shop has been demolished leaving a gap in the streetscape. People have been warned about going to this area as it is apparently very dangerous with tons of drug addicts, dealers and shootings happening. 

The gym is between the two overhead stops of Berks and York Dauphin and Rockys first house is down a sidesteps near there. 

Probably best sticking to the Rocky steps, the City Hall and Cafe Victor which doubles up as Adrian's in Rocky Balboa and the Creed films, it looks exactly the same inside as it does in the films. 

Yeah rough as fuck round there! I think I saw the same or similar. Completely derelict shot hole run down with druggies and wrong's. To be fair it hardly looked like Mayfair in the original films. 

On 27/12/2017 at 21:42, John101 said:

Lang's reputation was built on beating a Balboa that wasn't focused, that had been living the celebrity lifestyle.

Drago was an Olympic gold medalist who took a better skilled Balboa, motivated by the death of his mate, all the way. He also would have won by stoppage if it weren't for some poor refereeing, an error that would sadly cost Balboa in later years.

Drago by stoppage around 5 for me.

Why do you think this?

Apollo was the undisputed, undefeated heavyweight champion of the world before he ever met Rocko.

The master of disaster, the king of sting, the count of monte fisto and about a dozen other badass names I can’t remember.

40 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah rough as fuck round there! I think I saw the same or similar. Completely derelict shot hole run down with druggies and wrong's. To be fair it hardly looked like Mayfair in the original films. 

It at least seems to have some charm in the original films. It is in an area called Kensington and one of the roughest and most dangerous places in America.

There is a tour you can do with a Rocky impersonator called the Yo Rocky tour, even Sylvester Stallone has endorsed it. He will take you to all the sites but all the smackheads and dealers leave you alone as he's a local.

My mate said he went to Chicago and there is a park with a museum in it. Got the overhead train there and went round the museum no problem. Walked back to the train station and went back to the hotel. Told the hotel staff where he had been and they all went off their heads at him as it was in a place called East garfield Park where the crime rate is 600 percent higher than the national average. He also stopped off at a street where Ray's Shop in Blues Brothers was filmed. Right next to the station. They all thought he was like Bruce Willis in Die Hard with a vengeance wanting someone to shoot him. 

• Upvote 1