You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

finnan - our best full back since phil neal?

Guest Hack

Finnan's best quality is his consistency. He rarely puts in an MoM performance, but he's almost never the worst player on the pitche either. He's very reliable, and occasionally even very good - the kind of player you only really appreciate when he's gone.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finnan is the best right back I recall us having. Jones was very good from what I remember but that isnt much so its hard for me to really judge. My favourite player when I was younger (apart from Robbie) was Heggem. I thought he was asuperb right back and much like Jones, it was a shame injury robbed him of so much of his career.

Finnan is class though. He has two good feet and as Paul says, great positioning and understanding.

Hardly a ringing endorsment!

ha i know......its just always seemed the me that Rafa wasnt too sure about finnan, and again come january im sure another right back will come in as competetion, which is definetly a good thing.

As someone else mentioned, finnan is mr consistent and has proven himself over the past few seasons..

it seems many believe babbel to be of a higher quality, well yes babbel at his peak form for us was superb...that one season he had ,he was the best full back in the league, yet the unfortunate illness robbed him and us of many years at our club.

Finnan's best quality is his consistency. He rarely puts in an MoM performance, but he's almost never the worst player on the pitche either. He's very reliable, and occasionally even very good - the kind of player you only really appreciate when he's gone.

pretty much spot on although I'd say he's very good most of the time.

Finnan is the best right back I recall us having. Jones was very good from what I remember but that isnt much so its hard for me to really judge. My favourite player when I was younger (apart from Robbie) was Heggem. I thought he was asuperb right back and much like Jones, it was a shame injury robbed him of so much of his career.

Finnan is class though. He has two good feet and as Paul says, great positioning and understanding.

Good call - Veggie was really promising and could have been top drawer - seemed to be a jinx on our right backs with several exceptional players careers cut short.

I don't see Steve Finnan getting in that top 5 yet but he is definitely quality - I think it would help him to have some proper competition for a place. I think he also benefited from the games he played in midfield a couple of seasons ago -seemed to improve his attacking game. I would have liked to see him playing some Carling Cup games at RM.

I would say Babbel myself, a good crosser, excellent in the challenge and a tireless performance week in week out. To me he was Mr composed, he never looked flustered and I always felt he had a presence about him on the pitch. I remember when it was all slowly coming out about his illness etc and it was sort of sinking in that he wouldnt play for us again. I was completely devestated, as I was when they ditched Henchoz for Peligrino the CUNT but thats another story.

love the guy, fantastic option...and a decent midfielder, never been comfortable with him at left back though.

Done some great things for us but as you say a bit suspect at left back, he's going through a bad run of form at the minute and at times against charlton he looked a liability. When people run at him he seems unsure of what to do and half the time ends up falling on his arse, however for a left back he scores a shit load of goals and got us out of trouble with his left foot a few times.

agreed i loved watching Stevie Nicol I still remember his hat trick againt the geordies at St James's back in 87 a completly dependable player who never let the side down an was also a lot more consistent than Finnan, thats not saying i don;t rate Fin i do and would class him as one of the best right backs around today but best since Phil Neal not a chance