You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you like Christmas?

Guest TK-421

Do you like Christmas  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Christmas

• Yes - peace and goodwill to all men, women, children and squid
    • No - fuck the whole thing off

26 minutes ago, Seasons said:

Is that out of kindness or is there some strategy behind this?

If she thinks she’s better than daddy at it, she’ll want to play on it more often. It’s simple child psychology, mate. Build ‘em up before you knock ‘em down. 

I just won half the games I was actively trying to lose against the little one. Next up it’s our ten year old and she’ll be shown no mercy. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

If she thinks she’s better than daddy at it, she’ll want to play on it more often. It’s simple child psychology, mate. Build ‘em up before you knock ‘em down. 

I just won half the games I was actively trying to lose against the little one. Next up it’s our ten year old and she’ll be shown no mercy. 

I'm with you. And then it's "winner takes all the Christmas presents" against the 10 year old after all those years of conditioning. You clever merciless bastard. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Champ said:

And extra marks for going to the effort of actually bringing in something homemade. Nothing says love more than that 

Thanks Champ, kind words and it means a lot.

Mrs Butty has now said she! Wants to make the trifle next year. Getting the feeling this could be turning to a competition, which, if it means going back next year in a kind of trifle bake, won't be the worst thing in the world for all. 

I've just been downstairs. Her Indoors has clearly not thrown everyone out. Well anyone.

Cockney Wanker smiled and looked at me like I was his long lost brother. I have just retreated upstairs. Fuck knows when this place will clear out.

I have now realised that the same shite is happening tomorrow. I will break to find a stream to watch a certain sporting event and shout as many profanities as possible.

Everything will be my fault although all I wanted was a quiet couple of days.

Fuck christmas. I do have access to copious amounts of ale though so all is not lost.

2 hours ago, Seasons said:

I come across this quite a lot. You're completely right, looking after parents (or anyone for that matter) can be quite demanding and can have a huge toll on our wellbeing. I think this whole 100% in or out is probably an unrealistic solution for you in the long term and that's based on my experience working with people. Take today as your credit, you've done an amazing job helping her out and sharing Christmas with her. You've helped with the upkeep of the house and identified areas where carers could help or assist (e.g. bread/food management). You've put her before you and that's something to be super proud of so here's to you my friend. Right now, get yourself some rest, relax and recharge. Spend tomorrow on you, your family and watch the mighty reds. It's all about balance and it's important that you put just the same amount of energy into you and what you enjoy. 

Sorry to hear about your loss mate but congrats on your new journey. I'm sure your dad's looking down on you and thinking he couldn't have raised a better lad. Keep your chin up, you've got a lot of memories to look back on and be happy about and many more to make. All the best. 

Alright lads, I've downed two bottles of wine and I'm now officially open for providing emotional support and well wishes. Who's up next? 

Cheers mate, needed to end the year on a high.

14 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Routine in our house since my ol fella would let us have a drink at home was always...

Lie in, then start with a Bloody Mary, open the fizz when you’re cooking breakfast, lie on the sofa feeling stuffed listening to music or watching some telly. 

Then time dinner around the game, cold meats, pickles, bubble and squeak, left over roast potatoes and stuffing, crack open the red wine for with dinner. 

Watch the game, then play cards against humanity, poker, cards - shithead, blob, new market, rummy etc with a cheeseboard and port. 

Seems pretty civilized, I'm in

7 hours ago, Chip Butty said:

All done. Feeling, sad, proud, touched and chuffed, all in equal measure with today. Met some great people who, sadly for them, have been dealt a shit hand by life and one refugee lad from Afghanistan, who was so thankful, it almost brought a tear to this swinging brick of a blokes, eye. The lads been here just over a month and no one will talk to him where his bedsit is, as he's 'foreign'. Gave the kid a lift home and he told me that this is the most conversation he's had in the entire month he's been here and how he enjoyed the music, the food but most of all, the company.

Me and Mrs Butty have both agreed we will be doing this again next year.

Photies of the small hall we helped set up and my trifle taking pride of place on the dessert table. It went down a treat, so chuffed with that, even more so as the Afghan lad had never had trifle before and he loved it. The most fulfilling  and rewarding Christmases Ive ever had.  Now to cook mine. 

IMG_1452.JPG

IMG_1453.JPG

Good man. Fair play to you.  

You should have arranged for a few of us to come around, masked up, to fill him in, then say something like “Big G says get the debt paid or next time we take fingers.”

This would have achieved the main aim while leaving you with clean hands in the eyes of your wife and the Bint.

It's a time of year that has the capacity to be either spectacularly brilliant or shit, depending on various external factors (e.g. finances, health, whether it is spent alone, in good company or in bad company (though if it were spent with Bad Company, I think that would be dead boss), and other stressors)). But, if everything is smooth leading into it, I love Christmas; family, friends, food, footie, festivities, fan-fucking-tastic!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Bollocks to New Years Eve. Load of shite, it really is.

Agreed. Not arsed about NYE one bit. Not been out on a new years for years and years. Full of utter bellends. New years Day can be nice for a few pints and a bit of food though. 

• Upvote 1