You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ever thought about emigrating?

Section_31

On 31/03/2006 at 08:07, RedinSweden said:

The language was a piece of piss to be honest, but I come from a family of linguists and have a foreign Mum. s far as the legal side, it is much easier if you are an EU citizen. We have now got permanent residence and they have asked if we want to become swedish citizens, but as it costs a bit more than 100 quid a pop and we are a family of five, i can think of better things to do with my money. You are right about the English.

I first came out here when I was 18 and i can assure you that the English are very popular. ;)

You still happy to stay in Sweden RIS, now that the Nazis are taking over?

I don't think I'd emigrate but I might in the next year look for a secondment in work for the Middle east, I'm doing alright here but the money I could make and the break from the knob heads in the country would be great. I work for a global company so it's a definite possibility, I am one lazy bastard mind so this is probably just all talk.

• Upvote 1

Had the chance to move to the US in the 90s but the Mrs RiB of the time wouldnt have it, I often wonder how that would have turned out.

Certainly over the last 10 years I have thought about it, jury still out. I'm sure I'll feel better about things once Truss starts to implement her policies.

I'd love to but my missus wouldn't. It's not so much that there's better places ( there is ) but there's places where I'd be less annoyed by the serfs.. serfing. In Spain I could say "these people have their ways I'm just here for the sunshine" but in England I just think "I'm in fucking Morder with the orcs aren't I, this is who Tolkien based the orcs upon"

• 1 year later...
On 21/09/2022 at 18:18, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'd love to but my missus wouldn't. It's not so much that there's better places ( there is ) but there's places where I'd be less annoyed by the serfs.. serfing. In Spain I could say "these people have their ways I'm just here for the sunshine" but in England I just think "I'm in fucking Morder with the orcs aren't I, this is who Tolkien based the orcs upon"

I just don't remember ever writing that.

I'd be happy just to live in Cornwall or Devon. Buy a dog walk it on the beach in the morning and evening, afternoon pints. Log fire. Somewhere to chop wood and build spice racks. 

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I just don't remember ever writing that.

I'd be happy just to live in Cornwall or Devon. Buy a dog walk it on the beach in the morning and evening, afternoon pints. Log fire. Somewhere to chop wood and build spice racks. 

A nice farm house/cottage near Abersoch. 

• Upvote 1

On 30/03/2006 at 12:31, sh#t waffle said:

I am possibly emigrating to Sydney next year with my girlfriend (who is Australian). It's just a case of proving that we have been living together for two years, which will happen in April next year. Am shitting it, but then she gave up her very cosy life in Sydney to come over here, so it's about time I repaid the favour. I lived in Sydney for a year about three years ago, so it's not quite so daunting as I already know I love the city and have lots of friends there. Also, as has been said before, the language is not a problem. Finally, it's much easier to get jobs in the media over there, especially if you're English and all your Australian friends work in the industry.

I can't see that it will be permanent - the weather isn't important enough to me, and England will always seem like home - but I think it's something that everyone should try, if the conditions are right.

Good to see we're making it happen just the 17 years late...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 7

We emigrated in 1981 and have never looked back. I worked in the manufacturing industry, and after the carnage of the 1970s (and two redundancies) I'd had enough. Fortunately, my wife was fully on board with the decision, which was a major factor. It wasn't all plain sailing, but we have never regretted making the move. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I had a chance to move to Canada where I have family spread across the country but I spurned the chance because of a lady. Too old now but I do have the odd pang of regret. 

My uncle went to Canada and came back after two weeks - two - because he couldn't find a job. 

That's the pioneering stock from whence I come.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

My uncle went to Canada and came back after two weeks - two - because he couldn't find a job. 

That's the pioneering stock from whence I come.

Sounds like he was just homesick and used the job thing as an excuse. My cousin does a fairly similar job in tech to me but earns less. He's got a 6 bed house on 4 acres. I'd have to earn a truck load more to be able to afford anything similar. That's one of the positives of Canada. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Waitak said:

We emigrated in 1981 and have never looked back. I worked in the manufacturing industry, and after the carnage of the 1970s (and two redundancies) I'd had enough. Fortunately, my wife was fully on board with the decision, which was a major factor. It wasn't all plain sailing, but we have never regretted making the move. 

Are you across the ditch in NZ ?

3 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Have thought about it with MrsD as we're both teachers could easily find employment in other English speaking countries. Sadly, KidD is the entire focus of my mum and dad's lives and taking her away would probably drive them to an early grave 

Take them with you, put them on the roof like in the Beverly hillbillies.