You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd (H) - Sun 17th Dec 2023 (4:30pm)

Trumo

3 minutes ago, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

Re: Tsimikas, he took up decent positions and wasn’t found. I agree. 

But, with the ball, he was a bit like Diaz. Not really doing enough to run at his man and take him on on the outside. 

To counter your second point, I shall reference your first.

24 minutes ago, TheSire said:

I've thought this for a while tbh. His numbers and the eye test don't match up at all. I think with him it's a volume game, he will get plenty of chances so will always grab one + pens etc. He's lost a fair bit of pace though so we won't see as many where we counter and he gets in behind and doesn't get caught. One frustrating thing is how he never seems to put any power on anything, every pass or shot is hit like a feather.

Scoring and assisting a lot is almost always about a volume game, that is until someone like Nunez comes around and severely tests that theory.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

It’s games like that when we could’ve done with prime Coutinho. 

We've replaced him with another player that predictably runs into trouble.  What makes it worse is you can see that most of the players are really trying, and it's just that final ball, or that final decision, is sloppy or wrong.  Tired minds as well as bodies.  That said, I don't think we have a world class front line any more - haven't for a few years, if truth be told.  

• Upvote 2

Bear in mind United played a full strength team midweek and it makes this so much worse. 

Dave, I'll be on the pod tonight, just let me get a few cans down me. 

Klopp had one pre-game message, "we can play bad and win this, but we can't play REALLY bad, so just don't play really bad". 

And they played really bad.

It all gets hard from here, we've got West Ham this Wednesday night in the EFL and he'll be tempted to rest players again so there's a good chance we go out of that, we then have our heads down going into Arsenal, then Burnley away could be an unmitigated disaster, with Newcastle potentially being able to leapfrog us if they win, and then Afcon will take Salah away.  

While I am increasingly frustrated with Nunez, I'm actually more frustrated with the stunted development of Gakpo and Diaz.  We're coming up to 2 years of Diaz, it feels like decision time. 

Gakpo is actually left forward, so Diaz leaving would enable him to play in his best position, then we can properly judge him.  

Nunez constantly feels like he's being asked to suppress a natural side of his game. 

Ha, like the mancs deserve a pat on the head for playing for a draw when they've spent millions more than us and are always carping on about being the biggest club in the world.

Keane likes to pull the success stuff out of his arse, but he was a laughably shit manager - the one time in his life where he had to rely on something other than the fact mother nature saw fit to gift him with the right DNA. 

• Upvote 1

Just seen this in the round up thread and realised we were jinxed from the start. At least I still have half a bag of mini Toblerone to dip into.

If we don’t beat them this weekend it would be inexplicable and everyone should be fined, unless something mad happens with red cards and freakish incidents. Otherwise it should be comfortable and I'm not saying that because of the 7-0 last season either. It's based on how they've played. That’s how bad they are.

I’m not making any predictions and saying we’ll twat them, but I will say that we SHOULD twat them. They’re proper shit and they’re also decimated by injuries. Even with their best teams they’re shit but when they’re bringing in some of the stiffs they’re having to play you can see why they’ve lost half the games they played.

It means nothing if we don’t take care of business and we might not. We might play shit and fuck it up, but the more likely scenario is that they just won’t be able to live with us. Level par for me is a three goal winning margin. Less than that and we’ve not done what we should. More than that and we’ve had a very good day. It’s not going to be 7-0 again though, even if we play really well that’s not going to happen again.

6 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

The forwards thing is weird.

We were all backslapping each other about a month ago about how prolific the five of them were. 

They’ve been wretched in recent weeks. Dire.

I think the back slapping was due to how good they were as a group, rather than anything they were doing individually.

Even back then they were all pretty inconsistent, however, it wasn't an issue as we could rotate/bring people off the bench.They were all probably in slightly  better form to be fair.

Frustrating game that. There are a number of things in our game that are difficult to watch and while I'm delighted we're close to the top I don't actually know what we want to be as a team.

We play with zero width most games until we change system as the one we start with isn't working. For any unambitious team it's easy to defend and doesn't move them about.

We appear to be a team reliant on the quality of our individuals (and set pieces) and there's no noticeable patterns of play. Our goals are generally from individual brilliance or set pieces. There was certainly no link up play of any note today or in many other games lately.

There are also the same negative individual traits that are coming to the fore every game when we have the ball and are repeated constantly.

Salah predictably cutting in on this left and being tackled, Nunez being caught offside and making decent chances seem like nothing, Gravenberch underhitting passes behind players, Szoboszlai belting the ball into the crowd from miles out, Trent trying the impossible relentlessly and losing the ball on 90 odd per cent of them.

Without the ball we have a shape and plan but that's it. With it we're just a collection of individuals who are trying things. It needs to improve for us to have a chance of contending.

Just now, BeefStroganoff said:

Sorry Jurgen but you are talking out of your backside. Any Liverpool side with an ounce of effort batters that makeshift side.

Disagree.  They worked hard but the performance was indicative of how we've been playing all season. No attacking fluidity, scoring goals from moments instead of patterns, promising situations breaking down.  The difference today was that, because it was Man Utd and there was an expectation, the players tried to force it, so all our problems were exacerbated and we looked worse going forward than we have for a good while.

• Upvote 1

Shit that we couldn't beat them, but last year we battered them then made ourselves sick with smelling our own farts and lost against Bournemouth immediately afterwards. 

Hopefully Klopp smacks some sense into this lot and we can have a bit more fight in us, Arsenal will come looking for a win and the game will be a lot more open, so we could surprise them and that game is much more important. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

The forwards thing is weird.

We were all backslapping each other about a month ago about how prolific the five of them were. 

They’ve been wretched in recent weeks. Dire.

Our goals are increasingly coming from less likely areas.

I think we need more rotation, but injuries are mounting and they’re threatening to derail our season. Where’s Bajcetic? Good filler for the midweek games. Endo now needed, but we could still be rotating Dom and Grav - Dom is looking increasingly tired.