You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2024 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

He’s just warming up incase we get beat this afternoon. 

The urethral sounding kit, a pineapple and some lube already laid out and prepared. 

Well I mean that all depends on what compromise of a team Jurgen decides to put out due to injury, amount of games and missing afcon/asian cup players.

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Could he have learnt from mistakes of keeping hold of players too long in the past? 

I cant see him changing this aspect significantly,  but time will tell I suppose. He might feel that he knows what he gets from Kostas whereas Ali-Nouri looks a good'un but you never really know exactly until they arrive.

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Could he have learnt from mistakes of keeping hold of players too long in the past? 

How is giving a player you don't really want a new contract learning? The answer is you and TD are taking shit. Klopp is here 8 years, it's not what he does, he's never done it and won't ever do it. Anyone offered a contract extension will have earned it and we will honor it unless the player wants out.

8 minutes ago, No2 said:

How is giving a player you don't really want a new contract learning? The answer is you and TD are taking shit. Klopp is here 8 years, it's not what he does, he's never done it and won't ever do it. Anyone offered a contract extension will have earned it and we will honor it unless the player wants out.

Thats already been answered, twice.

Anyway, we’ll see. Time will tell. 

7 minutes ago, No2 said:

I've said the contract was, in part to protect value but that we also wanted to keep him (and it would be Tsimikas's decision to go). What's shit about that?

17 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I've said the contract was, in part to protect value but that we also wanted to keep him (and it would be Tsimikas's decision to go). What's shit about that?

The part about protecting his value. We haven't done it, we don't do it and we won't do it while Jurgen Klopp is the manager. 

10 minutes ago, No2 said:

The part about protecting his value. We haven't done it, we don't do it and we won't do it while Jurgen Klopp is the manager. 

Hate to break this to you but that's what all contracts do. If he decided to pursue first team football in the summer he would have left for less than he would if he does the same in the next couple under his new deal.

Klopp wants to keep him (hence the new deal), supporters were quite keen to get rid before Robertson's injury, the only scenario where he left would be if he wanted to.

7 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Hate to break this to you but that's what all contracts do. If he decided to pursue first team football in the summer he would have left for less than he would if he does the same in the next couple under his new deal.

Klopp wants to keep him (hence the new deal), supporters were quite keen to get rid before Robertson's injury, the only scenario where he left would be if he wanted to.

That's what most clubs do, it's not what we do. Give me an example of any player* that we have resigned to protect value and then sold?

*kids don't count.

There was a fourfourtwo video earlier in the week suggesting that both the short and long term option to replace Salah could be Szoboszlai with Elliott taking Dom's place in midfield. The way the current system works has Dom and Mo interchanging a fair bit anyway so that makes sense and it may see us get more out of Dom's naturally explosive abilities in the final third. It seems sounds logic to me but I'd want another substantial signing in one of those two positions if this is the plan, or a "6" so that Mac can play further forward. 

The one thing the video did highlight was that whilst Mo is obviously a superstar, the nature of the system does mean that there is a lot of overlap in individual roles which should make it easier - but by no means easy - to replace him, even if not like-for-like. However, I hope he's here for another 2-3 years and we invest in the next world class player to rotate with Dom, Harvey, etc but that wouldn't be my January priority.

I'd be doing the obvious and frequently mentioned thing of buying Matip's replacement, if possible. It's an absolute no-brainer that we need someone there in the long-term and making that signing in January would be a huge boost.

Priorities, for me, Clive:

1) Left-sided centre back.

2) A "6"

3) A right sided "8" or Mo's long term replacement.

4) Snoogy Doogy

6 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Well I mean that all depends on what compromise of a team Jurgen decides to put out due to injury, amount of games and missing afcon/asian cup players.

I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief that tonight you should be…

4AC84508-9F5C-4C00-8BA6-50D908D318F4.gif

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Doesn't mendes still pretty much decide what happens to wolves Portuguese players? And I might be wrong, but isn't he also carvalho's agent too? I'm sure if we want any deal like that we can make it happen because of the relationship with mendes. 

The real issue with Neto is he misses games. I know a lot of it is big injuries, but he's missed a big slice of this season already. I like him as a player, but I'd be concerned with his injury record. He's in his 5th season at wolves and has played just 123 games and he's been a guaranteed pick since he got in the team. 

Fully agee. Neto looks a brilliant player, but with that injury record signing him looks like a terrible idea to me.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief that tonight you should be…

4AC84508-9F5C-4C00-8BA6-50D908D318F4.gif

Only saw the first half and they should have put the game to bed. Missed most of the second. but im sure that was Jurgens plan all along.

And yes you are a twat.

26 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Only saw the first half and they should have put the game to bed. Missed most of the second. but im sure that was Jurgens plan all along.

And yes you are a twat.

Mocking a win that you only half watched.

Pure parody.

I think we can say the club probably won't be looking at spending 60ml on a new CB anytime soon, especially if Klopp wants to give Matip a new deal. Probably be better spent on another Gomez type who can fill in. Quansah looks better and better each game he plays. Can't see us spending 60ml on a Inacio type who will want to start when Virg and Konate will be the main 2 and Quansah being home grown looks  very good and Gomez once Robbo and Tsmikas are back will still need minutes and RB/CB cover. 

Szobozlai might be able to do a job backing up Salah and will keep him fresher and sharper than doing the donkey work we have him doing now. But other than that i'd be looking at a RW so we can rest Mo as needed and have his long term replacement ready for when he eventually goes. Doak is miles off and will need a loan move at some point for minutes. Wouldn't be shocked if he was loaned out at some point next year.

49 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Wouldn't go anywhere near Neto at the moment

The fee isn't worth the risk

1234.png

It's not just that, he's pretty different to what we normally buy. He is a really good winger and creative threat, but we tend to buy wide forwards with big goal threat or goal threat potential, who shoot quite a bit. He is not that.

Diaz and Gakpo were maybe slight deviations from that profile but Neto would be a big, big deviation.

The centre back conversation is interesting now with the emergence of Quansah. If Klopp thinks he's the real deal, it's harder to consider buying a centre back. Unless he tells him we're going to pull you back, you're still young, be patient, etc...

But in the event he keeps rising and they want to do right by Matip, Matip then becomes the insurance 4th choice and that sort of makes sense, but it's a bit risky.

Van den Berg is also doing some interesting stuff on loan in the Bundesliga. He is 99th percentile in aerial duel wins. Remains to be seen whether he will ever have the level, or will ever get a chance but that is eye-catching.

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The centre back conversation is interesting now with the emergence of Quansah. If Klopp thinks he's the real deal, it's harder to consider buying a centre back. Unless he tells him we're going to pull you back, you're still young, be patient, etc...

But in the event he keeps rising and they want to do right by Matip, Matip then becomes the insurance 4th choice and that sort of makes sense, but it's a bit risky.

Van den Berg is also doing some interesting stuff on loan in the Bundesliga. He is 99th percentile in aerial duel wins. Remains to be seen whether he will ever have the level, or will ever get a chance but that is eye-catching.

I can't see how we benefit from renewing Matip.

He'll be 33 with a really ropey injury history and fresh off a really serious injury and very long absence - sort of injury it would be no surprise at all if he was never same after at this stage of his career especially.