You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2024 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

10 minutes ago, John102 said:

Brighton signing Valentin Barco from Boca. Looks a good prospect. How do they do it...

We could do it too, but there's usually a reason the player isn't going for crazy money yet. 

Remember they signed Baleba to replace Caceido? Fair to say he's not hit the ground running and it's likely he's a work in progress who they will be patient with.  

Same with Igor and Buonanotte.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I think we all need to remember what the plan was at the beginning of the season, to qualify for the CL. 

We don't need to thrash around in the water trying to win the league against a club with 100+ FFP breaches.  We could spend £200m this month and still lose to them by a point, or 10 points.  

We're on track to beat them next season, when we calmly and rationally add to the squad and move a couple more on.  

Cmon mate we could win this league. If it wasn't for our stingy transfer business a few of those near misses could have been extra pots. Most of our failures have been squad based.

1 hour ago, John102 said:

Brighton signing Valentin Barco from Boca. Looks a good prospect. How do they do it...

Pay the 10m release clause and are seen as a good base for young South Americans to try make their name and get games, usually offer fairly favourable deals that allow them to move on if and when they want to. 

3 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Cmon mate we could win this league. If it wasn't for our stingy transfer business a few of those near misses could have been extra pots. Most of our failures have been squad based.

I would say a couple of near miss seasons were definitely due to the squad/stinge combo.

This time I reckon we have plenty of players of first team quality. Obviously have a few short term injuries at the mo, but we’ve got good cover at all positions.

The main issue would be whether our best players are going to be good enough. 

• Upvote 1

I feel our squad is not far off being spot on - the mix in defence could be better IMO and we should have shipped Thiago out and brought someone in who can contribute, or just not counted him until he fucks off and brought someone in - but other than that I don't feel we are all that far off having it nailed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

I really think one or two signings will make a huge difference, we are top with a great chance, lets put belt and braces on it. Who knows what might happen next season. 

Such as? I'll take one or two...

Don't think we need two. Ideally I'd get Matips replacement in now so Gomez can go back to being a utility man and Tre to main cover. Would let us loan Bradley out for the second half of the season to a championship club. And bring Ramsey back as emergency 3rd choice as he's isn't playing for Preston anyway. Get him fit and ready for another loan next year. 

With the midfield once Endo is back we have 6 players for 3 players,plus whatever time we get out of Thiago and Bajectic. Whether people like it or not there is noway Klopp is buying someone for Bajectic to fight with for a spot long term. He would effectively be 7th choice the rest of the way

6 Mac Callister/Endo

RM Szoboszlai/Harvey

LM Jones/Gravenberch 

7/8 Bajectic/Thiago

There isn't room for anyone else until Thiago is off the books and Klopp figures out if Mac Callister stays deeper and if Bajectic is ready for next year 

And we have 5 forwards 

Alisson/Kelleher/Adrian

2 non HG

LB Robbo/Kostas

RB Trent/Bradley

CB Virg/Konate/Quansah 

Gomez

4 non HG

6 Mac Callister/Endo

RM Szoboszlai/Harvey

LM Jones/Gravenberch 

7/8 Bajectic/Thiago

4 non HG

Salah/Nunez/Jota/Diaz/Gakpo

5 non HG

15 non HG players, we can have 17 max 

We have been linked with a lad at Wolfsburg Maxence Lacroix recently and he's a left footed CB, so could be one to watch. He apparently can play LB aswell so would free Gomez up. But it's not the way to do a deal because a few players are out for a month. Best bet would be if we could find a player we could loan with a option for 6 months but Klopp doesn't seem one for short term loan deals

10 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Ah im so sorry you are frustrated with Thiago. I mean you must have been so terribly frustrated for the best part of a year dear.

Fuck me YOU ARE DUMB.

10 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Shows what you fucking know then. You disappeared sharpish last season when the owners didn't back the manager and the team was failing all over the place and doing exactly what most on here predicted but as usual you are always so fucking wrong. If you spent more time looking around and opening your eyes rather than being a smarmy cunt on here you'd learn more.

09DE122A-E74A-454C-BA09-DE485B5B50AB.gif

And I didn’t disappear sharpish last season. I’m not going over it again, I can’t be bothered and it’s untrue. Just because I don’t rant & rant & rant about it doesn’t mean was happy with the situation.

Disappearing sharpish tends to be your schtick - mostly outside of transfer windows or when we’re winning. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

09DE122A-E74A-454C-BA09-DE485B5B50AB.gif

And I didn’t disappear sharpish last season. I’m not going over it again, I can’t be bothered and it’s untrue. Just because I don’t rant & rant & rant about it doesn’t mean was happy with the situation.

Disappearing sharpish tends to be your schtick - mostly outside of transfer windows or when we’re winning. 

So you mean being normal then? Why moan when you are winning? Transfer windows are different however and under FSG have been consistently frustrating and have cost us numerous times which you are well aware of.

There’s nothing wrong with being objective which is what the world no longer likes, especially the likes of yourself who sees the club and owners as some kind of idol. If the club deserves criticism it will get it and praise when it’s merited.

I gave up idolising footballers when I was ten.

Would love us to be brave and go for the centre half we need. But unless there are extenuating circumstances I can't see anyone of the sufficient quality being available in January. 

This has the feelings of 2016/2017 when we were in the title picture in January, didn't strengthen as Sadio went off to the African Cup of Jabronis and we dropped points. Our squad depth is much better now but it does feel like not signing a centre half is playing with fire. 

19 hours ago, etho said:

There’s absolutely no way we’re signing someone when Trent robbo and kostas will all be back in 3 weeks

And in 3 weeks there'll be another bunch of injuries. Also, after 4 months out, while robbo might be back in training in 3 weeks, it would seem pretty unlikely he will be ready to play. 

And by Feb, we'll be informed thiago is only a.month away from rejoining training and everything is good. 

5 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Don't think we need two. Ideally I'd get Matips replacement in now so Gomez can go back to being a utility man and Tre to main cover. Would let us loan Bradley out for the second half of the season to a championship club. And bring Ramsey back as emergency 3rd choice as he's isn't playing for Preston anyway. Get him fit and ready for another loan next year. 

With the midfield once Endo is back we have 6 players for 3 players,plus whatever time we get out of Thiago and Bajectic. Whether people like it or not there is noway Klopp is buying someone for Bajectic to fight with for a spot long term. He would effectively be 7th choice the rest of the way

6 Mac Callister/Endo

RM Szoboszlai/Harvey

LM Jones/Gravenberch 

7/8 Bajectic/Thiago

There isn't room for anyone else until Thiago is off the books and Klopp figures out if Mac Callister stays deeper and if Bajectic is ready for next year 

And we have 5 forwards 

Alisson/Kelleher/Adrian

2 non HG

LB Robbo/Kostas

RB Trent/Bradley

CB Virg/Konate/Quansah 

Gomez

4 non HG

6 Mac Callister/Endo

RM Szoboszlai/Harvey

LM Jones/Gravenberch 

7/8 Bajectic/Thiago

4 non HG

Salah/Nunez/Jota/Diaz/Gakpo

5 non HG

15 non HG players, we can have 17 max 

We have been linked with a lad at Wolfsburg Maxence Lacroix recently and he's a left footed CB, so could be one to watch. He apparently can play LB aswell so would free Gomez up. But it's not the way to do a deal because a few players are out for a month. Best bet would be if we could find a player we could loan with a option for 6 months but Klopp doesn't seem one for short term loan deals

Adrian and Thiago will help that quota come summer by going.

43 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

We should be looking to bring in a CB as Gomez is effectively a full back at the minute.

Yeah agreed. Can even be someone just for the short term. 

There are two major signings that we need to be making in the next year or two - replacements for Virgil and Mo, and they need to be absolutely top notch. If we have the chance to sign someone we think could be at that level, we need to do it when we can.

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

So you mean being normal then? Why moan when you are winning? Transfer windows are different however and under FSG have been consistently frustrating and have cost us numerous times which you are well aware of.

There’s nothing wrong with being objective which is what the world no longer likes, especially the likes of yourself who sees the club and owners as some kind of idol. If the club deserves criticism it will get it and praise when it’s merited.

I gave up idolising footballers when I was ten.

F971D4B5-A785-4E20-8C8D-BD2EA2E61EF6.gif