You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2024 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Unless they've seen enough of Son upfront to think he can be the permanent 9 and shift Werner to the left so they're less reliant on his finishing and more on his ability to stretch the play (and keep up with Son)

55 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Spurs linked to a loan move for Werner. Guess he’ll deputize (or try) in Son’s absence 

And he can cover/replace Richardson too over the rest of the season. I can see the value in the move for spurs, it's a throw away gamble. I'm not sure Werner has it in him though - but for the sake of a couple of mil wages, it's a risk worth taking. 

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Please don't.

He’s just warming up incase we get beat this afternoon. 

The urethral sounding kit, a pineapple and some lube already laid out and prepared. 

27 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

With Wolves interested in Carvalho could we set up a Jota/Hoever deal in the summer with Carvalho/Neto?

I think Carvalho would more likely to be a sweetener for Rayan Aït-Nouri in the summer. 

Ultimately, I think we’d choose Carvalho’s next club based on where he’d get the most minutes. I know we could penalise Wolves if he’s not playing enough, doesn’t really do us much good long term. IMO, he’d be better off in the Championship. 

When we gave Tsimikas a new deal I think it was partly to protect his value in any future sale in case we decided to move him on but his performances while Robertson was out may have convinced the club we don't need to and unless Tsimikas want's to go I can't see him going (if Aït-Nouri qualified as home grown it might be a different matter).

As good a player as Aït-Nouri is/could be getting Neto in would give you that layer of insurance, and versatility, that Jota brought when we signed him (injury issues accepted) and a genuine option from the right hand side that means we aren't completely devoid of options if Salah upped and left (and have a bona fide backup that would allow us to manage Salah's minutes if he didn't) and would still leave room for a genuine difference maker.

[Edit] Don't think it will happen because Klopp may see it as he would be too similar in style to Doak/Gordon/Kone-Doherty and so would block their path to the first team even if they are 2-3 years from ready (if ever).

Doesn't mendes still pretty much decide what happens to wolves Portuguese players? And I might be wrong, but isn't he also carvalho's agent too? I'm sure if we want any deal like that we can make it happen because of the relationship with mendes. 

The real issue with Neto is he misses games. I know a lot of it is big injuries, but he's missed a big slice of this season already. I like him as a player, but I'd be concerned with his injury record. He's in his 5th season at wolves and has played just 123 games and he's been a guaranteed pick since he got in the team. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

So I guess we are waiting to see if we can navigate the next few games without issue before deciding whether we will invest?

Must make sense to gamble again from the owners pov.

We're not going to be making any signings this month. Best to make your peace with it now.

32 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

When we gave Tsimikas a new deal I think it was partly to protect his value in any future sale in case we decided to move him on but his performances while Robertson was out may have convinced the club we don't need to and unless Tsimikas want's to go I can't see him going (if Aït-Nouri qualified as home grown it might be a different matter).

I agree Tsmiskas’ contact was to protect his value. 

I don’t think Aït-Nouri is classed as homegrown. 

Robbo is 30 in March and his contract expires in 2026. IMO, we don’t think Tsmiskas will ever be first choice. He’s very good back up, he’s not going to ever be viewed as first team, certain starter material. I think we’ll look to move Tsmiskas on in the summer and bring in Aït-Nouri as Robbo’s long term replacement and have him learn from Robbo. 

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I agree Tsmiskas’ contact was to protect his value. 

I don’t think Aït-Nouri is classed as homegrown. 

Robbo is 30 in March and his contract expires in 2026. IMO, we don’t think Tsmiskas will ever be first choice. He’s very good back up, he’s not going to ever be viewed as first team, certain starter material. I think we’ll look to move Tsmiskas on in the summer and bring in Aït-Nouri as Robbo’s long term replacement and have him learn from Robbo. 

I don't think Kostas is going anywhere unless he wants to go. Not how Jurgen works.

6 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I don't think Kostas is going anywhere unless he wants to go. Not how Jurgen works.

Could he have learnt from mistakes of keeping hold of players too long in the past?