You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

10 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Unless they have someway to avoid paying taxes surely that makes even more sense to spend. Read before that through the 70s that was the philosophy behind signing the young lower league players like Rush at the end of March early April. They figured out what the tax was and just spent it on a player so they avoided giving it to the taxman. Can't remember the book might have been the Paisley one. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

People said the same thing after we won the league. They brought in Thiago and we looked good. Looks obvious to me they are looking at something new, especially up top as Nunez is about as far away from Bobby as you can get. Looks like they want pace and power and probably partly looking post Mo being there. Same in the midfield. Personally I'm not sure how well it'll work having so many offensive players as it'll leave them exposed down the flanks. But until they get the midfielders they need it's hard to judge. I'd rather we got physical midfielders as I thing we are pretty lightweight in there. 

Maybe Edwards/Ward and the other needs were not offering them the type of players they wanted for a new formation and neither are proper directors of football in terms of setting up a club system,they are more scouting and analysts. If Klopp/Ljinders don't like what they are suggesting something needs to change and the coaches are more important imo. 

Different if you had say a Wenger/van Gal type as DOF as they have the coaching experience. 

Overall the reality is we are trying to compete at the very top level without the budget of the other clubs, whether inflated by oil wealth or Chelsea buying and selling half tbe kids in Europe over the past 10 years. It goy us to the top buy then the decision was to not keep investing properly and start replacing aging players. 

Right now Jones,Ox,Keita,Milner all need gone from the midfield. If Fabinho form doesn't cone back in the next 6 months he should be out. After that they need to be looking at a long term partner for Konate. 

The basis of a very good squad is still there and that's why I really can't understand FSG stance. It's obvious they want investment or sale but throwing or even loaning the club at a tiny interest rate 250ml to throw at the midfield now and in tbe summer would push this team to challenge again and keep tbe clubs value and sponsors up. In football terms what is say 250-300ml on 3 of Bellingham,Rice, Caicedo,Kone,Nunes or whoever it is. 

It's peanuts especially when Villa and Wolves have a similar net spend. Newcastle and West Ham dwarf our net spend. A one off spend and you can go back to breaking even for a few years

Our Midfield offers nothing so the full backs are our only release, now teams have cut that off we are blunted aswell as wide open, our assists are way down from the fullbacks. We cant play anywhere near the way Klopp wants us to with the players we have, something has to change and if its not done in the market it needs to be on the tactics board. Yeah the  basis of a very good squad is there but FSG want to put in the absolute minimum they can but walk away with Billions. 

Gakpo is the unknown maybe his introduction will change something.

The 21-year-old Fernandez had already angered his club by defying orders not to fly back to Argentina, and has also infuriated supporters by going home to celebrate New Year's Eve and missing two training sessions. 

He opted to fly to Buenos Aires following the Braga game to spend the New Year with his family, despite not receiving permission from the club

Sounds like he's a tit and perfect for Chelsea

3 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Unless they have someway to avoid paying taxes surely that makes even more sense to spend. Read before that through the 70s that was the philosophy behind signing the young lower league players like Rush at the end of March early April. They figured out what the tax was and just spent it on a player so they avoided giving it to the taxman. Can't remember the book might have been the Paisley one. 

Could be to do with selling the club, showing healthy profits could be more appealing to someone who's never heard of Jude Bellingham. 

51 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Chelsea bidding for everybody and anybody presents Potter with a polar opposite problem to that of Klopp's. 

Still baffles me he took the job and Chelsea appointed him, they're culturally opposed like Pochettino with PSG.

They need the Mourinho's, Zidanes and Ancelotti's who aren't looking to slowly build/instil a philosophy, are happy to jet in to any club for a three year spell and aren't bothered if they leave at the end of it as long as their rep's aren't damaged and they can add a trophy or two to the resume.

Potter's far more a Liverpool/Arsenal style manager than he is a Chelsea.

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Still baffles me he took the job and Chelsea appointed him, they're culturally opposed like Pochettino with PSG.

They need the Mourinho's, Zidanes and Ancelotti's who aren't looking to slowly build/instil a philosophy, are happy to jet in to any club for a three year spell and aren't bothered if they leave at the end of it as long as their rep's aren't damaged and they can add a trophy or two to the resume.

Also, I reckon there's plenty in that dressing room who would only listen to a Zidane or an Ancelotti. 

Just now, El Rojo said:

Also, I reckon there's plenty in that dressing room who would only listen to a Zidane or an Ancelotti. 

I was listening to a podcast the other night where Keiron Dyer said that he'd spoken to a couple of Chelsea players and they don't rate Potter and feel that he's far inferior to Tuchel.

I don't see it working out for him at Chelsea. 

10 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Agree with all that.

I rate Potter really highly and think down the line he could do a job with us. Problem for him now is that he will be forever tarnished so a huge club will be less likely to take a chance on him.

2 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I was listening to a podcast the other night where Keiron Dyer said that he'd spoken to a couple of Chelsea players and they don't rate Potter and feel that he's far inferior to Tuchel.

I don't see it working out for him at Chelsea. 

He's already screwed if that's the case. 

Could this season be a legitimate transitional season like Paisley's in 80/81. We lacked energy in midfield and struggled to 6th in the league. However, the European cup was won and work was ongoing in the background to replace 3 of the excellent 4 midfielders of the previous 3 years - Case McDermott Souness and Kennedy with younsters Lee, Lawrenson (at first) and Whelan. This enabled another 3 years of dominance domestically and another European cup. Hopefully Klopp had a fair idea of the overhaul that would be required when he signed the new contract last year and we just have to suck this season's inconsistency up while the issues are resolved. 

• Upvote 1

It’s becoming clearer by the day that we aren’t signing any more players on this window. 

Been bang obvious we need another midfielder all season, so if we we’re going to sign one then the groundwork would have been done before/during World Cup and it would have been done by now. 

Not happening unfortunately imo. 

Don’t believe we were ever buying Bellingham so I’m fairly relaxed about anything relating to that.

Could probably do with a midfielder this window, but the noises aren’t good at the moment so not expecting that either.

16 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Yes with a view to him being second choice next season, as Kelleher is too good to keep sitting on the bench here. He needs regular first team football.

The dream would be loaning Kelleher out for two years to a really good side and have him ready to take over as number 1 in time.

At the very least, we need a buyback option on him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

The dream would be loaning Kelleher out for two years to a really good side and have him ready to take over as number 1 in time.

Yeah if FSG remain in charge we might have to 'cash in' on Alisson and promote Kelleher to number one.

Another problem we have next season is that if Kelleher, Ox, Milner and Phillips all leave, thats four home grown players out. 

Curtis Jones would take the place of one of them but it still leaves us massively short.

If Southampton go down we should go for Ward-Prowse. I realise that he's not a world beater, but he's home grown, shouldn't cost much and would be a useful squad option.   

39 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Yes with a view to him being second choice next season, as Kelleher is too good to keep sitting on the bench here. He needs regular first team football.

Alisson is injured too often to have the old style no.2 who you're happy to see on the bench but never plays.

They've set up this goalkeeper pipeline now so, if Kelleher does go, you have to reset with a dependable older keeper and Harvey Davies battling out for the No.2 spot with the hope Davies follows Kelleher's trajectory.

Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Adrian got another year and was promoted back to No.2a with Davies 2b.

1 hour ago, devilsadvocate said:

It’s becoming clearer by the day that we aren’t signing any more players on this window. 

Been bang obvious we need another midfielder all season, so if we we’re going to sign one then the groundwork would have been done before/during World Cup and it would have been done by now. 

Not happening unfortunately imo. 

It’s been obvious far longer than that.

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Agree. A club like Brighton would be ideal, also to make them stronger against our rivals and we gain a small advantage like the Mancs do with Henderson at Forest.

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

Yeah if FSG remain in charge we might have to 'cash in' on Alisson and promote Kelleher to number one.

Another problem we have next season is that if Kelleher, Ox, Milner and Phillips all leave, thats four home grown players out. 

Curtis Jones would take the place of one of them but it still leaves us massively short.

If Southampton go down we should go for Ward-Prowse. I realise that he's not a world beater, but he's home grown, shouldn't cost much and would be a useful squad option.   

Ali is the best keeper in the world and I don't want him to leave under any circumstances, but you know what, if they did try that to get funds together for Bellingham etc, I rate Kelleher very highly to step in. Not saying I would approve of it - I'd much rather we sign Bellingham or Caicedo without selling Ali and look at Kelleher going off on loan to Brighton or Dortmund as a sweetener to them and experience for him to come back as number one in time.

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

Could this season be a legitimate transitional season like Paisley's in 80/81. We lacked energy in midfield and struggled to 6th in the league. However, the European cup was won and work was ongoing in the background to replace 3 of the excellent 4 midfielders of the previous 3 years - Case McDermott Souness and Kennedy with younsters Lee, Lawrenson (at first) and Whelan. This enabled another 3 years of dominance domestically and another European cup. Hopefully Klopp had a fair idea of the overhaul that would be required when he signed the new contract last year and we just have to suck this season's inconsistency up while the issues are resolved. 

With Jurgen there, you have to believe he will turn it around and this season could be one of those ones that you look back on and think okay it was shit but it was a springboard. 

I'm probably being ridiculously positive but I don't believe we would prioritise Gakpo for 40 odd million, as good as he is and as good a steal that he is for that price, if we don't have something big lined up for midfield. My gut is that it's Bellingham in the summer - the way he was with Hendo and Trent at the World Cup just seemed to me like a lad who was enjoying being with future team mates. Regardless of whether FSG stay or go, he adds to the value of the club and is as close to a guaranteed success as you can get from a new player. I mean you look at Enzo Fernandez who is arguably better than Belligham and him acting the knobhead with Benfica - you just don't seem to get that shite with Bellingham and that will be noted by Jurgen, as much as how good a player he is.