You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

With Jurgen there, you have to believe he will turn it around and this season could be one of those ones that you look back on and think okay it was shit but it was a springboard. 

I'm probably being ridiculously positive but I don't believe we would prioritise Gakpo for 40 odd million, as good as he is and as good a steal that he is for that price, if we don't have something big lined up for midfield. My gut is that it's Bellingham in the summer - the way he was with Hendo and Trent at the World Cup just seemed to me like a lad who was enjoying being with future team mates. Regardless of whether FSG stay or go, he adds to the value of the club and is as close to a guaranteed success as you can get from a new player. I mean you look at Enzo Fernandez who is arguably better than Belligham and him acting the knobhead with Benfica - you just don't seem to get that shite with Bellingham and that will be noted by Jurgen, as much as how good a player he is.

The problem is Bellingham is not.going.to move to a non CL club.

There’s no risk to Bellingham if he comes to us, CL or not. 

He gets the opportunity to become the main man, taking over the sullied no 8 shirt and making it great again and being a major part of the renaissance playing for one of the most iconic teams on the planet with a manager to match, whereas at Madrid and city he could be just another expensive player who blends into the background. 

He’s got years on his side to go to Spain and try his luck there further down the line.

Print, sign and date on the dotted line Jude. 

32 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

We were his number one choice last summer, and Real Madrid have come out today and said that the player has had bigger financial offers but has got a clear idea where he wants to play, which suggests it can only be us.

As you say though, I can't see him coming here if we're not in the Champions League and I can't see FSG paying what it takes without the champions league money either.

I think he will end up at City now.

37 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

Surely if that was key for him he would have jumped from Dortmund, as not winning CL with them any time soon...idea that player makes mind up on that premise is for the birds, albeit agents/media push the spin I imagine. 

Can't see it happening anyway and until we stop spewing up chances and looking so vulnerable to any team in the Premiership like we did V Brentford, doesn't matter who we sign. They had the ball in the net 5 times, Allison stopped another and that had nothing to do with midfield, technique, ability...it was a combined lack of responsibility by the players on the pitch not doing job. 

5 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Caicedo

Others are already starting rumours

Going to have a great midfield for our assault on the Europa Conference 2023/24

It wouldn’t at all surprise me if it’s linked to Caicedo and the change in his agents.

That burk Grizz Khan was saying something on that earlier.

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

It wouldn’t at all surprise me if it’s linked to Caicedo and the change in his agents.

That burk Grizz Khan was saying something on that earlier.

They all just copy each other and then some blert on a website says it before sky and the daily newspaper repeat it. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SlugTrail said:

Think we could attract him regardless. We have a huge standing in the game and arguably the most iconic manager. He knows how good he is, so would recognise that he can make a huge difference to a very talented squad that needs a bit of a lift to keep it from going into terminal decline.

I could be completely wrong but he didn't seem overly close to the City players when with England. That could mean nothing but my gut is that he has developed friendships with Trent and Hendo.

We have spent big under FSG at times - yeah we have balanced the books big time, but I do think that someone like Bellingham is a no brainer as a signing. Probably a future England captain and brings in a lot of revenue. A well rounded and down to earth lad. Gigantic resale value.