You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

6 minutes ago, dave u said:

That's so weird, I actually took a screenshot of that today as well because I saw the angry orc in the background and thought it was funny. 

image.png

Ghost of Carl Weathers nodding approvingly there too. 

"Some damn fool accused Darwin of being the best."

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I mean, It's not like just saying the guy is intense explains why you'd miss some open goals and most of your 1v1's.

Theorizing that he simply has to "control his emotions" is as much of a guess as anything else as to what is going on.

You believe it to be inexplicable. Except I don't. I think there could be lots of reasons, but for me the most likely of which is he's not calm enough in big situations. It's clear from many of the goals he doesn't lack technique in either heading or kicking a football. There's plenty of evidence to show he has both in abundance. Many people believe he fails when he has too much time to think, except much of his best execution is when he has plenty of time to think - see yesterday as an example of this. @dave uhas theorised he had the yips and after that it was mainly about luck. I don't know much about the yips, so I can't comment on that. I'm not a massive believer in luck is pure luck, I think there are often other things happening that mean there are minute things happening that stops perfect execution. 

However, he has also demonstrated he is highly emotional on many occasions, he certainly has more emotional.dispkays than just about anyone in the league. An inevitable consequence of lacking emotional control, is a failure to completely control his technique in those key moments. In exactly the same way a marksman would try to lower his heart rate before taking a shot, I think Darwin needs to be calmer. Combine this with the incredible speed he plays at, I think once he gains more control of his emotional state in key moments, he will change to Salah level scoring. He might never be able to do that, but we see most footballers gain more control once they hit their mid 20s anyway, so I think there's every chance Darwin will. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You believe it to be inexplicable. Except I don't. I think there could be lots of reasons, but for me the most likely of which is he's not calm enough in big situations. It's clear from many of the goals he doesn't lack technique in either heading or kicking a football. There's plenty of evidence to show he has both in abundance. Many people believe he fails when he has too much time to think, except much of his best execution is when he has plenty of time to think - see yesterday as an example of this. @dave uhas theorised he had the yips and after that it was mainly about luck. I don't know much about the yips, so I can't comment on that. I'm not a massive believer in luck is pure luck, I think there are often other things happening that mean there are minute things happening that stops perfect execution. 

However, he has also demonstrated he is highly emotional on many occasions, he certainly has more emotional.dispkays than just about anyone in the league. An inevitable consequence of lacking emotional control, is a failure to completely control his technique in those key moments. In exactly the same way a marksman would try to lower his heart rate before taking a shot, I think Darwin needs to be calmer. Combine this with the incredible speed he plays at, I think once he gains more control of his emotional state in key moments, he will change to Salah level scoring. He might never be able to do that, but we see most footballers gain more control once they hit their mid 20s anyway, so I think there's every chance Darwin will. 

I mean, I don't think it's literally inexplicable. I have thought of explanations as well. It's just hard to believe the contrast in the finishing at times. 

I have said, if there's an explanation above others (there's probably a combination of things) for me, it's that he a lot of times is not in control of his body.

It's a bit similar to yours where he plays with a lot of intensity and athleticism so that means he often contorts his body in weird ways that can lead to some awesome finishes and at the same time, some terrible ones. When he is in control, he's probably not much worse at finishing than anybody else.

1 hour ago, dave u said:

That's so weird, I actually took a screenshot of that today as well because I saw the angry orc in the background and thought it was funny. 

image.png

If that was Haaland that biff would probably have his phone out taking pics and be applauding.

• Upvote 2

For me it is down to how highly strung he is.

The more highly strung a person is the more nervy they can be in pressure situations, nerves lead to rushing, poor technique through rushing/trying too hard etc and poor decision making.

It may seem like an odd comparison but bear with me - I have played darts for many, many years, at one time to a decentish standard. These days I am just a dead average pub player - I gave up drinking a couple or so ago and have found it incredibly hard to play well without the ale in our pub league....i suffer with nerves terribly - even though it is just pub league stuff.

The ale used to take the edge off and relax me, 5/6 pints was the sweet spot and everything was fine but without it i really struggle....heart rate is up, hand is shaky and i am tight and tense - as a result i snatch darts, i pull darts and i end up putting shoulder into shots - end result is my darts don't all go where i want them to/need them too - the nerves affect my technique.

I am a highly strung individual.

The thing is though on our practice nights i play well - there is no nerves as no 'match pressure' no pressure on wanting to do well for myself and the team and winning - i am calmer, more in control and relaxed and as a result my technique is spot on, i don't snatch and pull, the shoulder does not come into play, i am steadier and i just throw more accurately.

When it goes well on match night, i tend to settle a bit and play better, but if it is hard work/maybe having a bit of bad luck the tightness really kicks in and it can go wrong quickly and badly and the technique starts to creak and the bad darts start to come - even the good ones often do not feel right...

I feel with Nunez there is a big element of this.....obviously alcohol is not involved but the chemicals in your body and brain when nervous or tense and when calm and in control are a factor and they massively impact a person and their actions.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I mean, I don't think it's literally inexplicable. I have thought of explanations as well. It's just hard to believe the contrast in the finishing at times. 

I have said, if there's an explanation above others (there's probably a combination of things) for me, it's that he a lot of times is not in control of his body.

It's a bit similar to yours where he plays with a lot of intensity and athleticism so that means he often contorts his body in weird ways that can lead to some awesome finishes and at the same time, some terrible ones. When he is in control, he's probably not much worse at finishing than anybody else.

I think without doubt, some of the chance he misses, are because of how he contorts his body. In this regard haaland can be similar and misses a whole bunch of chances because of it. In fact I would say with haaland that's why he misses the majority of his chances. I don't see that the same with Nunez, which is why at times he misses from 6 yards out almost standing still. For me that's because he's not calm enough. I think the description that @an tha gives above, is pretty similar to what I am trying to say. 

So it's simple, 6 pints before each match and 2 at half time to top him up. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think without doubt, some of the chance he misses, are because of how he contorts his body. In this regard haaland can be similar and misses a whole bunch of chances because of it. In fact I would say with haaland that's why he misses the majority of his chances. I don't see that the same with Nunez, which is why at times he misses from 6 yards out almost standing still. For me that's because he's not calm enough. I think the description that @an tha gives above, is pretty similar to what I am trying to say. 

So it's simple, 6 pints before each match and 2 at half time to top him up. 

Job done!

On 18/02/2024 at 22:25, an tha said:

For me it is down to how highly strung he is.

The more highly strung a person is the more nervy they can be in pressure situations, nerves lead to rushing, poor technique through rushing/trying too hard etc and poor decision making.

It may seem like an odd comparison but bear with me - I have played darts for many, many years, at one time to a decentish standard. These days I am just a dead average pub player - I gave up drinking a couple or so ago and have found it incredibly hard to play well without the ale in our pub league....i suffer with nerves terribly - even though it is just pub league stuff.

The ale used to take the edge off and relax me, 5/6 pints was the sweet spot and everything was fine but without it i really struggle....heart rate is up, hand is shaky and i am tight and tense - as a result i snatch darts, i pull darts and i end up putting shoulder into shots - end result is my darts don't all go where i want them to/need them too - the nerves affect my technique.

I am a highly strung individual.

The thing is though on our practice nights i play well - there is no nerves as no 'match pressure' no pressure on wanting to do well for myself and the team and winning - i am calmer, more in control and relaxed and as a result my technique is spot on, i don't snatch and pull, the shoulder does not come into play, i am steadier and i just throw more accurately.

When it goes well on match night, i tend to settle a bit and play better, but if it is hard work/maybe having a bit of bad luck the tightness really kicks in and it can go wrong quickly and badly and the technique starts to creak and the bad darts start to come - even the good ones often do not feel right...

I feel with Nunez there is a big element of this.....obviously alcohol is not involved but the chemicals in your body and brain when nervous or tense and when calm and in control are a factor and they massively impact a person and their actions.

I can relate to this only too well! 

49 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You're hilarious, you. Post snide shite about people criticizing him and then you compare him to Origi. 

I expected a humour bypass from you,but not the others.

If he grabs a winning CL final goal or keeps nabbing winners against the blueshite I'll be happy with sarcastic comparisons. 

PS,shut up you Johnny Come Lately to Football from whatever games you play in the snow that makes you know everything about football.