You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Code, it's a stupid point. He had 2 assists on Sunday in a game you're crying about him not scoring. 

I’m sure they’re recorded as such, but I think counting what Nunez did on Sunday as “assists” is a bit of a stretch.

Just now, Paulie Dangerously said:

Playing the ball in the box to a player who then scored? The second one was ropey but to discredit the first one is mad. 

There was a big deflection for the first goal, I can’t tell if it was going in otherwise.

14 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

I’m sure they’re recorded as such, but I think counting what Nunez did on Sunday as “assists” is a bit of a stretch.

Not really, it's just a measure showing that he was playing an active role in our attacking unit, not that he had a playmaking masterclass.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Not really, it's just a measure showing that he was playing an active role in our attacking unit, not that he had a playmaking masterclass.

True enough. When I hear “assists”, I tend to think of the latter.

I always remember Son scoring a worldie for spurs the other year against Burnley (I think). He runs it from his own half, beats about 5 men before smashing it in the net.

Commentators - but what about that pass from Harry Kane for the assist.

He played him a 5 yard pass in his own half. 

10 hours ago, Supremolad said:

Bollocks. He had a direct contribution to the first two goals we scored yesterday. And won the penalty in the game vs City.

Also he has previously scored against Arsenal, Man Utd, City and assisted vs Chelsea. Yeah, he scores more against the minnows. But guess what, all top strikers rack up majority of their stats against minnows because 1) There are many more minnows in comparison to top teams and 2) Because the minnows have worse defences, top strikers tend to score and assist more against them.

Stop it with this common sense lark. You know how it works on here.

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

Spot on. He spends all of the game either creating space for others or himself with his running. And when he gets the ball in dangerous areas, he has the awareness to bring his team mates in. The lay off for the 1st was a great piece of football. The one for the second was a decent shot the keeper could only push to Salah. It doesn't happen if it isn't for the good attacking work from Nunez again.

And @Kevin D would you also take Macca's goal off him as it defected in?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

I always remember Son scoring a worldie for spurs the other year against Burnley (I think). He runs it from his own half, beats about 5 men before smashing it in the net.

Commentators - but what about that pass from Harry Kane for the assist.

He played him a 5 yard pass in his own half. 

Dani Alves to Messi against Bilbao.

He gets the assist for Messi dribbling past the whole Bilbao team and slotting it in the bottom corner and it's given the same weight as Mane's reverse pass to Salah against UTD.

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think people may be struggling to understand what expectations are. He is now a better player than he was last year. Awesome. Now, become the main man you were signed to be. 

I don't think he was signed to be the 'main man', nobody under Klopp has, maybe Van Dijk to an extent but they're all signed to be building blocks of a squad/team.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Mook said:

I don't think he was signed to be the 'main man', nobody under Klopp has, maybe Van Dijk to an extent but they're all signed to be building blocks of a squad/team.

There's no doubt he was signed to be the player who could gradually replace Salah as the big numbers getter.

Diaz was a quality player in Portugal but there's no way we thought he could provide huge numbers in a season. And Gakpo never suggested he would come close to this either. 

We have a group of attackers where the goal is ultimately to be versatile and to send tidal waves of quality players at the opposition and wear them down, but Darwin is the one guy where his level of threat suggests he could be the big boy if things progressed. The fee indicates this as well.

On 19/03/2024 at 08:19, Barrington Womble said:

Spot on. He spends all of the game either creating space for others or himself with his running. And when he gets the ball in dangerous areas, he has the awareness to bring his team mates in. The lay off for the 1st was a great piece of football. The one for the second was a decent shot the keeper could only push to Salah. It doesn't happen if it isn't for the good attacking work from Nunez again.

And @Kevin D would you also take Macca's goal off him as it defected in?

I would take the goal off Macallister and award it to Thiago.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...