You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

4 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I went past a pub near the ground today and someone on stage was singing a Nuñez song to the tune of some Italian operatic drinking song. (I'm not sophistimicated enough to know what it was called.)

It sounded boss. I'd love it to take off.

(He also sang the Diaz Bella Ciao song which needs to make it into the ground.)

I was in hotel pub/restaurant last night in Prescott and I was listening to a few lads, who to be fair weren’t on their first drink, singing a Szoboszlai song to the tune of Don’t You Want Me by The Human League. 

I couldn’t hear all the words but it got me humming along. 

It was probably shit. I don’t have a great ear for these things. 

32 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Keep seeing how he "missed a sitter" but I don't think it was a sitter. He was on the turn under pressure and hit it first time and it went narrowly wide.

I’m not sure.  Top level strikers are scoring those, or at the very least hitting the target. And that’s what we are expecting of Nunez. If he is goi g to lead the line of a team expecting to challenge for the top titles then he needs to be performing to that level. He seems to miss those types of chances quite a bit, thus why they are analysed more (and not because of some made up idea he’s suffering over-analysis as argued by @dave u in the last pod). 

Too often he is treated like a kid up from the u21s who we need to give time to.  He’s not that. He’s £60m footballer who needs to be at the top level now if he is going to lead the line of a team expecting to challenge for league and European titles. Look at the teams expected to challenge for the CL this year and look at their strikers and that’s where Nunez needs to be performing (other than that freak Haaland).

Having said all that, I think he’s very good and I want him starting. But I don’t think we need to sugarcoat what he is doing or pretend that he hasn’t got some glaring issues that he needs to work on. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Found it.

Funiculí, Funiculá .  I couldn't catch most of the lines, but the "Darwin! Nuñez! Na nana nanaa" bit was catchy as fuck.

I've heard that song. I would never in all my life thought it was that tune though. It seems about as true to the original tune as Vvd's dirty old town. 

16 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I’m not sure.  Top level strikers are scoring those, or at the very least hitting the target. And that’s what we are expecting of Nunez. If he is goi g to lead the line of a team expecting to challenge for the top titles then he needs to be performing to that level. He seems to miss those types of chances quite a bit, thus why they are analysed more (and not because of some made up idea he’s suffering over-analysis as argued by @dave u in the last pod). 

Too often he is treated like a kid up from the u21s who we need to give time to.  He’s not that. He’s £60m footballer who needs to be at the top level now if he is going to lead the line of a team expecting to challenge for league and European titles. Look at the teams expected to challenge for the CL this year and look at their strikers and that’s where Nunez needs to be performing (other than that freak Haaland).

Having said all that, I think he’s very good and I want him starting. But I don’t think we need to sugarcoat what he is doing or pretend that he hasn’t got some glaring issues that he needs to work on. 

Haaland is still scoring for fun this season but has missed a fair few chances also. 

I dont care if Darwin is missing chances, Mo has always missed chances but we are happy with him. 

If he keeps improving his all-round game and he keeps up his goal per minutes played ratio, he will be a huge favourite.

Screenshot_20230925_080005_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Did you see that Jesus miss on motd last night? Would have put arsenal 2 up. It was merely remarked upon and Jesus didn’t even make amends by scoring from a more difficult chance. All strikers miss the gilt edged, putting it right is what makes a goodun. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bossy said:

Did you see that Jesus miss on motd last night? Would have put arsenal 2 up. It was merely remarked upon and Jesus didn’t even make amends by scoring from a more difficult chance. All strikers miss the gilt edged, putting it right is what makes a goodun. 

Probably because Jesus hasn't made a habit out of it and has a body of work behind him, in the premier league, that buys him more lenience. His all round game has always been good as well.

Problem comes when your all round game has been shit and you're missing the chances you should be putting away on a consistent basis like Nunez was doing last season. That sets the expectation and then when it continues into the next season it becomes more of a talking point.

Salah has always been a volume striker, but he's also playing on the right wing so the chances are that much harder because you're shooting in the areas of the penalty area that are statistically less likely to lead to goals. It's why Salah scoring 30 goals is always going to be more impressive than Kane scoring 30 goals and why Nunez needs to be sticking these chances between the width of the posts that he keeps missing away.

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Probably because Jesus hasn't made a habit out of it and has a body of work behind him, in the premier league, that buys him more lenience. His all round game has always been good as well.

Problem comes when your all round game has been shit and you're missing the chances you should be putting away on a consistent basis like Nunez was doing last season. That sets the expectation and then when it continues into the next season it becomes more of a talking point.

Salah has always been a volume striker, but he's also playing on the right wing so the chances are that much harder because you're shooting in the areas of the penalty area that are statistically less likely to lead to goals. It's why Salah scoring 30 goals is always going to be more impressive than Kane scoring 30 goals and why Nunez needs to be sticking these chances between the width of the posts that he keeps missing away.

Tough crowd. 

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

Haaland is still scoring for fun this season but has missed a fair few chances also. 

I dont care if Darwin is missing chances, Mo has always missed chances but we are happy with him. 

If he keeps improving his all-round game and he keeps up his goal per minutes played ratio, he will be a huge favourite.

Screenshot_20230925_080005_Chrome.jpg

I agree with everything you're saying there.  I'm just saying it was a poor miss, and he has quite a number of them.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

The most helpful thing we could do for Nunez, is stop comparing him to haaland. 

Absolutely.  And I say as much in my comment above.  Haaland is a freak and out on his own.

1 hour ago, bossy said:

I've seen Messi and Ronaldo miss easy chances.  Using single events as an example of anything is always a bit pointless I think.  I also think Jesus is a level below.  But the issue is that Nunez misses quite a number of chances where he should be doing better for his level and ceiling.

BUT JUST TO SAY AGAIN - I THINK NUNEZ IS VERY GOOD AND CAN BECOME EXCELLENT.  I JUST DON'T THINK WE NEED TO MAKE EXCUSES FOR HIM WHEN HE HAS A BAD MISS.  THE MISS BEFORE HIS EXCELLENT GOAL YESTERDAY WAS A BAD MISS. 

Just now, JohnnyH said:

I agree with everything you're saying there.  I'm just saying it was a poor miss, and he has quite a number of them.

Absolutely.  And I say as much in my comment above.  Haaland is a freak and out on his own.

I've seen Messi and Ronaldo miss easy chances.  Using single events as an example of anything is always a bit pointless I think.  I also think Jesus is a level below.  But the issue is that Nunez misses quite a number of chances where he should be doing better for his level and ceiling.

BUT JUST TO SAY AGAIN - I THINK NUNEZ IS VERY GOOD AND CAN BECOME EXCELLENT.  I JUST DON'T THINK WE NEED TO MAKE EXCUSES FOR HIM WHEN HE HAS A BAD MISS.  THE MISS BEFORE HIS EXCELLENT GOAL YESTERDAY WAS A BAD MISS. 

I didn’t make an excuse as such. He missed one then scored another is the reality of it, and he’s scored and assisted throughout the season so far. He’s doing his job at the moment. 

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

jesus hasn't made a habit out of missing chances? aside from about 6 weeks last season, it's been his career body of work in this country. 

there is an agenda amongst the "shit andy carroll" brigade of our rivals and it would seem plenty of our own fans, who decided before we signed him, they didn't want him. So there is this specific narrative that applies to Nunez and absolutely no other footballer in the 50 years I have been watching football. He is expected to never miss. It's never been an expectation of any player before. They all miss. Salah missed an easy one yesterday in the first half, in a central area, that most people would barely remember. If Nunez had missed it, all the usual suspects would be crying about it. 

It's frankly pathetic. 

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

jesus hasn't made a habit out of missing chances? aside from about 6 weeks last season, it's been his career body of work in this country. 

there is an agenda amongst the "shit andy carroll" brigade of our rivals and it would seem plenty of our own fans, who decided before we signed him, they didn't want him. So there is this specific narrative that applies to Nunez and absolutely no other footballer in the 50 years I have been watching football. He is expected to never miss. It's never been an expectation of any player before. They all miss. Salah missed an easy one yesterday in the first half, in a central area, that most people would barely remember. If Nunez had missed it, all the usual suspects would be crying about it. 

It's frankly pathetic. 

As someone else said, Ronaldo and Messi would be given more lenience because of their body of work as other players are given more lenience, like Salah, because of the quality of chances, number of goals he scores, his all round game etc.

If you want to miss 'easy' chances, or you want to be judged on more than your goal scoring (Firmino) then you have to have something else to your game. Last season Nunez didn't so he was missing a lot and not contributing a massive amount.

We can fire out all the chaos/peacock, style nonsense all we want in defense of him but he needs to be putting away the bread and butter chances and contributing more in the rest of the game (which he's done more of this season) and then the questions go away and his game will look far more sustainable rather than this cult hero/mascot thing that's been going on since he got here.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

As someone else said, Ronaldo and Messi would be given more lenience because of their body of work as other players are given more lenience, like Salah, because of the quality of chances, number of goals he scores, his all round game etc.

If you want to miss 'easy' chances, or you want to be judged on more than your goal scoring (Firmino) then you have to have something else to your game. Last season Nunez didn't so he was missing a lot and not contributing a massive amount.

We can fire out all the chaos/peacock, style nonsense all we want in defense of him but he needs to be putting away the bread and butter chances and contributing more in the rest of the game (which he's done more of this season) and then the questions go away and his game will look far more sustainable rather than this cult hero/mascot thing that's been going on since he got here.

OK.  He just needs to do exactly what he's doing this season and then the questions will go away?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

fuck me. you are comparing him to messi and ronaldo? well he's going to come up short on that measurement i can promise you. 

as for the rest, stop being hung up on last season, the whole season was an abomination and the only players that really came out with any credit were Alisson and bajcetic and bajcetic's reputation increased because of his injury. watch what Nunez is doing now. he is playing brilliantly well. he is linking play, he is working hard defensively and offensively, he is assisting goals and scoring goals. it's absolutely everything you want from a number 9. and guess what? he misses some. instead of being focussed completely on the chances he's missing, just try for a minute to enjoy the good all he's doing throughout the game. you seem absolutely desperate for him to fail and bringing messi and ronaldo into it, just emphasises your desperation. 

• Upvote 2