You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Round 1. Pet Shop Boys vs Cream

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Round 1. Pet Shop Boys vs Cream  

59 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Round 1. Pet Shop Boys vs Cream

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/08/20 at 08:51

13 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience are similar in this regard to The Police - 2 English dudes and 1 American dude.

The Police are considered a British band, so I'd be interested in hearing why JHE would not be.

If The Police were called The Stewart Copeland Experience & he was the front man who wrote 95% of the songs on his own, it would be a more valid comparison.

Personally I wouldn't have had The Police down as a British band myself.

24 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience are similar in this regard to The Police - 2 English dudes and 1 American dude.

The Police are considered a British band, so I'd be interested in hearing why JHE would not be.

Because as much as Redding and Mitchell where part of the band it was Jimi band from day one. And he ended up recording a fair amount of his own bass from what I read

Cream are boring as fuck. Which is weird cos theyve got all the ingredients I would like in a band. But... no. Too much chin stroking and hanging out in mansions in southern England secretly hoping one of the Beatles might turn up. 

Pet Shop Boys are one of the great pop bands. Their B sides album Alternative is brilliant. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Because as much as Redding and Mitchell where part of the band it was Jimi band from day one. And he ended up recording a fair amount of his own bass from what I read

Redding thought he was coming down to audition to play guitar with The Animals, but Chas Chandler thought he had cool hair so asked him to play bass in the Experience  

41 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Redding thought he was coming down to audition to play guitar with The Animals, but Chas Chandler thought he had cool hair so asked him to play bass in the Experience  

He's always seems a right miserable fucker when I've seen him interviewed. 

Mind you walking into the studio to find Jimi not only playing guitar, vocals and fucking around in the desk he's also playing your bass parts can't be fun. 

Just now, Lee909 said:

He's always seems a right miserable fucker when I've seen him interviewed. 

Mind you walking into the studio to find Jimi not only playing guitar, vocals and fucking around in the desk he's also playing your bass parts can't be fun. 

He did get a song on a couple of classic albums.

Unfortunately they are by far the worst songs on each album.

8 hours ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

The final verdict was who is the front. I tried to suggest The Pretenders as British and that was the reasoning.

8 minutes ago, aws said:

A band who were one of the foundation stones in the development of the blues and rock in this country or a band who made a few catchy songs. Tough call. 

You forgot to mention the Pet Shop Boys have sold over 100 million records and are the most successful duo in UK music history. 

21 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

You forgot to mention the Pet Shop Boys have sold over 100 million records and are the most successful duo in UK music history. 

Couldn't lace Pat & Mick's boots...

20 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

No accounting for taste eh. To be honest I have probably heard and liked more Pet Shop Boys stuff than cream but Cream are an iconic band with some of the greatest musicians of the last 60 years. Pet Shop Boys are a catchy synth pop 80s band and one of many. If you are going on records sold then why aren't Bananarama in the contest?

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

No accounting for taste eh. To be honest I have probably heard and liked more Pet Shop Boys stuff than cream but Cream are an iconic band with some of the greatest musicians of the last 60 years. Pet Shop Boys are a catchy synth pop 80s band and one of many. If you are going on records sold then why aren't Bananarama in the contest?

Because take that sold more.

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

They will go in the girl group one I've got lined up. 

9 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Should they mentioned in same breath? 

Clapton and Pet Shop Boys have both won the Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music, and they've both won the Ivor Novello Award for Outstanding Contribution to British Music.

So... yes?

• Upvote 1