You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

4 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I'd love to see their wheels come flying off, defeat after defeat, Howe and his odious backroom all given the chop, and see them in a relegation fight with the shite.

The arrogance of these deluded cunts really is something to behold.

Was chop an intentional choice of words there? 

In the pre-season predictions I said they'd be lucky to finish top half. Unless they are as lucky this year with injuries as they were last season, I stand by that. They have some very average players in their squad. With 3 games a week, and the intesity they play at, they'll either have to use the same 13 players and risk injury or play weak teams. I think they'll struggle with it. 

Howe isnt exactly experienced there either

I think it's fanciful to imagine that Newcastle will finish in the bottom half. However, it would be a surprise to see them finish as highly as they did last season. I was expecting them to go on a Chelsea-style shopping spree, but that hasn't materialised.

It'll be interesting to see how they do this year. As much as I despise the snivelling little line-toeing shithouse, Howe is a good coach and proved it absolutely last year. But this year he'll have to manage two games a week regularly - both the squad management that comes with that but also, perhaps most crucially for him, the halving of your tactical preparation time. You can't spend all week working on a plan for Sunday's game and drilling it into your players when you've got Napoli away on the Wednesday - nor can you just keep the same 11 and rely on it's inherent cohesion to carry you through.

He may well be fine: I think they know they've qualified for the CL 'early' and it's not like they particularly need the cash so they might be satisfied with an honourable group stage exit so they can prioritise coming back next year with more experience and more £££ invested in the squad. But equally I can't see the Saudis appreciating even one step backwards on their latest geopolitical offensive so he might find himself joining Tindall on the beds and a bigger name supplanting him if he flounders.

Tonali is a very good addition and Barnes is better than that St. Maximin showboater, but they haven’t done much else and have European football to contend with now.

They started last year well, but it was a weird season. Because of their higher profile, I expect teams will set up more defensive against them this season, so it will be up to them to break teams down rather than play on the break and we saw they struggled with that on Sunday.

They have just 44 points from their 26 league games, since the World Cup and were 7th in the post World Cup league table (23 games) so maybe that trend has started already. 

I may be wrong but I think they will struggle. 

17 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Howe is a decent enough manager but he’ll be gone if they don’t get top 4 again, they’ll get a hiding in the CL this season. 

The owners will be itching for a big European name on the dugout 

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.  That’s a big name. 

• Upvote 2

Smaller teams always forget how playing in Europe really impacts PL performances. They wanted champions league, they got it so they shouldn't complain.

I think Eddie Howe will be found out this season for being the time wasting bastards they were last year. Go out the champions league in the group stages and perform poorly in the league. At least that is what I hope.

• Upvote 2

On 30/08/2023 at 14:06, Razoray said:

Tonali is a very good addition and Barnes is better than that St. Maximin showboater, but they haven’t done much else and have European football to contend with now.

They started last year well, but it was a weird season. Because of their higher profile, I expect teams will set up more defensive against them this season, so it will be up to them to break teams down rather than play on the break and we saw they struggled with that on Sunday.

They have just 44 points from their 26 league games, since the World Cup and were 7th in the post World Cup league table (23 games) so maybe that trend has started already. 

I may be wrong but I think they will struggle. 

44 points from 27 games now. Sky just put up a graphic that said they have just 2 clean sheets in their last 22 games. They had 12 in their previous 20. The drop-off since the world cup has been stark. 

Howe will be lucky to survive Christmas. 

2 minutes ago, Razoray said:

44 points from 27 games now. Sky just put up a graphic that said they have just 2 clean sheets in their last 22 games. They had 12 in their previous 20. The drop-off since the world cup has been stark. 

"Hi Mr Howe, we've booked you a flight, the Sheikh would like you to come  for a cha.... Eddie? Eddie are you there?"

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9525pk77tjsx101vfho7n

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Razoray said:

He'll be lucky to survive Halloween and Bommy nite....